Thread: Why is it...

Question Why is it...

(since I don't see a general discussion area, this is goin here )

that when you finally say, 'Yup! I'm gonna do it! Moving to Alaska!' the first reaction of everyone is to chide, mock, and put it down?

I've encountered this a bit lately. It doesn't bother me. We'll be living out our dream, thats what matters. I just wonder why people do that? Seems strange..*shrug*

Anyone else get that?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    (since I don't see a general discussion area, this is goin here )

that when you finally say, 'Yup! I'm gonna do it! Moving to Alaska!' the first reaction of everyone is to chide, mock, and put it down?

I've encountered this a bit lately. It doesn't bother me. We'll be living out our dream, thats what matters. I just wonder why people do that? Seems strange..*shrug*

Anyone else get that?
    I think most people are jealous but have to put it down because they don't really want to take that life changing chance/or challenge.

Because most people don't have the first clue what Alaska is actually like. Most base their perceptions on pictures of huge glaciers. While beautiful, if Alaska really was just a frozen wasteland, I wouldn't want to be here either. Be glad that most folks think it is ridiculous. It keeps population growth in check.

It Takes guts to live your dream, it is hard. People don't want others to have their dream, because it compels them to accept what a lazy, compromising, sell-outs they are. This is why most people find it easier to tear others down rather than build them self up............I figure Hell your going to die anyway, might as well live wide'arse open....

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing".

My friends would do the same thing if I said I was moving to Georgia. For many, where they live is home and they like it there. Often they can't understand why anyone would want to leave.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

can you tell me about living in alaska or know someone who does

Default Disconnect between L-48 and here...is real

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Because most people don't have the first clue what Alaska is actually like. Most base their perceptions on pictures of huge glaciers. While beautiful, if Alaska really was just a frozen wasteland, I wouldn't want to be here either. Be glad that most folks think it is ridiculous. It keeps population growth in check.
    My son graduated a couple years ago in Florida. My family stopped into a sporting goods store, a Nike store there soon after arriving. I presented a Visa card and my driver's license at the cashier. I don't recall what we bought, but I recall what the cashier said as she rang us up, "do you all have zip codes up there?"

So many things went through my head - all those maps in grade school, news stories about Alaska... yep - they even got their own quarter too!
    But all I could say was "um, yes - 99577"

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    My son graduated a couple years ago in Florida. My family stopped into a sporting goods store, a Nike store there soon after arriving. I presented a Visa card and my driver's license at the cashier. I don't recall what we bought, but I recall what the cashier said as she rang us up, "do you all have zip codes up there?"

So many things went through my head - all those maps in grade school, news stories about Alaska... yep - they even got their own quarter too!
    But all I could say was "um, yes - 99577"
    Thats too funny!!!

Sounds a bit like when we moved out to GA from TX. My Mom thought all Georgians lived in trailers and used outhouses Lawd it was embarassin the first time she met the inlaws

We're still shootin for our dream of moving to Alaska next spring though!! Aint told but a couple folks, no sense givin em a whole year to give us grief.

I havent experienced anyone putting it down, they make stupid generalizations like; its always cold there, why?, and other dumb***** remarks. It is usually met more by shock, we have been talking about doing it for about 3 years now and no one really belived us. Then recently we put our house up for sale and got rid of half of our crap and now they are just amazed that we would actually do it.

i get the remark about the weather a lot of times when talking to people ..also i get some odd comments about when shipping items up there when i had things shipped up there to the apt ..for i have thought that alaska is part of the United States and the shipping of the items from the states should be a same rate as the lower 48 it still part of the United States

I don't know the answer but I hope it continues. I grew up in some of the least populated country in Georgia. I hope most of those guys stay exactly where they are

Where are you moving and what will you be doing?

Your expenditures will increase up here considerably.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I don't know the answer but I hope it continues. I grew up in some of the least populated country in Georgia. I hope most of those guys stay exactly where they are

Where are you moving and what will you be doing?

Your expenditures will increase up here considerably.
    Yup, roger on the increased expenses! Its completely worth it though, to live the dream!!!

Not sure exactly WHERE yet..or what we'll be doin exactly *shrug* The timeline for when we want to move (spring 2011 at earliest) will put me being able to go back to work that fall when our youngest starts Pre-K. Hubs doin some kinda heavy mechanical or welding and me doing something from LEO/Corrections/Security to a receptionist job...I'm pretty flexible for what to do for work, so that helps some. We'll be a bit more nailed down on a spot hopefully by mid-end of this summer so Hubs can start applyin for jobs.

If you get a chance, fly up and rent a car for a few days. Physically stand in a place and choose to live there instead of getting a job and settling for a place.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

part of the reason i movdc up here was for my heath i do better in cold weather plus my part the family do care about is up here ..i like place and i like the people and i going to stay for a while ..

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My friends would do the same thing if I said I was moving to Georgia. For many, where they live is home and they like it there. Often they can't understand why anyone would want to leave.
    Thats a good point, and usually true!

Hubs and I were talkin bout that when we started discussing this move. His younger brother always talked about getting out of GA and never comin back, yada yada. But he's the one puttin roots here with a family of his own now. Na and I have always talked about movin somewhere, usually ended up bein Montana or somewheres out midwest.

We've both got that "Cowboy Wanderer" thing goin, always have. Though I was completely shocked when I mentioned Alaska and he agreed to it.

The personal growth we've been through in the last 2 years got us off our "duff" and on the way to actually living life instead of bein stagnant and stuck in the usual riff raff of "suburbia" life. It will be a great "adventure" for the 4 of us, as a family, and let us give the kids much more then we'd ever thought about, and I aint talkin monetarily.

Snowy,

Hi! I grew up in the good ole south myself. As a kid I often enjoyed Eskimo Ice Cream Pies and Klondike bars on those blistering hot summer days. As you can probably imagine, this ice cream has nothing to do with Alaska but rather lower 48 entrepreneurs and suave marketeers. So having said that, do not plan a tour of a non-existant ice cream factory once ya get up here!

For authentic native ice cream, you may follow this link:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...moIceCream.htm

(But I must warn ya ahead of time: View it on an empty stomach if you are squeamish.)

Neat, isn't it? A bit of culture shock?
    --

Oh, and if you are the Southern type to sit on the front porch at night, enjoying crickets chirp, then you might get used to not hearing them up here because there are none! As we say down in the south, "now that may take some getting used to."

Have you heard of North Pole, Alaska? No, not the physical, magnetic pole but the town just outside of Fairbanks? There is a REAL Santa Claus, Ms. Claus, and reindeer there too. Google "Santa Claus house". Once you get to this state you may visit it one day, take pictures and have "bragging rights" for your friends back down south!

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Have you heard of North Pole, Alaska? No, not the physical, magnetic pole but the town just outside of Fairbanks? There is a REAL Santa Claus, Ms. Claus, and reindeer there too. Google "Santa Claus house". Once you get to this state you may visit it one day, take pictures and have "bragging rights" for your friends back down south!
    Its funny you mention that...

I can remember trips to AK as a kid. They always sticks in my mind, and have been popping up very frequently in the last few years! We visited there, I can remember seeing reindeer. Its vague, but a great memory nonetheless!!!

Hi Becky, welcome to the forum.

Living in alsaka is like living in a nightmare sometime's when you are fighting the elemant's, and sometime's it's like living in a dream when all the splendor around come's into play, and everything goes right for once.

There are few road's up here, and sometime's few and far between help if you break down on one of them. The only really FREEWAY we have up here, is about, what guy's, 20 mile's long, lol. There are 2 lane's each way going in and out of some of the bigger city's, but if you want to get to other part's of the state it's all 2-lane highway's.

People like living here because of there own vise's, sking,trapping,hunting,fishing,photographing, or just like to hike out in the wood's by yourself and skip a stone over a creek.

However there are danger's everyday of the year here, weather it is just for a short hike, to a boat ride that went bad, or such as a snowmachine mishap.

If you really want to learn about Alaska, take time to read some of the misfortune's that has happened to people on this forum, and keep asking question's.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    'Yup! I'm gonna do it! Moving to Alaska!' the first reaction of everyone is to chide, mock, and put it down?

Before some smart azz chimes in, my home is in NC. However, I have spoke at great length to family and friends about moving to Alaska. An ongoing aspiration of mine that I just can't seem to shake no matter how well I rationalize things. I find two main reason for folks giving you grief when mentioning a move to Alaska. Namely, they will miss you and making fun of your plan is the easiest way to show these emotions. Secondly, it makes folks feel like they are missing the boat so to speak. You are leaving the podunk town they will die in and heading to the great land. They are envious and it is easier to make fun of you than admit out loud that they wish they had the balls to do the same thing. To my way of thinking, if you told them you were moving to Canada or Mexico you would be getting the same grief. I think Alaska itself has little to do with it. Good luck with your move and don't let small minded people come between you and your dreams. You are the only person that will lose sleep if you do.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.