Thread: advice for fishing with kids?

Default advice for fishing with kids?

Hi everybody. My family and I moved here with the AF in mid-December. I've gotten a lot of great information off of this forum. Thanks to all who contribute. I have a 7 and 9 y.o. and really want to get them into the outdoors and fishing, but the regulations here remind me of when I was stationed in Idaho- a little confusing. We live in Eagle River. I don't care as much about the species of fish we catch when we are fishing together, just looking for some helpful advice about places relatively close by where they can enjoy catching fish (non-combat fishing). If anyone has any advice, books suggestions, even names fishing guides that I could hire for a day that work some local lakes/rivers where I could take my kids back to fish . I know I'm asking for a lot of info. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Eric

Do you have a boat? A canoe or inflatable raft will be fine. You can fish for rainbows in lower Fire Lake or Beach Lake in Eagle River. I've tried fishing both lakes from the shore, and have never done well. But out in a boat we usually catch fish. I find 1/4 oz spoons and castmasters work quite well.

The one thing I've learned fishing with kids, don't try and do any fishing yourself. You'll be kept busy enough untangling lines and keeping them baited.

The nice thing about those lakes is even when the fishing isn't good, you can go for a hike on the far side of Beach lake, or explore the small island on fire lake.

Any of the lakes in the Anchorage bowl have stocked trout. Use a single egg on a hook and they will catch fish.

For salmon, it's hard to get away from the crowds anywhere near the road system but if you take them on a stream where it is mainly pinks running, it tends to be less crowded, although I have heard Hope gets crowded too.

My advice though, Alaska is way too cool of a place to limiting yourself to "close to Anchorage". Get out there, explore, you won't regret it.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Thanks for the advice guys. A canoe is on my list as soon as I sell my HD. When I say "close by", I mean within a couple of hours of Eagle River. Once again, great forum and thanks for the advice.

Eric

If you find yourself at a saltwater harbor this summer with your family, your kids would probably enjoy jigging off the docks.

I do it with my kids all the time, and I like it for several reasons: it's dead-simple (no real logistical concerns; plus dropping bait to the bottom and waiting for a bite is something even a 4-year-old can handle); it's safe (life vest, plus the wooden railing on the harbor floats); there's room to roam if the kids get antsy after awhile; and finally, fish are abundant and the kids get a lot of action.

I rig with no more than a sinker and small baited hook. But the first thing I do is chum the water with finely chopped herring. It takes about 10 minutes for a hoard of sculpins, flounders, and sole to home in on the scent. After that, it's one fish after another.

Have fun.

Here is an old thread from last year that might help.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=55921

Are you stricly looking for summer time fishing?
    I usually go out to the valley. I take kids to several creeks out there after they open up on june 15. I use salmon eggs and just have the kids cane pole fish from the bank. Quite often you can see all the little trout swim up and try to eat the bait.

I'll put Eklutna tailrace out there.(couple miles down the old glen hwy..going to Palmer) I know you said non combat Goose, but I think Eklutna can be done with kids (I know there are tons of them there!). Seems pretty much family friendly as far as road accessed King fisheries go. Also I think (never done it) that it must be loaded with Trout in the spring, plus it will thaw out super early.
    I like Beech lake (S birchwood exit). The canoe WOULD be better, but since I don't have one I fish the shore around to the left from the parking area. If you don't get trout on a bobber, try going to the bottom like you would for catfish. (lots of gut hooks that way though). It's also good for kids b/c of a short walk, and easy access back to the car.
    Think hard about going to HOPE this year when the pink salmon are in. Great camping and fishing. (hope is on the way to seward. about 2 hours from anchorage).

Thanks AKbrownsfan and big_dog60. With my son being 7 and daughter 9, I think they will do okay fishing with a few people around. I'm ready to get out and fish a little myself, so with you mentioning the Eklutna tailrace thawing early, I will definitely give it a try. From what I read on here about the pinks, that will be on my list for us to do. If I get some time off soon, I might try to venture out and figure out a little ice fishing on Elmendorf for me and my son. Thanks everyone-much appreciated.

Eric

Default I've got a small spot for you to visit close by, for your kids

You're a new member (Welcome!) so I can't PM you with the details, so I hit your add-reputation button and told you directions. Get those kids fish on!

It's a pink year.

Success.... and lots of it is virtually guaranteed.

