Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy an airplane

Default Looking to buy an airplane

Anyone know of a Stinson with 165 hp or greater, or a PA-22/20 with 150 hp for sale? 907 398 9736

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Stinson

There are a couple for sale on Craigslist. In the rv section

108-3 stinson trade for good pick up - $25000 (willow)

Date: 2010-02-05, 8:26PM AKST
    Reply to: sale-cbpan-1588150294@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

108-3 165 hp franklin nice plane looking for good truck no junk because this is a nice plan700 SMOH 8.50 tires flys greart lets deal if you dont have a truck what do you have or i wil sell for $25,000 if intrested call me please no bull****ers I,ve had enough of those my # is 841-1876

Default Projects

I have one PA22-135 project for sale complete aircraft, engine disassembled, crank cracked, wings need re-assembled, one has very small amount of corrosion the other has new spars but needs assembled, will probably need to buy some new ribs. new wind screen and all the covering goes with it.This project has cowling's and parts to either make a pacer or tri-pacer. N1202C , Final assembly will need new struts to comply with ad. $6000.00 Located @ montague /Yreka Roher field 1o5

Also have a plans built Cavalier 102.5 complete aircraft for sale. needs re-assembly and covered. has 0290G installed would be wise to crack open and check out. has been on engine stand since 1980 with preservative oil installed. $12,000.00

Thumbs up pa-20/22

I would recomend a pacer/tripacer as a really good airplane and probobly the be bang for the buck you can find in the airplane world. If you don't buy the project from steelman, look at the shortwing piper club classifieds. There is always a plane or two for sale. Remember this too,.... (*with all the caveats in place),.. the more you spend at first the cheaper it will be later.
    Buy junk and you will pay and pay and pay.......

JMHO

Thanks Steelman but I don't want a project that will take me longer than 2 months to get flying. I'm 6' 1" and can't comfortably use a TCraft, 140, Champ/Chief, that's why I'm looking for a Stinson or Pacer.

I think Champs are about as good as it gets for taller people. I'm 6'4" 200lbs, and my Champ is about 10 times more comfortable and easier to get in and out of than other tandem planes Ive been in.

Thumbs up Champs!!

I have to agree w Bobk also, I have a champ and absolutly LOVE it. That said,.... to get a champ to fly really well it needs some help. Also, most champs are not loved the way cubs are and are usually needing some tlc. Be sure to have some one that knows what they are talking about look at ANYTHING you think about buying. The ability to read between the lines in a log book is invaluable. Feel free to give me a call personally if you need help or advice on a specific plane.

There seems to always be a couple 20/22's for sale when driving the airports in the Anchorage area. I've seen two recently one on tires at lake hood in the fenced area near floats alaska and one at merrill on the north side. I'm not really in the market so I didn't right any info down. Seems like most aircraft don't get advertised. I'll keep my eye open.

JB

Thanks guys. I and my new found A&P friend, whom I'm sure I will get to know much better, are going to see a Stinson on Saturday morning. I'm in Sterling so if anyone sees a plane on one of the Anchorage fields for sale I'd appiciate the info.

Does your mechanic have much experience working on Stinsons? I used to own one, I can think of a few things to check.

Tralika I'm all ears. Doesn't hurt to check more things than less. What's on your list?

I'm assuming your going to look at one of the 108 series Stinsons. I had a 108-2. Stinsons are great airplanes, very comfortable, easy to fly, handles turbulance well about the most forgiving taildragger when landing. The Franklin engines are a good, very smooth, but as you know they have not been out of production for many years. You can still find parts for them. The biggest threat to the Franklin in the future will be crankshafts. The supply of oversized bearings is just about gone which means you can't have the crankshaft reground during overhaul. A couple of years ago there was a company, I think in Texas, that claimed they were going to put the oversized bearings back in production. I don't know if that happened. There are still cams available but they are not new, just yellow tagged. There is a large inspection plate on the top of the Franklin crankcase that is attached with about 10 bolts. It's easy to remove and you can get a good look inside the engine. If you get past the first look inspection and get serious about buying the Stinson I would remove that cover and take a look. The cam is below the crankshaft but with a mirror and a flashlight you can get a pretty good look at the cam lobes. When the cam goes bad it is usually the exhaust valve on the #1 cylinder (the one closest to the prop). Get a good look at the cam lobes for corrosion. Before you remove the cover I'd order a new gasket for it. When you put the new gasket on use permetex. Most likley your mechanic will object to using the permetex but I bet you a jelly donut it will leak if you don't. It is typical for Stinsons to have low hours but high calander time between overhauls. It will cost about $10,000 or so to overhaul a Franklin engine. That's no bad compared to other airplane engines. The reason it is cheaper is because your not replacing cylinders, cam or crank with new parts.

