Thread: Camping options for April?

Default Camping options for April?

Hey guys,
    I could use some advice on camping ideas/areas for April. Access to ATV trials and fishing is what I’m looking for. I live in the Valley, and wouldn’t mind travelling a few hours if needed.
    It may be a bit early in the year and open areas may be limited, but April is the only time I’ll be home until later this summer, and the wife and I are itching to get out.
    Thanks all!

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Denali Highway

I suggest the Denali Highway. It's 137 mi across from Cantwell to Paxson and vice versa. There are tons of places to camp along the raod and off the road. More places to stop and fish that you can shake a stick at and the beauty is outstanding.

Thanks Bushrat....

That's just what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

I don't believe that the Denali Highway is open to vehicles in April. It IS a great trip. The lakes will not be open until Memorial Day... at least.

April is tough for ATVing/Camping. Maybe try for a Homer early fishing trip or something out of Seward. You may be able to ATV out on the ice fishing lakes, but you would need ice fishing gear. Stay on the packed snow. Weather is everything.

Mike

Thanks Dirt…
    I was afraid April would be a bit early. I was looking at a few campgrounds around Seward…..I’ll keep on it!
    Thanks again!

Are you depoyed military?

Negative, but I am a contractor attached.

RMK

Default bring warm stuff

I've headed out in April for camping. I hit "Whiskey Gulch" (near Anchor Point) before the snow was gone, and the leaves were out.

The snow load is really going to dictate where you can go. The public campgrounds just wont be open if there is still snow. I'm not sure if you're thinking tent or RV, because that makes a big difference.

I would take the advice to go south unless you're truly seeking winter camping. Bring warm stuff for sure! Heck, it's even cold in May for the most part.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

April is still camper time for us up north here the kids and i run out a good bit of it setting up spring bear sites.

the Penn.. homer Seward should be doable, though Seward will still likely be wet with plenty of snow... i am unsure of the Homer area... i was very surprised last year we went to Kenai, Ninilchik, and homer for 4 days over the mem weekend in may... Fairbanks was much further along into the spring then was that end of the state. all our leaves were out and Ninilchik was still starting.

Denali will be a no/go most of April they normally start plowing it end of April to early may. over the years there have been plenty of folks attempt early runs across only to be drift bound for several days until some one decides to report them missing...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default snow

If we don't get any more snow around Fairbanks by that time we may be snow free. Like others have said it all depends on the weather. March is my favorite month to be in AK personally. Lots of white snow, long sunny days, and NO BUGS! But April aint bad.

Some of the beaches might be open on the Kenai and there could be a good clamming tides, which may substitute for fishing. Check the tide tables.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.