If you can drive there, expect lots of company. Combat conditons subside if you can take a day off during the weekdays and spend it with the kiddos.

That's a no-brainer.... spend time at work at a job that will NEVER love you back, or spend time with the little ones that will love you unconditionally!

Take some outfits capable of 8# test, some snap swivels, and a handful of spinners (Vibrax, Mepps, FlashGlo's) or some small spoons (pixees, DareDevil knockoffs), rig 'em with single barbless siwash hooks. Cast slightly down and across and let the lure swing crosscurrent back to your side of the bank under just enough tension to keep the lure working (little or no retrieve, depending on current). Reel faster anytime you don't feel the lure working, if it pulls back.... set the hook! Once it swings directly below you, lift it to the surface reel it back in fast, and repeat.

C&R til their little arms ache. Save the bonking stick for that occasional supercharged silver that will leave your little ones squealing with glee!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

three things: Humpies, Stocked Rainbows, and let them explore creeks and stuff on their own. When I was 9 I had the local creek dialed in.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Before you head out get them fitted with fishing glasses. It will help them see the fish but MORE IMPORTANTLY it will protect their eyes both from themselves and more likely that other idiot in the bank. For good fun fishing with kids look over the regs carefully and go trout or dolly fishing in creeks or areas of creeks that are closed to salmon fishing. There are a few areas where only "jacks" are legal, I spent many days virtually alone tossing back everything over 16" long and still got to take home plenty to make a good dinner.
    Head north for really fun camping/fishing in the tangle lakes area, I plan on taking my kiddos up there this year for a weekend. Lots of places to go, pick up a copy of the roadside angler and plan your next adventure!

There are plenty of stocked lakes on post. You're kids will have a ball fishing in one of the lakes on Elmandorf or in Cluney on Ft. Rich. I have never had a bad day fishing on post. Drop me a PM after our brigade gets back from AFG (I am sure you'll here about it when it happens), and I'd be happy to show you some spots. I'm out there every other day after work in the spring/summer, as long as I'm not out chasing salmon. All you need is some small spoons, or just a hook, a salmon egg, and a float. No boat necessary. It might be wise to outfit your young'uns with some rubber boots though.

Thanks everyone. FishNphysician, you are right. Especially after being deployed for 9 months last year, it's more important to be with my family than anything. I usually get a post-call day during the week once or twice a month to spend with the kids. I'll be selling my motorcycle this spring to fund more family oriented fun.
    Great advice about the glasses LuJon. I have to get out to Anchorage today and will look for a copy of The Roadside Angler. sthrcave, thanks man, I will definitely be working the lakes on base. I work in the hospital, so very aware of when you guys return. Would love to fish with you sometime. Keep your head down and get home safely. Familyman, thanks for the advice/directions.

Eric

If you don't have rods for them yet, Costco always has some shimano light spinning outfits in the summer for ~$50. Spool them with 10# mono and they'll work for everything from stocked rainbows to salmon in slower moving water. My kids have taken pinks while our boat was anchored in a lagoon and it's an absolute blast, well unless they manage to wrap around the anchor line and break off.

They get pretty excited when they catch fish.

Local Lakes in Anchorage and Valley. Kepler Bradley is a great place to take kids fishing. During the silver season pick a Parks Hwy stream. If you are looking for a guide service who is willing to work with your kids and show you how to fish Alaska fisheries I recommend Scott Sager with Drifting on the Fly. His website is driftingonthefly.com. He has taken me and my kids out. Has helped my 8 year old fly fish. I have a trip already booked in August to float the canyon on the Kenai with my 3 kids this year. Very excited, cannot wait.

Thanks Kaveman for recommending Scott at Drifting on the Fly. I shot him an email yesterday and he is very open to taking kids. I'll be calling him this week to discuss some plans. Lujon, I picked up a copy of The Roadside Angler. Looks like a great resource. Thanks again for all of the advice. Now I just need to sell the motorcycle to get the canoe.

Eric

I have a two year old that I take fishing all the time (even ice fishing in the frigid weather). I best advice I can give is: bring drinks, snacks and toys. Just in case fishing is slow, you don't want them to get bored. Have as much fun as possible, even when fishing isn't the best.

Default Hope

Take your kids down to Hope to fish the Resurrection River when the Humpies are running. My kids were basically hooking one almost every cast using light tackle.