The Stinson airframes are much better built than most other tube and fabric planes. If you look at an uncovered Stinson airframe next to a Piper the Stinson looks like it's built more like a bridge than a plane. The Stinson frame has wood spreaders against the fabric at the lowest point of the frame. This keeps water from collecting next to the longarons to prevent corrosion. If your going to get corrosion it will start all the way back in the tail. You can't really inspect it without removing the fabric but you can punch test. If the plane has a float kit check the frame very closely around the attach points. Any frame can be bent during a hard landing on floats, the Stinson is no exception. By the way the wheel landing gear is by far much stronger with more travel than most other similar planes.

Look at the elevator push/pull tube between the front seats. You can pull a pin on the front outboard of each front seat and the seat bottom will fold back out of the way. The flap cable goes over the elevator tube, if it comes off it's track it will wear a groove into the aluminum tube and you'll have to replace it. Take a good look at the seat back frames where they attach to the seat bottom. I had one break during take off once. Very exciting! Look for cracks and evidence of repairs. If it has been repaired make sure it was a quality repair. You'll have to remove the seat cover to see the frame.

If there is any minor damage to the sheet metal on the elevator or rudder, keep in mind that the sheet metal used on those parts is no longer made. Univair still makes the parts but they have different patterns and will not match up. If you are trying to repair part of those surfaces you will have to buy a used part to cannibalize or else replace the entire surface. Univair still supports the Stinson but, as with all airplane parts, everything is expensive.

If the plane your going to look at has been metalized (fabric skin replaced with sheet metal) don't bother. Just my opinion.

If you haven't done so already, check out the Stinson Club web site,
    stinsonclub.org
    It's a very active club, lots of good information and tech help for it's members.

That's all I can think of for now, good luck.

Thanks for the info Tralika. I'll keep it in mind.

Bought the Stinson. My A&P said it was a good plane for what I wanted it for and that it was in great shape except for the paint. I will be stripping and repainting it for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Got it at a decent price that I am happy with. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Default Congratulations!

Congratulations on your purchase. I am a fellow Stinson fan and have several friends who are Stinson owners. I always enjoy hearing about other Stinsons in the area. How about a few details? Is it a 108-1, -2, or -3 or other model? fabric? basic instruments or IFR? any extra goodies like bush wheels, skis or floats? How do you plan to use it? I have never talked to anyone who regretted buying a Stinson. A few have regretted selling one though.
    Patrick

It's a 1947 -2. New 8.50 main and scott tailwheel. Fabric covering and basic instuments. Planning on using on some grass/gravel strips and maybe some beachs/long sandbars when my CFI and I think I'm good enough. Not going to push it. I know it takes a lot of skill to land on even long gravel bars. Going to look for a few parts. I need some rear seats and I'll also look for a set of bush tires for it.

Thumbs up

Congrats on the Stinson!

But any "I bought an airplane" thread must include pics!!!

Default bush tires

Once upon a time the 8.50s were THE bush tires. In a Stinson I have made a bunch of gravel bar landings and a beach landing with 8.50s with no problems. You just have to be sure the rocks are not too big. If you go much larger you will notice quite a bit of drag when flying. Also the larger diameter tires make having double-puck brakes much more important.
    Patrick

Found a complete set of seats f/r in the colors that I'm going to paint the plane for $325. Lucked out there. I'll post some photos when I get it home and take some.

Congratulations, I bet you'll be happy with your Stinson. When you start flying your plane and get comfortable with it I think you'll find that tires bigger than 8.50s may not be a good idea. The plane really doesn't have the kind of performance that will justify the big tires. I flew my -2, with 8.50's, into lots of remote places, my personal minimums were 800 feet and rocks no bigger than your fist. That was with a the plane loaded light. I had no hull insurance so I flew over lots of places I would have liked to land and didn't, I also landed a few places where I wish I hadn't. I was always able to get out without dinging up the plane but keep in mind that a Stinson is not a Cub or a 185. I tell people that my Stinson taught me how to fly, it's that forgiving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast