Thread: Tell me about Cordova in early summer!

Default Tell me about Cordova in early summer!

goin to try to fit a 3-4 day trip over to cordova first week of june.....anyone wanna give some opinions on fishing and hiking opportunities? shore saltwater and freshwater advice needed....never been to cordova before.

HFAK

Release Lake Trout

Well, in early summer, there isn't a whole lot for fishing. They do have an epic silver run in the fall though. There are not a whole lot of charter boats there either. The Orca Lodge has some boats and they'll chase halibut and I think there is one charter boat in the marina, but I don't know anything about his him or if he is still in business. In some of the ponds there is decent trout fishing. In some of the rivers, there is ok red salmon fishing. The Copper River is there, but it is usually to big and fast to fish in early summer. There are lots of hiking trails and chances of seeing bears are good. If I wanted to fish, I'd wait until late July at the earliest for some early silvers, pinks, and chums.
    It is mostly a commercial fishing town where the most popular method to catch fish is with a bow picker and a gill net.

Default Childs glacier

If you can make it, go up to the Million dollar bridge and watch the glacier calve, I actually saw it push sockeye up on the beach with some of the huge waves it creates. I can't remember the time frame but we caught a bunch of sockeye in a small river off the road. I can't remember where it was it's been 15 years. It was a neat little fishing town and we fished halibut just outside of town in the morale boats the CG had. I would think there would be some saltwater charters that would be worth taking out. Have fun.

As Waldo said already.....there are no charters there to speak of other than Gary at Orca Lodge.

That being said, the fishing there is great if you hit it at the right time of year. Plenty of trout fishing to be had out in the lakes at Pipeline Hiking trail. If you're feeling really adventurous in the summertime you can pack a 3-4 weight fly rod up to the top of the mountain to fish in Crater Lake off of Power Creek Road. It's rumored to have small rainbows in it and the view up there is beyond magnificent!! You can sit up there and fish while watching the goats and black bears play around in the meadows that surround the lake.

Also the Ibek River just outside of town (6 mile) has some great fly and spin fishing for dolly varden up to about 23".

In June there will be still be reds at the wier on the Eyak. It's fly fishing only and is more of a snagging trip than anything. The pinks will be starting to run and can get thick by the Orca Cannery and also out Whiteshed at the bridge where Hartney Bay starts.

If it were me though I'd definitely wait till the silvers start. That fishing is beyond phenominal in the Eyak River. My advise there would be to rent a cabin at Bear's Den Cabins and get one of their boats so that you can be mobile. There are fish everywhere once the run starts and you can catch them all day on virtually anything.

You can't even come close to running out of hiking trips in 3-4 days with all the trails there. I would recommend going up ski hill for a quick but rewarding hike, McKinley Cabin trail for a great hike with a view of the lake to watch the bears feed on salmon in the shallows by the back cabin near the mines, take Pipeline back to the highway from McKinley's back cabin and enjoy the meadows, Eyak River trail for berry picking and fishing at the end which is also one of the best silver spots on the river, and it's always worth the drive to Childs Glacier and the Million Dollar bridge for pictures.

Here's a few pictures of those Cordova silvers I caught while waiting for a blackie to poke his head out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cordova in June

I'm heading to Cordova in June with the wife. Taking the fishing gear with me, but not sure where to fish there. I'm assuming reds, maybe kings at that time? Any suggestions would help. Staying at the Bear's Den. Thanks.

Sam

Wont find kings in the fishable rivers around Cordova. Reds will be in the Eyak just up from your cabin at the wier. Its fly fishing only though at that spot.

went to cordova the first time june 26-29 2008 for a job, took my workvan on the ferry. very stunning views of the sound, brought binos and seen goats,deer,and all sorts of whales.Heard of all the great bear hunting and fishing so took some fishing gear and a gun in hope of having some fun after the job was done.we got there and was able to get the job done first day there,we were stoked about all the trails to explore from the map we got from the forest service lady on the ferry.the first spot we hit was the pipeline trail it is a amazing hike threw majestic settings there are three ponds and had best luck at first and second caught our first cutthroats.Camp at the new childs glacier camp ground. i never heard a glacier calve until then and it is a sight to see, so has it ,it was the hotest temp on there record and the glacier was calveing all night long it sounded like gunshots hard to fall asleep.the next day went and caught more trout and ran in to a coastgaurd guy that told of a fishing hole before childs glacier,said he caught kings and reds day before.he gave us mile marker[i can't rember it though] and of we went.when we showed up I thought he was pulling are chain. there was a big flooded delta to the right and a culvert running under the road and had a big pool into a silty stream, had some russian river flys and first drift nailed a big red!!he wasn't full of it.caught two of are limits of reds there everyday we were there but no kings. seen alot of bears but being so hot and not being to properly care for rug we just watched them,they dont know how lucky the are!.had a blast gona bring the new wife and little one in 2010 god probally wont give us the perfect weather of last trip, but still will take what weather he throws at us

Default here is a red

Default my first cutthroat trout tasty!!

That Coast Guard guy wasn't too bright giving up the honey hole like that!! Good thing you dont remember the mile marker

lol im sure he'll remember it when we go this June! man i cant wait ! im definately bringin my fly rod, float tube and my .300 win mag

Release Lake Trout

Yeah, I'll be out there the end of May, Cordova is an awesome place. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    That Coast Guard guy wasn't too bright giving up the honey hole like that!! Good thing you dont remember the mile marker
    The fishing was so great that little hole is etched in my mind.And that coastgaurd man was just being a TRUE alaskan by makeing the most out of our stay at cordova.

Calm down there haus, I figured you would pick up on the little smiley face at the end and realize I wasn't being a di*k,... guess not. There are plenty of fish in that hole to go around but usually not many people use it because its not really fishing, just a place to go to catch two quick fish and go back to base. Most people that want to fish go to a nice river and catch reds not throw their fly in a drainage ditch off the side of the road. I'll try to be a "TRUE" alaskan when I go out there for deployment this May and Post a large neon pink sign next to the silty drainage ditch informing those that drive by to "Catch Reds Here"

Lets get back to fishing instead of fighting.

Red from the wier on the Eyak, use weighted flys and sinking line.

Reds spawning above Eyak lake. This is no fishing area.

Steve

Nice pics Steve.

yea, dont cry about it CG.....itll be okay....im plannin on throwin a fly in that drainage ditch and i dont see any problem with it. Having never caught a copper river red before I aint gonna be picky about the method or location. Be a nice quick way to get lunch anyways. oh and thanks for the offer but we wont be needing the neon pink sign, id hate for you to go thru all that trouble just for us and possibly break a nail.

RELAX!

Release Lake Trout