Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment ?

Default Equipment ?

alright guys im ordering a new bow next week and im kinda stuck on how i want to equip it so im wondering what you guys use things like arrows carbon or aluminum, flech or fob, what kind of rest, sights i want at least a 7 pin but i have never tried a single pin so im not sure how they work.
    thanks scotty
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-08-2010 at 21:32.

I like blasers and yes i tried fobs they just did not work for me. for rest rip cord or limbdive are great. for arrows carbon are are great. sight you real cant go wrong with a spot hogg my favorite but black gold or sure loc are great to.
    cheers

i like the rip cord rest can u shoot fobs with it.

I haven't tried fobs, I use a mix of qwik spins and bohing blazers. Tried a couple fusions and they are ok. Need to see how they all work with broadheads before I make up my mind. For sights, I tried the Sureloc but prefer the G5 Optix Xr, it has 3 fixed pins and one moveable pin. I have tried shooting out to 75 yards with it! Don't have it dialed in yet but still like it. Switched to carbon arrows, the penetration difference is huge compared to aluminum arrows. Try out as many different combos and see what works best for your bow!!

Steve

thats another thing i am wondering about is arrow and tip weight do you use lighter arrows for smaller animals i shot a small bull moose last year i shot him two time once with a muzzy 125gr. 3 blade and the other with a bear 125gr. 2 blade and there was no diffrence in penitration from about 10 yards with a pse nova @ 65lbs. aluminum arrows.

Do you not have any good shops in your area? If you do, the best thing you can do is go in and get your bow set up there, or at least talk to the folks and actually try out a lot of the options. There's a lot of good stuff out there, but there's really no "best" - just personal preference.

i didnt ask what was the best, i asked what other people are useing. trust me i have been doing my reserch before i spend $1500 on a bow i am just curios what other folks are useing now days i havent bought a bow or bow accesories in probly 10 years.

hmmm...

no rest
    no sights
    no stablizer
    no bow mount quiver
    wood arrows in a side quiver

Some call it cheap, some call it frugal...take your pick

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    i didnt ask what was the best, i asked what other people are useing. trust me i have been doing my reserch before i spend $1500 on a bow i am just curios what other folks are useing now days i havent bought a bow or bow accesories in probly 10 years.
    i shoot an older martin so the best is typically out of my reach.. i like my carbons usually shoot affordable ICS hunters through a rip cord rest and Fobs now that i have made the switch. my range is greatly extended with the fobs and accuracy has hugely improved. i use a single pin sit with near limitless adjustment, it does nearly require me to have a range finder in hand for longer shots though.. but inside of 40 yards i can Gage it off the pin itself.. just takes getting used to like all things. my release is the glove type that is secure to my hand while on, the wrist strap is comfortable and the palm grip is better then the release itself IMO>,

I almost always shoot out doors also, it has been over a year since i visited the range, as i practice with B heads like my muzzys and the mechanical are starting to get some more attention for range and accuracy on caribou. my bow shoots 315 fps at 60 lbs though it will run up to 70 there is little need of it and i hold a 4-6" group at 65 yards so far.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up huh?

Tradbow, I'm with you. All this talk sounds like a forein language to me. A bow and some arrows is what is needed. No sights or gadgets, just learn to shoot and hit what you are shooting at.

OK, OK, I'm just teasing the wheelie guys here, no offense meant. All I have is a stick and a string.

If you can get to Los Anchorage stop in at Back Country archery shop. He can set you up and get it right. If you have a shop there in Fairbanks that would be a good way to go. You can get your bow set up and an education too.

Good luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Tradbow, I'm with you. All this talk sounds like a forein language to me. A bow and some arrows is what is needed. No sights or gadgets, just learn to shoot and hit what you are shooting at.

OK, OK, I'm just teasing the wheelie guys here, no offense meant. All I have is a stick and a string.

If you can get to Los Anchorage stop in at Back Country archery shop. He can set you up and get it right. If you have a shop there in Fairbanks that would be a good way to go. You can get your bow set up and an education too.

Good luck
    hand me you stick and string and with in few moments i will be shooting along side you

when i am Required to bow hunt i carry what gives me the best advantage... i don't sneak up on stuff in case i get to shoot it. sometimes the difference between success and failure is the unwillingness to adapt to change.

funny thing is you rarly see compound shooters giving grief to the trad guys... but then again; many of them are to busy eating, to do so.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well Vince...we might have to make that happen! If I ever get some time to finish these bbo's!

