Thread: Season Launch Pass-Whittier

Smile Season Launch Pass-Whittier

It is real close to boating season the launch passes are available at the harbor for $120.00 until April 1st then because of our $.05 tax from April til October, it will cost $126.00. If you call the office with a Visa or Mastercard they will gladly mail you one. 907 472 2327 ext. 6.

Default Thanks

ahh, the yearly custom of getting the season launch pass.......spring must be coming!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reminder.

As a newby to Whittier I hope to be able to leave my boat in Whittier alot of the time. Is there a good boat storage there? How does it work? Is the season launch pass the best way to go? Can you get a tunnel pass?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhewey View Post
    As a newby to Whittier I hope to be able to leave my boat in Whittier alot of the time. Is there a good boat storage there? How does it work? Is the season launch pass the best way to go? Can you get a tunnel pass?
    Thanks.
    You can keep your boat in the big parking lot across the tracks once the snow clears. I believe it is $450 or so for the season. The season launch pass is a great deal if you consider the cost per launch. (I believe it was $20 last year) You can purchase books of the tunnel passes that cut the cost down a bit. Come on spring!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Is there any kind of deal for parking? I don't plan on leaving my boat there but wondered about a mutli day thing like with the tunnel. Between the $10 a day parking, $20 launch, and what was it...$15 tunnel, I just feel like I'm getting nickled and dimed to death. For some reason its easier to just take the pain once and get it over with. Go figure

Speaking of parking at the lot, are there any length limitations to the slot?

I want to leave my '96 Suburban attached to the trailer/boat all season long, I figure if I want to go to Ninilchik, Seward, or Homer since its on the way I can drive down to Whittier and grab it and go back out the tunnel and then bring her back through when I'm done.

The Suburban gets only 8 MPG when towing something, the gas savings alone will come close to paying for the parking slot, never mind the additional cost for the tunnel when towing a big boat.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

There are spots that will accommodate your setup. If you leave to head to another port, you spot can be taken by others, though.

On the other hand I'd have to buy cr@ppy gas from the fuel dock at inflated prices....

Has anybody crunched the numbers to see how it works out?

Hmm, car gets 28 MPG
    Burb gets 8
    60 miles from house to Whittier
    Boat has 110 gallon main tank, and will have two x 23 gallon saddle tanks
    Tunnel fee $30 (?)
    Fuel cost at Girdwood $X.XX (where I'd tank up)
    Fuel cost at Fuel dock $X.XX

Did a forum search but couldnt find any direct comparisons
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default not positive

...but I think that the fuel was about 60 cents more (per gallon) at whittier last summer than in anchorage....

Default tunnel passes

what is the cost for a book of tunnel passes??? Guess I should check on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Is there any kind of deal for parking? I don't plan on leaving my boat there but wondered about a mutli day thing like with the tunnel. Between the $10 a day parking, $20 launch, and what was it...$15 tunnel, I just feel like I'm getting nickled and dimed to death. For some reason its easier to just take the pain once and get it over with. Go figure
    The parking price drops a couple bucks per day for multi day trips.

Nickled and dimed, yeah between fuel in the truck to tow the boat down, tunnel fee, launch fee and parking I figure I'm out $100 before I've run a drop of fuel through the boat. With a trailer the tunnel is $20.

But, for multi day trips Whittier is the best spot to launch out of.

I refuse to go to whittier for just one day unless someone is helping me with the cost. We figured it out that it cost about $450 for fuel, tunnel, launch and parking. That doesn't include bait, food or anything else. I wont leave dock unless topped off so the fuel cost is figuered that I would have to fill all 80 gal but doesn't include when I go way out and bring another 30 gal. We go minumum of three days to make it worth the money. Since you have the tunnel fee's and steep launch fees and parking fees I figure I can go to Valdez for the same price even with the longer distance to drive. Valdez-$50 season launch pass and no marathon walk.

Charterboat Operator

DANG; i wanted to complain about the $50 beach launch fee at Anchor, but looking at what tunnel, parking,launch is at Whittier, guess i should be quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    DANG; i wanted to complain about the $50 beach launch fee at Anchor, but looking at what tunnel, parking,launch is at Whittier, guess i should be quiet!
    Yea, and you are boating your first fish after leaving the launch in under an hour. So, you burn 30 or so gallons on a charter? Better start complaining. Talked with the captain of the "Eye of the Storm" out of Whittier at the fuel dock one afternoon as he was fueling up after a day at the office. He burned 289 gallons that day! Triple 300 suzukis, baby!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Yea, and you are boating your first fish after leaving the launch in under an hour. So, you burn 30 or so gallons on a charter? Better start complaining. Talked with the captain of the "Eye of the Storm" out of Whittier at the fuel dock one afternoon as he was fueling up after a day at the office. He burned 289 gallons that day! Triple 300 suzukis, baby!
    THAT I UNDERSTAND, my rig cruises along pretty good, November I was comming back from Naked and picked him up at the tip of Cullross island, I'm crusing at about 30kts, he went by me so fast i thought i was in a row boat! Having a little speed envy, i hit WOT and about 42 kts- I was NOT gaining ground! $$ signs made me humbly pull the throttles back to 22GPH instead of 42, i think he was mostly unloaded by the time we got to the harbor.
    typical "charter" day is about 50 gallons or so, so i guess the launch is a great deal, not to mention the time savings.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    THAT I UNDERSTAND, my rig cruises along pretty good, November I was comming back from Naked and picked him up at the tip of Cullross island, I'm crusing at about 30kts, he went by me so fast i thought i was in a row boat! Having a little speed envy, i hit WOT and about 42 kts- I was NOT gaining ground! $$ signs made me humbly pull the throttles back to 22GPH instead of 42, i think he was mostly unloaded by the time we got to the harbor.
    typical "charter" day is about 50 gallons or so, so i guess the launch is a great deal, not to mention the time savings.
    I hear you. Before he added the third motor, it would still scoot along when it was loaded light, but he had a tough time getting planed with a load of people. It performs much better now. One of a kind boat for sure. Pretty impressive for a 20000+ pound rig.

That sound you heard as he screamed by you was the frequent flier miles racking up on his AK airlines card!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I refuse to go to whittier for just one day unless someone is helping me with the cost. We figured it out that it cost about $450 for fuel, tunnel, launch and parking. That doesn't include bait, food or anything else. I wont leave dock unless topped off so the fuel cost is figuered that I would have to fill all 80 gal but doesn't include when I go way out and bring another 30 gal. We go minumum of three days to make it worth the money. Since you have the tunnel fee's and steep launch fees and parking fees I figure I can go to Valdez for the same price even with the longer distance to drive. Valdez-$50 season launch pass and no marathon walk.
    I don't so much mind the costs at Whittier, it's the stress and time invovled with the danged tunnel. When you figure the time it takes to wait for and go through the tunnel, then wait in launch, drive over the parking lot, walk back, you could have driven down to Seward and would be heading out sooner, and into fish closer in. Seems like cost wise the extra diesel I burn driving the Seward balances out the extra costs to Whittier, and I burn less fuel running out of Seward.

Default Tunnel $ Launch easy math

$20 drive up
    $17 each @ book of 10
    $15 each @ book of 30
    Book tickets good forever, they are not required to be in book, now what I do is buy a book of 30 and sell 20 too whom ever, but I'm cheap!

Launch pass @ $126 / $20 = 6.25 times it pays for it's self.

Default parking?

What's it cost to park?

If you have some of the tunnel passes still that you don't want PM me.