Thread: Kids cold weather gear

Question Kids cold weather gear

So its fairly easy shoppin for an adult when it comes to cold weather gear, but its not so easy for kids stuff, especially considering they grow so darn fast!

We'll be moving up next summer, and the kids are fairly young (at that time, 7 and almost 4)

They seem to have good "self heaters" They're always toasty warm But when it comes to good gear, for such things as playin in the snow, frigid temps, atc, what would yall recommend? Clothing wise and especially boots

Thanks

When my kids were young, we bought all our winter clothes and boots from the Army and Navy Store on 4th Ave. They sell their own brand called Active 8. Its kid tough. Knees, elbows and butts are reinforced. Most kids will out grow their stuff before they destroy it. At least my kids did. Great prices. Boots by Ranger for kids also good prices.

Agree on the Activ8 gear from Army/Navy, quality kid gear.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Campmor has a great range of kids winter gear. And they often have great sales at winter's end, winter's end on the East Coast that is.

Pick up a case of the chemical handwarmers from Costco and stuff one in each of the gloves or mittens. There aren't alot of good choices for childrens gloves/mittens that really keep their hands warm in the cold, so adding some heat does wonders.

One issue I've had with Activ8 is the quality of the zippers... mine boy has busted 3 on the coat. So far Big Ray's has stood behind it and replaced it without question. Otherwise good gear.

Depending on where you are, Anchorage has a number of kids resale shops where you can buy or sell clothing. I picked up some almost new snowsuits last fall at good prices compared to the cost of the new ones.

Thank Yall, for the good info!!! I can see we're gonna end up outfittin the kids with thier gear once we get up there, as they're growin so sporadically (and way too fast ) for us to really have an idea the sizes they'd be come winter 2011.

Much appreciate the info!

Hope you have a great transition to Alaska from the Lower 48.