I know how the gadgets go...man alive looking back I'm still amazed at what we'd buy, and that was 20 years ago, 2 prongs where just coming out, the new fad on the market. My rest fell apart so dang much I gave up on releases and goofy rests and went back to tab shooting. Then some brothers at the range got me hooked on recurves......

Mind you we tradfolks eat quite well too And the journy is a HOLE bunch sweeter :P

IMO my rest and release are most critical. I started with a Martin Bow in the Mid 90's I had a TM Hunter Rest that was nice but hard to tune and keep its tune. Also had a trophy hunter release with two ball bearings. Groups were ok with that set up. Got a Bowtec two years ago. Got a buddy/co-worker that shoots Hunter Class for competition. He's shoots at Vegas every year but last year due to an injury. He talked me into a Trophy Dropzone Rest. It's an awesome rest. Got a Scott Release that was fitted for me with my setup. What a difference it made on groups. Sights, I don't get particular on, to me as long as they are set to me, thats all I care about. D-loop and Peepsight are nice also. Shooting traditional is great if you have the time to practice everyday, but some of us don't have that luxury.

Thumbs up no offense

Vince, notice I was just teasing, really no offense intended, not to an archer! ,not even to you!!

I do get to shoot most every day, I have a course in my back yard with about a dozen targets, it's almost like hunting. Fun and good practice and it's kinda like meditation, a relaxation time. It's great!!

Scotty, for what it is worth, I really like carbon arrows, strong, consistant, good performers all the way around.

man I wish I had a range in my back yard shew....tried shooting the other day and jacked my ring finger up so bad I shot two arrows and put it down ugg!

Those two brothers have been life long friends. Older mn guys, great peps and great hunting buds, **** shame they live so dang far away! One has come up with his son chasing kings one year. The older bro was a crack shot....yet he hunts with wheels......always found that wierd. Man I have a great pic of them with a monster king....gotta love computers can never find what you need when you need it....or is that lack of organization skills haha!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Well Vince...we might have to make that happen! If I ever get some time to finish these bbo's!

I know how the gadgets go...man alive looking back I'm still amazed at what we'd buy, and that was 20 years ago, 2 prongs where just coming out, the new fad on the market. My rest fell apart so dang much I gave up on releases and goofy rests and went back to tab shooting. Then some brothers at the range got me hooked on recurves......

Mind you we tradfolks eat quite well too And the journy is a HOLE bunch sweeter :P
    well get to work and get them all done... I will have my range back up soon as the snow is gone and the lawn i planted after last fall dozer run... see i started out as an instinct shooter was the ol mans rules there. he used his long bow and would hit a swinging tennis ball on a string,

no offense taken tom... just a gentle reminder is all.. seems every time a new guys asks a question he has to wade through a bunch of Guys giving him grief for shooting wheels. when the end result is the same.

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Toxonics sight Light and BRIGHT
    Victory V-1 shafts Very consistent
    FOB's They speak for themselves.
    Vapor Trail Limbdriver Rest Ease of adjustment and set-up.
    Carter Quickie Release It's the only release I've ever needed
    3-way-split peep. But not too big an aperture!

Taylor

-[]------->

well im set on 2 things the bow a mathews z7, and the rest being the rip cord i like the rip cord because you can lock your arrow in the rest just incase you gotta crawl or get in heavy brush does anyone know if you can shoot fob's with the rip cord also its not that i dont like stick n string i just dont trust myself to eyeball a shot. do you guys find an arrow and head that work for you and use it for every species or change your arrow weight based on the animals size.

Carbon arrows,Spott hogg for sights,FOB's for sure,Fletch hunter release,Drop away rest
    Enjoy your new set up.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Your going to love your new Z7! I have one with a Mathews Drop Zone rest, Sword Centurian single pin sight and I just ordered 12 Camo Full Metal Jacket 300 arrows with 75 grain brass inserts, 125 grain tips, FOBS (going to try them out after all the hype on here!), and Easont Microlite supernocks. Gives me a 567.5 grain arrow that will knock the snot out of anything here in alaska. Dont think I would shoot small game with them though. I have some ICS hunters for that. I may also go with a lighter setup for longer range Caribou hunting as well, but we will see. I am going to be trying for a grizz again this year so that was the driving factor behind the FMJ's. Lots of good info on here so far, have fun and enjoy th Mathews!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast