Thread: stainless steel vs. Cerakote

Default stainless steel vs. Cerakote

Just curious to hear from those who have used both, does stainless steel or Cerakote provide better corrosion resistance? Thanks.

I've had my Cerakote rifle for a couple of years and it looks new...no corrosion issues to date. I hunted pretty hard with it in the mountains and on a really wet raft trip so its not been babied... next fall I'm taking to PWS for a week long bear/deer trip so I'll see how it holds up to saltwater but I don't expect any issues.

Don't know how it compares to plain stainless steel as there are various grades all with different corrosion characteristics.

I'm not all that impressed with its chip resistance though as I've got several good sized nicks in mine already.

Stainless will rust when splashed with saltwater, in spite of what folks away from the ocean think. It will be interesting to see how your rifle does Hodgeman, but watch those chips, and especially the bore.

A little rust on stainless doesn't bother me however, because you can give it a quick buff with 4/0 stainless steel wool and it's back to original more or less. Just don't use regular steel wool, because that imbeds little particles of plain steel into the stainless, and your rust problems are starting, rather than over.

I know of a product that can can be wiped on SS surfaces and will bond semi-permantely (may need a recoat every 2 or 3 years or so). It seals the steel and prevents oxidation and corrosion. Good for the bore, action, rails, etc., as well. There is another follow on product that is supposed to be more permanent and being tested. Stay tuned

Stainless won't chip or wear off but as its name states it stains less than regular carbon steel but will stain or rust

Stainless is not paint, therfore it will not chip, flake, or scrape off. If stainless gets rusty simply steel wool off or re-beadblast, if you get rust under a Spray-A-Finish you most likely ruin whats left of the finish removing rust. For the ultimate in corrosion resistance Get a SS rifle Nitrided, no rust, no worries, EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Stainless won't chip or wear off but as its name states it stains less than regular carbon steel but will stain or rust
    Right. They need to invent "stainproof" steel.

Just a suggestion. Parkerizing worked on all the WWII military rifles just fine and they endured some pretty awful conditions. But, it does cost something to have the gun parkerized, however, cheaper than the other options. Buying new, I'd go with stainless. Then if you don't like it's look, duracoat it or paint it.

Default Check out

www.blackicecoatings.com. I have sent 4 guns so far. I'm sending all of my guns one at a time. I can't say enough about this product. I live in Palmer and if anyone wants to see one I will be more than glad to show you. Very reasonably priced and excellent product. Check out his website, and by all means call Lee. He is a great guy and will answer all of your questions. PM me if you want to see some of his work...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573