Thread: Yamaha 300/350 V8

Default Yamaha 300/350 V8

I have a 24 North River Seahawk O/S with a Yamaha 225, but I'm looking down the road for ideas to repower. The 225 works ok, but I would like a little more horsepower. What do you guys know about these engines?
    Thanks

The old F300 is the same weight as the F350 weighing in at over 800lbs wet. The redesigned F300 weighs in at at estimated 558+/- pounds , but won't be available until August or so. Yamaha recommends the use of 89 octane in the F350 and the new F300. I hear good things about the suzuki 300. It is light weight and uses regular unleaded.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Dan will probably chime in, but he's had problems with the Suzuki 300's bottom ends due to the electronic shifting.

Just add a second 225

Are the Honda's any good?

Quote Originally Posted by akursus View Post
    Are the Honda's any good?
    Great motors, but the largest they sell is a 225. Plus you have to deal with AMDS if you want them serviced here in Anchorage. I have not had a prostate exam yet(still not 40 for a few more months), but I think that would be better than dealing with them.

Default 2010 Yamaha 4.2's

I heard just last week that the 2010 Yamaha 4.2 v-6's should be available for ordering by mid April w/ anticipated delivery w/in a couple weeks afterwards?

I'm waiting

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The old F300 is the same weight as the F350 weighing in at over 800lbs wet. The redesigned F300 weighs in at at estimated 558+/- pounds , but won't be available until August or so. Yamaha recommends the use of 89 octane in the F350 and the new F300. I hear good things about the suzuki 300. It is light weight and uses regular unleaded.

Great motors, but the largest they sell is a 225. Plus you have to deal with AMDS if you want them serviced here in Anchorage. I have not had a prostate exam yet(still not 40 for a few more months), but I think that would be better than dealing with them.
    Spoiled One has it about right with service. Prostate exam . Good one. I have to go to Ron's Honda or down to Homer to get service and advice I appreciate. Luckily Honda's are reliable and I haven't needed anything I couldn't wait on. Mainly only prop advice. I have boat some parts and such from AMDS and that's fine. I just never really walk away satisfied with the experience.

One other thing about Hondas. In my experience then tend to good on gas and reliable but lacking in power compared to the other motors. Both our Yamaha and Etecs have more power than the Hondas. I've also heard the same from several boat manufacturers that aren't set on any motor. Hondas are reliable and fuel effecient but tend to lack in power compared to other brands.

Oh come on, man! You are about as tough as they come. You survived the Glacer Craft experience, didnt you?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Oh come on, man! You are about as tough as they come. You survived the Glacer Craft experience, didnt you?
    Survived, but weathered, jaded, and wiser from the experience.

Interesting, I did not know they were that heavy. I live in south east, and have a great yamaha dealer. No honda dealer here. Also, I would like to stick with yamaha. Does the Yamaha 300 have that more power than the 225?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttu View Post
    Interesting, I did not know they were that heavy. I live in south east, and have a great yamaha dealer. No honda dealer here. Also, I would like to stick with yamaha. Does the Yamaha 300 have that more power than the 225?
    FWIW, the F225 is actually one of the weaker 225's out there. Reliable, but not a strong runner. There has been a lot of talk on "the hull truth" about this. It dynos at around 208 HP. The F200 is just under 200 hp. It is my understanding that they are allowed 10% +/- on their rating. I believe that the 1st generation F300 is a strong runner. It just weighs A L O T more than the other 300's. Why not just pickup another 225 or wait until the next generation yammies are available?

I think the honda 225 is pretty true to its horsepower rating, compared to the yamaha. I run one on a 26' hewes short cabin and it's a sweetheart.

If I were you, I'd take a real hard look at a 250 suzuki, owing to its displacement, gearing, and prop diameter advantages versus the honda and yamaha. They'll be playing ice hockey in hell before I have anything other than cable controls on an outboard motor in saltwater...

Interesting... thank you for your replies. I love my yamaha 225. It runs great, and I love yamaha outboards. Again, I fell it's a little under powered for my boat. I would go with a Suzuki, but the closest dealer is a barge away. I like the comfort of a good dealer to work on any problems. Hopefully, the 300 will get a little lighter? How many hours do you guys average on an outboard (before it goes out)?
    Thanks

The new F300 is around 558 pounds and has a displacement of 4.2 liters which will be the biggest in the class. It is toted to be 17% better in economy than the suzuki. Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you the brochure for the new yamahas if you are interested.

Default thread drift

And AMDS is selling Yamaha now as well

For Anchorage Honda owners the folks at JKS are happy and able to go through the lower ends and do minor top end tweaks as well. Did both mine last fall and was very nice to have the boat back the next day. Great people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    And AMDS is selling Yamaha now as well

For Anchorage Honda owners the folks at JKS are happy and able to go through the lower ends and do minor top end tweaks as well. Did both mine last fall and was very nice to have the boat back the next day. Great people.
    They are selling them as "package", AMDS is now a Yamaha outboard package dealer. Boat manufacturers they deal with put Yamaha motors on boat "packages". So they cannot sell loose motors, but can order boats with Yamaha motors from the factory for those who want them.

Another thumbs up for JKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidless View Post
    I heard just last week that the 2010 Yamaha 4.2 v-6's should be available for ordering by mid April w/ anticipated delivery w/in a couple weeks afterwards?

I'm waiting
    Reviving this thread. Looking at building a 28' to 30' Bay Weld either 9'6" or 10'6" and looking at power options. Buddy of mine has a 27' X 9" 6" GC with the new Yamaha twin 200's and is getting 2 mpg at 30 mph. Bay Weld also posted some #'s on their FB page of a 28' X 9'6" boat they delivered this summer that was also getting 2 mpg at 30 mph. Curious if any of you GC guys or other aluminum boats of similar size and weight are running the new 300's (4.2L) in a twin set-up and what kind of fuel consumption your getting at what speed/rpms. I'm leaning towards building the boat for comfort not gas mileage, but don't want to be under powered either.

Here in Juneau there are a number of boats with the newer Yamaha F300 V6 Offshore. Including one Armstrong Catamaran tour boat with four of them!

The local Honda Shop is still sold on the Honda BF225 over the BF250 because it is definately a proven motor (multiple cases of 2,000-8,500 hrs on engines that are still going).

There are only a few of the 300/350 V8s here.

Sobie2