Thread: Henry Lever gun scope mounting

Default Henry Lever gun scope mounting

Well I recieved my cantelievered scope mount today for my .17hmr Varmint express. I am wondering if anyone has ever taken off the rear sight and turned the scope mount around and used a scout scope? I have not price compared them to the leupold rimfire scope, but seems like it should work if mount can be done that way.

By doing so there would be no interference with the hammer them. Would look cool.

When mount is on the gun in the regular position it looks like it rises towards the rear. Would this affect the scope at all if is higher a smidge in the rear?

Never done it but I don't see why it won't work. The receiver is flat to the bore so the mount should also be and turning it won't change that. If yours is not flat I suspect an optical illusion or something about the mounting is off.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Never done it but I don't see why it won't work. The receiver is flat to the bore so the mount should also be and turning it won't change that. If yours is not flat I suspect an optical illusion or something about the mounting is off.

I had another set of eyes look at it, it appears to both of us it is slightly off, higher at the hammer end. The scope mount, mounts to the barrel. The receiver is flat and machined for 3/8 weaver style mounts, the cantaleiver is 7/8.

Also gonna check out pistol scopes before I decide. It does seem like it will work. Just gotta decide how much money I spend!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Did you try contacting Henry?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I see, I thought you were using the machined in rails. Still should work though. You should be able to measure from the receiver to the ring openings to see if it is canted or not. Any little bur in that mount surface would be greatly magnified by that cantilever setup.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I just looked at my Henry and the <HENRY ARMS CO.> roll stamp on mine has a sizable bur that looks like it would interfere with that mount. Also mine is not taped out on the barrel was yours?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Leever guns don't spose to wear scopes. It just aint right!

I just looked at my Henry and the <HENRY ARMS CO.> roll stamp on mine has a sizable bur that looks like it would interfere with that mount. Also mine is not taped out on the barrel was yours?
    I have not looked that close for burrs. My barrel is tapped for the little screws. I will order a set of each rings. If I don't like the cantaliever with standard rings, I will go with the 3/8 see through. Also want to check other brands for pistol scope prices. Not liking the $400 luepolds!
    I just held the scope mount there too, never screwed it on, so that might make a difference too.
    Thanks for the heads on the burrs.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I agree on how it looks but some of us are too blind to use open sights or for that matter see how ugly it is anymore.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I have not looked that close for burrs. My barrel is tapped for the little screws. I will order a set of each rings. If I don't like the cantaliever with standard rings, I will go with the 3/8 see through. Also want to check other brands for pistol scope prices. Not liking the $400 luepolds!
    I just held the scope mount there too, never screwed it on, so that might make a difference too.
    Thanks for the heads on the burrs.
    Don't need a top quility scope for a rimfire, even a cheap China made handgun scope will stand up to a 22. I would take a gander over at Cheaper Than Dirt if it was me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Don't need a top quility scope for a rimfire, even a cheap China made handgun scope will stand up to a 22. I would take a gander over at Cheaper Than Dirt if it was me.
    Ah man, now I probably won't place my cabela's order tonight. I was set to order the luepold rimfire 2-7! I like the fact it is light, and short. I guess no real hurry and will check out a few more. Nobody in town has the luepy, they all say next week! Then next week comes and nothing still. Thanks though for the insight and will take some more time.

I love Luepold but I just can't see dropping that much money on a rimfire unless I was rich enough to want matching optics on every gun or maybe competing in the Olympics with it. There are a lot of good optics in the $100 range that will do a fine job on a 22, even some in the $50 range. I would be looking in brands like Bushnell, BSA, or maybe this Simmons. I’m sure some have a different opinion on it but that’s the way I see it anyway. I would be the last to moc you for going high end if that's what you want, it's your gun after all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I know, but I bought the thing to have set up like my big bore rifle. So the scope would be nice.
    I love Luepold but I just can't see dropping that much money on a rimfire unless I was rich enough to want matching optics on every gun or maybe competing in the Olympics with it. There are a lot of good optics in the $100 range that will do a fine job on a 22, even some in the $50 range. I would be looking in brands like Bushnell, BSA, or maybe this Simmons. Iím sure some have a different opinion on it but thatís the way I see it anyway. I would be the last to moc you for going high end if that's what you want, it's your gun after all.
    I know what you are saying. I don't think the scout scope idea will work, or I don't want to waste the money trying. Like mentioned above originally wanted to set up like my hunting rifle. If I bought a lesser scope, I know I won't be happy and would eventually upgrade, so cheaper just to buy the luepold rimfire 2-7 from the start.

Now trying to decide to mount to the 3/8" rail on the gun or use the 7/8" cantelievered rail. A bit confused on the two options. The pics of the cant. mount show that is higher in the rear like I thought. But the golden boy shows the scope mounted to the reciever rail. But if one is cant. mount is higher in the rear it is not on the same plane then, right? So not sure if should mount to the reciever with see through mounts to still use iron sights plus allow for easier use of the hammer and such. Or just use the cant. rail with low mounts and forget about the iron sights? I thought about buying both sets of rings but not sure and might just waste money too! So I still have not ordered anything!

Don't intend to insult you because I do it too but that sounds like my wife shoe shopping, she loves them all so canít ever decide.

I think you need to first decide what direction you want to go with it then figure out how to get there. Anything is possible so that gets very distracting and you can find yourself with an end result that you donít like even though you liked all the choices you made along the way. If you want it like your hunting gun make that the plan and stick to it. If you want it scout scoped we can find a way to do that, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I am sure that cantilever mount can be made to work facing forward like you thought even if it is canted a little file time will fix that . . . if thatís what you want. Or you could buy a long 7/8 rail and modify the bottom to mount on the 3/8 rail extending forward, someone may even make one like that.

It all comes down to what your end goal is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona