Thread: Fishing in Ketchikan - when?

Default Fishing in Ketchikan - when?

I'm headed to Ketchikan this summer for a week with three buddies. I'll be staying at a friends cottage near the waterfront. We have our choice of when to be there. We will be focusing on salmon and halibut (sorta obvious) so I'm debating on which week to go.

It appears that mid June is peak for Chinook, while late August to mid September is best for coho. Halibut appear to be available all summer. Any suggestions on when to go? We are not fussy about catching either coho or Chinook, but I'd rather not fill my fish box with pink salmon.

In other words, if you only had one week (7 days) to fish in Ketchikan, which week would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    I'm headed to Ketchikan this summer for a week with three buddies. I'll be staying at a friends cottage near the waterfront. We have our choice of when to be there. We will be focusing on salmon and halibut (sorta obvious) so I'm debating on which week to go.

It appears that mid June is peak for Chinook, while late August to mid September is best for coho. Halibut appear to be available all summer. Any suggestions on when to go? We are not fussy about catching either coho or Chinook, but I'd rather not fill my fish box with pink salmon.

In other words, if you only had one week (7 days) to fish in Ketchikan, which week would you choose?
    Those coho are fickle, they don't know when to return sometimes but I'd go somewhere 2nd or 3rd week of August.

Last full week in August if you want to play the percentages.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...ort/Area_key/6

2 rod-hours per coho (5-yr average for that week - as good as it gets in KTN

4 rod-hrs per butt - also as good as it gets.

You don't want to get "humped" a lot?

I have to agree on August... don't know if I would wait until the very end. In KTN the salmon return is VERY dependent on the amount of rainfall. If it is a wet spring they will return earlier... but playing the numbers mid to late August is a great time.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Aquatic Edge Expeditions
    Alaska Charter Fishing
    http://www.aquatic-edge.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help! Based on your input, I'm thinking that Sunday, August 22 to Sunday August 29 would be just about right.

The tides are great that week too. Low tides in the morning (~7:00am) with high tide in the early afternoon. Target coho all morning and switch to halibut around noon. Pick up the crab traps on the way in, and we'll be in great shape!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help! Based on your input, I'm thinking that Sunday, August 22 to Sunday August 29 would be just about right.

The tides are great that week too. Low tides in the morning (~7:00am) with high tide in the early afternoon. Target coho all morning and switch to halibut around noon. Pick up the crab traps on the way in, and we'll be in great shape!

Thanks again.
    You'll automatically loose 2 days of fishing with that schedule, our coho go to church on Sundays.

Wink

The two Sundays will be travel days. Maybe we'll pray for good weather...... Rain is okay, but windy conditions will put us down.

BTW - Will coho be available in Ward Creek/Inlet in late August if we choose to do some bank fishing? (single hook, no bait......).

The two Sundays will be travel days. Maybe we'll pray for good weather...... Rain is okay, but windy conditions will put us down.

BTW - Will coho be available in Ward Creek/Inlet in late August if we choose to do some bank fishing? (single hook, no bait......).
    I believe you can catch them in the inlet however you want at saltwater. If you are talking inlet of the lake it would be single hook, no bait.

I've caught coho in the lake in August so I would think you shouldn't have any problem---depending on how the run is going.