Thread: Fishingtrip September 2010

Default Fishingtrip September 2010

Dear Friends

I need a advice. We are four Flyfishers from Switzerland and absolutly Alaska-lovers! We war several times fishing in Alaska, Kenai, Lake creek, Moraine and Kvichak river.

So now my big question: We will go fishing to the Aleutians end of September for a week.
    Before , we will have two weeks of roadside-fishing with a camper ( We love this kind of fishing very much!)

It is better go to Kenai?

Or the other side, direction Fairbanks?

We are great speycaster and love fishing with light tackle in samll waters too.
    thank you for the advices!

Greetings from Switzerland

Roman

It all depends what you're after. I've never fished the Glenn nor Parks Highways but some of those streams are supposed to hold decent rainbows such as Montana Creek. The farther north you go, the bigger the grayling get and from what I've heard they are fairly abundant. Somebody from the valley will probably chip in some information for fishing that area.

The Kenai is stellar in September but you're going to be limited for covering water with walk-in fishing. Quartz Creek will have good dolly and rainbow fishing, the Russian will have rainbows and some silvers, you could fish the Trail Lakes system near Moose Pass although I've never done it myself. The best fishing on the Kenai is accessed by drift boat but you can always fish the Canyon via Hidden Creek Trail or Kenai River Trail. But there will be a lot of bears out and about that time of year. You can also fish steelhead on the South Peninsula streams but that's turned into a bit of a zoo. You can find some quiet on the weekdays if you're lucky.

Hopefully this info helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwilli View Post
    It is better go to Kenai?
    Yes

Or the other side, direction Fairbanks?
    No

If you would prefer a raft and a remote float trip to that RV, shoot me a PM. I know a few rivers that would make great float trips in early/mid Sept. A remote float trip is the best way to see Alaska in my opinion.

A few pics from our assorted floats below...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

September is a tricky month, the Kenai gets pounded, and the rivers can be flooded. I fish lakes in September, its the best time to fish them, the big fish are super agressive and you can still use dries, where everything else is a streamer or bead game. The only road side salmon are the Kenai

I will of course be running from this madhouse of a state for some relaxing fishing in Montana, hopefully I'll stay long enough to hit the october caddis hatch

Good Luck in the Aluetians! That sounds epic
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Any roadside stream can be a madhouse. The kenai can be very very productive and not cost a fortune. If you can avoid saturdays and sundays. Mon-thur on the kenai in the fall is a pleasure.

Hey Monkey. What weight rod do you use to catch those Caddies. I bet when they hatch they are full of piss and vinager. Gots to put up one hell of a fight
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The streams up north in the valley are great options too. Although a madhouse at the highway, with a little bit of hiking, good fishing can be had with fewer people. Not gonna get away from them completely, but not as many
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default kenai in sept tricky?

No sir the kenai in september as a matter of FACT.... is Very easy. cast bead, catch fish.... finding a spot to cast the bead, thats the tricky part

Jose
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    No sir the kenai in september as a matter of FACT.... is Very easy. cast bead, catch fish.... finding a spot to cast the bead, thats the tricky part

Jose
    Very true my man very true. Then again there are those places too

Default Fishing September 2010

Hi Guys

thank you for the advices!

So I think we will go to Kenai, a little bit "Madhouse" are good for us!

After the Aleutian Trip we have five days until flight home. Maybe we drive a couple of days direction Talkeetna. Five days are very long to stay in the Bushcompany!

Maybe I book a Trip with Troutfitters. What is your advice, Canyon or middle River? The middle River is not easy for a hike in or difficult to fishing from the shore.

What is Troutstock? Maybe a kind of Flyfisher Party?
    We would participate gladly...

We can hardly expect it!!!

Greetings

Roman

Trout Fitters is an excellent choice. Billy, Dusty and the crew there run a top knotch outfit. They are good people and do know how to put thier clients on fish. You cant go wrong there

Troutstock. Hmmmmmm How do I describe it. It is around 14 days of fishing, eating, sharing a fire, stories, adult beverages and friendship. Just a bunch of forum members who make their way down to the kenai for anywhere from 1 day to 14 to just fish and play. alot of fun and open to all.

Default Don't Do it! Run!

WildWilli

Don't drink the cool-aid run nothing to see there just evil fisherman doing bad things.

No Chuck No! Don't cast your spell.

Look into the bead, your getting sleepy, your relaxing your feeling as if you had not had a fly rod in your hand all day. See the bead, be the bead feeling sleepy.

:-) Sorry man just had to go there!

Actaully I hope to make this years session my-self! Enjoy your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    WildWilli

Don't drink the cool-aid run nothing to see there just evil fisherman doing bad things.

No Chuck No! Don't cast your spell.

Look into the bead, your getting sleepy, your relaxing your feeling as if you had not had a fly rod in your hand all day. See the bead, be the bead feeling sleepy.

:-) Sorry man just had to go there!

Actaully I hope to make this years session my-self! Enjoy your trip!

LOL. Good stuff Moose. Put a smile on my face this morning. I just got a pm from a guy and might do a day run walk in to the kenai saturday. I cant make the decision untill I see how my mom is friday night. Silvers are bedding up and dropping eggs and flesh and the bows are there with them

Default Tease

Thanks Bows, bedding Silver's, Beads and Flesh! TEASE! Thanks now I have to find a hanky!

I have Hockey Week In Fairbanks, three practices with a Bantam Team as well as the Ice Dogs deal / Mil appreciation this weekend FWW Vs Eielson Commander Hockey Cup Challange.

Give those Bows my love man.

Someone please turn off the lights I am having a Poor Moose Pitty Party and wish no one to see me crying.

:-)

Maybe I book a Trip with Troutfitters. What is your advice, Canyon or middle River? The middle River is not easy for a hike in or difficult to fishing from the shore.

Roman
    Roman, if you're coming at the end of September, I'd definitely suggest the Middle Kenai. You'll catch more fish on the Upper and the scenery is better, but the Middle is where you'll have the better chance of finding a slab over 30". Look up Matt Duncan ~ I've seen a lot of pictures of him, clients and huge 'bows and he knows that stretch of river better than most. There's one such picture posted in another forum of a rainbow that measured 36" x 22". Anyhow, it's a pink year so the rainbows in the Middle will be even fatter. You should be able to swing flesh without an indicator when the pinks have died off and there's nothing like a rainbow pounding a flesh fly. If you have the time and funds, do both. The Canyon is a pretty good time and you'll also catch some dollies that should be turning to fall colors moreso on the Upper than the Middle.

I'd recommend hitting Deep Creek or the Ninilchik River for steelhead. It's a walk-in & wade fishery with the chance to catch decent steelies. The Anchor has more and larger fish but gets seriously congested. If you guys decide to do any of those three South Peninsula rivers, go on a weekday and get there early.