Thread: Dog boots?

Default Dog boots?

My dogs start limping almost immediately when I take them out here. I have tried a couple brands of booties but the dogs throw them after just a few minutes. Any recommendations?

Get some nylon or light weight cordura booties from a dog mushing supplier..Ask for the long distance racing booties, they will hold up better. They have elastic velcro closures on them that will hold them on. Put your index finger in the top of the booty while you strap the velcro, and pull it tight. When you pull out your finger it will be just about the right tightness. You dont want to cut off circulation, especially in the winter.

Hopefully your dog's dewclaws were taken off as a pup. If not keep it trimmed short and you may have to put some padding under it or else the booty will cause the dewclaw to dig into the skin and cause problems..

Good luck.

We use www.dogbooties.com

Our husky has thin pads and always gets her paws cut up by the pavement and barnacles and these do the trick for us. She walks around all funny for a few minutes while we laugh at her, but quickly forgets whats on her feet.
    Nice Marmot.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Booties

I have bought every booty at bootie.com and my dog hated every one of them. He is a Siberian Husky. I'm not sure why, except he is stubborn and hates change, except when it comes to dog bones. He likes them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Ditto this endorsement. I've bought from this company and received good product & service.

I use the 500 Cordura versions with the "velstretch" fasteners. They stay on very well. The thing is that you never put them on the dog and just let the dog be idle. They will try to chew them off. You have to put them on immediately before starting some activity that will distract them from the booties. Then take them off as soon as you are done.

My next purchase will be the Toughtek 9000 version that has a grip fabric. The Cordura fabric is pretty slick on hard pack and the dog slips around a lot.

Also, while waiting for your booties to show up in the mail, if you have a grooming shear (electric trimmer), then get into the pads and cut all the hair on the bottom of the feet. This hair is what traps snow in the pads. There are other health reasons why you should keep the hair between the pads cut as well, but it certainly helps with winter walking in the snow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Ice balling up in between a dog's toes is problamatic, but I've never used boots on my pointing dogs. My technique for solving this problem is not a quick one. First, I make sure my dogs' feet are toughened up by frequent roading throughout the non-hunting part of the year, and then I'm hunting them often throughout the long season. Second, I trim the hair on their feet. I've had a bottle of "Musher's Secret" in my truck for several years, but for some reason I've not actually tried it on the dogs yet. Maybe this spring?

Jim

Default cut pads

I've never had ice ball problems with my pointer but twice in the last month we have had cut pads. Both times we were out chasing hares & the snow was deep & crusted & the ice crust kept cutting them. Never had that problem & in here younger years she wouldn't let an abrasion bother her but now when it happens she really slows down & starts following in my tracks. Obviously when I notice this we quit & head back but when you drive for an hour + & only get to hunt for an hour it is dissapointing. I going to try the booties & see if they help, but she is turing 8 & has never worn them & exhibits the said behavior when putting them on so will shall see.

Cool Nothing stays on long....

I have tried several flavors of booties on my Britt...from the dollar bin cloth types to the, $20+ dollar fancy cordura w/ traction soles and the neoprene booty. I have used athletic tape over the velcro and still she ends up "planting" the booties somewhere. She is hard working and covers a lot of terrain and cover. She also stops, clears the ice herself and moves on, but I don't like to make her do that often.

Even though she loses her booties, it prevents ice build up for the first half of the hunt...therefore it delays her discomfort and we can usually finish the hunt and get back to the truck before she is totally distracted by it. If I am out for a longer hunt I carry extra booties and/or "grease".

I try to keep her foot hairs trimmed and I am getting better at recognizing snow conditions that are more problematic. I have "greased" her with bag balm or Vaseline in between her toes and it seems to prevent ice build up for awhile, like the booties it is temporary. I typically have not had problems with the pads (knock on wood).

Jim, I am curious : What is "Mushers Secret"?

Foot shape will dictate how long your booties will last. If you have a dog with big feet, the boots won't come off. My golden can wear booties for hours in the snow without ever losing one. Our new lab probably won't be the same as her feet are fairly small.

I've also used Musher's Secret, but it's kind of a pain to apply (messy) and it is very, very slippery. The first time I tried it, after the dog came back in the house he couldn't stand on the kitchen floor because of how slippery his feet were. While out in the snow it did appear to work. I imagine that if you expect the boots to fall off but wanted to start with them anyway, that putting this on under the boots would extend your outdoor time as long as you need to (assuming that you cut off all the pad hair as well).

Here's a link to some Musher's Secret...

http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secret.../dp/B0002XIZXY
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Burke,

Musher's Secret is a salve/greese type of stuff that is sold up here in Fairbanks in the feed stores, specifically Cold Spot Feeds where all the mushers shop. The ingredients are...well, it's a secret, I guess.

Jim

How does the Mushers secret compare to vaseline and or bag balm?
    I bet I can find some around here someplace.