Thread: Anybody ever run a 2003-2004 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 900?

Default Anybody ever run a 2003-2004 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 900?

Went to visit an old freind (fellow Mainah) today. He had a sled that no married man with children should be running. It was a 900 cc mountain cat with a 144 in. track. I jumped on it and it was just too much power for me. I've ran work machines all my life and have never needed one of these power monkey macines BUT.......it was slightly enthusing to whip it around through that fresh powder a bit. It hadn't been heavily modified which is always nice to see. He doesnt take it out much because it's not his kind of sled. It had 1,200 miles on it........he wanted to trade it to me for my second vehicle because he wanted a four wheel drive that was good on gas. The motor sounded very healthy, and it had a high perfomance exaust, vforce reeds, riser, air box upgrade, and a light weight seat. I nick named it the "widow maker". My ole widetrak LX might be jelous right now.......since I took a ride on the "wild cat" side. Anybody run one of these before??

That is the last of the old ZR chassis takeoffs. Here is a couple of links if wanting more info on that beast.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Went to visit an old freind (fellow Mainah) today. He had a sled that no married man with children should be running. It was a 900 cc mountain cat with a 144 in. track. I jumped on it and it was just too much power for me. I've ran work machines all my life and have never needed one of these power monkey macines BUT.......it was slightly enthusing to whip it around through that fresh powder a bit. It hadn't been heavily modified which is always nice to see. He doesnt take it out much because it's not his kind of sled. It had 1,200 miles on it........he wanted to trade it to me for my second vehicle because he wanted a four wheel drive that was good on gas. The motor sounded very healthy, and it had a high perfomance exaust, vforce reeds, riser, air box upgrade, and a light weight seat. I nick named it the "widow maker". My ole widetrak LX might be jelous right now.......since I took a ride on the "wild cat" side. Anybody run one of these before??

what a sissy!!!

not only did i run them... i mod'ed them out to get more power out of them then came the 1000 twin what fun.... What fun
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    what a sissy!!!

not only did i run them... i mod'ed them out to get more power out of them then came the 1000 twin what fun.... What fun
    don't "tempt" (pressure) me...........I may end up trading for this machine. any experience with this motor? It sounded healthy and solid.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    don't "tempt" (pressure) me...........I may end up trading for this machine. any experience with this motor? It sounded healthy and solid.

the important thing to remember is GOOD GAS AND GOOD oil...

cheap - O on either end and you will go through rings and pistons sooner then you like... remember the chain case lesson i gave you... more power = more expense on the parts for quality to keep them intact.. especially when landing. that 900 will allow you do do things you would not attempt on your work horse.. like jump of cornice's fall 200 foot and power out of the 8 foot deep hole you made on the landing

then there is the learning to read slopes that you have no business being on to begin with... you get a real good look at them as you lean over your handle bars more to keep your front end from flipping over your head on the way up....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They were a decent solid machine and will still get the job done. My brother had the 800 version and it was a good sled to him. The new M8's and M1000's will run circles around it. Still more power than most folks need, though.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They were a decent solid machine and will still get the job done. My brother had the 800 version and it was a good sled to him. The new M8's and M1000's will run circles around it. Still more power than most folks need, though.

too late.....decided against it. I'll just stick with work machines. It would have been alot of fun though. he found a young fella who wants to go raise hll on it. He and I were both looking for cash for what we are selling anyways.