Thread: Rage Syndrome

Question Rage Syndrome

I know a friend through a forum, they bought a mixed cocker spaniel puppy, love him and raise him as their own kid. Now the dog just turned one year old, and started to show rage syndrome, attacking the owner for no reason. The bite was quite bad (they showed me the injury picture)...and this is not the first time attack.The young couple was thinking of giving up the dog for adoption.

I personally think it is not easy to find a good home for him, as the adopter has to be very experienced in handling this kind of rage syndrome dog. But to euthanize the dog also very cruel too...any other suggestion?

veterinary hospital

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i had to put down my 6 yr old springer last year for similar reasons.. there is no such thing as cruel if the dog will be destroyed if it bites some one. and causes injury to a child or other. how would your friend feel then?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

RMK

Default not good

I had a friend with a cocker spaniel that did the same thing. He turned on his owner. They never took a chance since they had young kids. It was tough, but they put him down.

I suggested this in another thread. Join some cocker spaniel forums and ask if this problem is common in this breed? If so, maybe they could suggest a solution. Do you know if the dog has an injury or sore spot. Sometimes if you touch that area they will bite you. You could take him to a vet and see if there's a medical problem causing this. Is he protective of his food/toys/owner? When do the attacks occur, random/bedtime/dinnertime? Hope this helps.

Cockers are real prone to this type of behavior. Years ago when I worked as a vet tech I was more fearful of getting bit by a cocker than any other breed of dog out there. I have seen some really great cockers but I don't think I would ever trust one around my kids.

As for putting him down. Its the right thing. Giving him away is just pushing the problem off to some other person. Its never easy putting a pet down but sometimes it just has to be done.

we had to put down a male springer because of that. probably smartest dog i've owned. attacked our adult daughter as she dozed off and quit scratching him. zero tolerance here for that, ( same daughter spent 9 days in hospital from dog attack, separate incident, some one elses dog) We have two grand daughters that were small at the time and would not take a chance.
    the dog was perfectly normal 30 seconds later.
    I did not feel it was right to pass this problem off. it is thought to be like a seizure disorder but appearently no meds to correct it , at least there weren't then that has been 7-8 years ago. check with your vet , get up to date info then make the decision on what to do.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Traditionally Cockers (American and English) are among the least aggressive of the dog breeds. "Marry Cocker" was a common nick name for the breed for a long time. I think most are still very good natured but, more and more are prone to this each year. The problem is in the breeding. To many people are breeding bad dogs to bad dogs and this is the kinda problem that you get. Any one who knows me knows how much of a soft spot I have for my dog ( an English Cocker) and for dogs in general. However I draw the line on my kindness when it comes to mean dogs. As much as you my have come to love this dog I suggest you put it down and not give it away.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Any dog that bites its God(human) should be put down. How would you feel if you gave it up and it killed a child?
    I had a dog with this rage thing it would get a look in its eye and attack.I was talked into neutering by the vet instead of putting it down. I could have had a vasectomy with out surgery one morning all I did was reach down and scratch his ear and said morning next thing I knew he had me by the crotch on the floor both sides laid open.

Don't pass the problem along.