Thread: SE Hunting

Default SE Hunting

I have been thinking about pulling my boat from Wasilla to Haines this fall for some deer hunting but wondering if it's worth the effort. Are the deer fairly close to Haines or is their alot of motoring to get to them. I have hunted Whittier but always seem to get blown off the water. I hear SE is exellant for deer but wanted some of your guys opinion. Thanks

Don't believe it would be worth it. Sullivan Island is the close deer island,very small and very well hunted. Now if you boat is big enough to get on Admiralty Island its worth it if you just want to use your own boat

Seems like it would be easier, and perhaps less expensive to fly down and get someone to drop you on a more productive hunting area further south on the panhandle. Driving to Haines would include the headache of taking a gun through Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Seems like it would be easier, and perhaps less expensive to fly down and get someone to drop you on a more productive hunting area further south on the panhandle. Driving to Haines would include the headache of taking a gun through Canada.
    I have to say we got more flack at the border for my dogs and a couple packages of smoked salmon. They barely glanced at guns but the dogs got the once over. If you have the forms in order should not be a big deal. I have to agree, the money you spend on gas might buy you a plane ticket and than a water taxi to some good deer hunting.

Default I would fly

I would have to agree with the others. I would spend the money on a plane ticket or use miles to fly. If you look and pay attention you can usually find some pretty cheap airfare to SE. If you want to rough it, you can then find a water taxi or air charter to take you out somewhere, or you can fine all kind of lodging places from cook or own meal type rentals to meals included.

Default Admiralty island

PM me and I will forward a person on Admiralty Island that runs deer hunts, duck hunts and B Bear. He is a registered Guide but easy on the pocket book. Gerberman

Agree with the previous posts; unless of course you can spend a month or so;then it would be great& maybe worth the expense to have your own boat.

Default Closed

It's a bit of a run from Haines to anywhere you can hunt deer. Unit 1D is closed to deer hunting. I think the last time they had a season only 10 deer were taken. Also Lynn Canal in the fall is not a place to be in a small boat. If you trailer your boat to Haines I would look for a ferry to get you farther south. It might be cheaper in the end to fly to Ketchikan and take the ferry to POW and hunt there. Better hunting too.