Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting the "Right Way"

Default Hunting the "Right Way"

I want to become the most responsible, ethical hunter I can, and thanks to this forum I have learned how to hunt the "right way".

Here are a few:

- Hunt only with the most primitive weapon possible, anything else is not “hunting” so all firearms and compound bows are out.

- The absolute quickest means of killing the animal must be used at all times, anything less of instantaneous death is unethical. So archery equipment is out.

- Do not discuss, share, show anything related to the animal I take, or god forbid “preserve” any part of the animal as this process is considered “bragging” and is highly unethical.

- Do not kill anything less than a trophy animal, because to do so is too easy, and just isn’t hunting.

- Do not kill a trophy animal because it is widely known that if you do, your not going to eat it.

- Find what area of the state is “mine”, there should be no one else there using this land for there activities, because again, this is MY land.

- Do not use any type of a motorized vehicle as the trails it leaves are way worse than game trails, which is not a concern since the only way I should be able to hunt is if I live in the bush year round anyways.

- Do not use any “high tech” gadgets, to do so renders you incompetent of “real hunting”

- When the fish and game state I can shoot 15 birds, they really mean one.

- If the limit is 15, I am going to kill 15 each and every time.

- I should be able to kill any animal, as many as I want, whenever I want, for whatever reason because it is my right.

- When hunting, I should not kill any animal, since the purpose of hunting is just to enjoy the outdoors, and I am a hunter, not a killer.

- If a life and death situation arises and I am starving , and I find a wolf killed caribou, I should leave it for the wolf since he “belongs here” and I do not.

-Trapping, baiting, and use of dogs are out. This method is highly un-ethical because everybody knows that these methods guarantee success each and every time.

- Always assume “other” hunters are unethical, immoral, lazy, and more than likely hunting illegally, after all, they aren’t me right?

It’s funny, if some “hunters” got their way, there would be no hunting left for anyone. Just something to ponder.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Wow.........

With all the whining and complaining, to sort through, you have learned alot.
    I often wonder how their Husbands put up with it .....?????

Free yourself;

Do what you want, when you want, how you want, for you various reasons.

LIBERTY.

There , thats the word........., and may you find lots!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Broad stroke attack

Is that your attempt at humor?

Such a broad stroke attack at such a mix of issues really doesn't accomplish much.

Saying all hunters are devisive and counter productive towards the heritage and utilize this bulletin board as a soap box to push some kind of elitist agenda is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post

It’s funny, if some “hunters” got their way, there would be no hunting left for anyone. Just something to ponder.

Ryan
    Ironically, what it seems I've learned from your post is that hunters shouldn't have opinions on issues related to hunting, and if they do, they sure shouldn't share them.

Discussing all of the above topics is the very point of this forum, and I'm glad that folks have strongly held beliefs and that they share them. We all become better men and women when we examine what we do and why we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Is that your attempt at humor?

Such a broad stroke attack at such a mix of issues really doesn't accomplish much.

Saying all hunters are devisive and counter productive towards the heritage and utilize this bulletin board as a soap box to push some kind of elitist agenda is wrong.

Seriously?

First off, I said some hunters.

Second, it's not an attack at the "issues", and it definitely not "elitist agenda" . Each one of those statements has an equal and opposite statement below it to show just because you think something is the "right way", someone else thinks just the opposite. all I did was pool some together to show that pretty much "elitist agendas" as you put it, would pretty much ban hunting for everyone. I thought it was self explanatory, but guess not.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

I want to become the most responsible, ethical hunter I can, and thanks to this forum I have learned how to hunt the "right way".

Here are a few:

- Hunt only with the most primitive weapon possible, anything else is not “hunting” so all firearms and compound bows are out.

- The absolute quickest means of killing the animal must be used at all times, anything less of instantaneous death is unethical. So archery equipment is out.

- Do not discuss, share, show anything related to the animal I take, or god forbid “preserve” any part of the animal as this process is considered “bragging” and is highly unethical.

- Do not kill anything less than a trophy animal, because to do so is too easy, and just isn’t hunting.

- Do not kill a trophy animal because it is widely known that if you do, your not going to eat it.

- Find what area of the state is “mine”, there should be no one else there using this land for there activities, because again, this is MY land.

- Do not use any type of a motorized vehicle as the trails it leaves are way worse than game trails, which is not a concern since the only way I should be able to hunt is if I live in the bush year round anyways.

- Do not use any “high tech” gadgets, to do so renders you incompetent of “real hunting”

- I should be able to kill any animal, as many as I want, whenever I want, for whatever reason because it is my right.

- When hunting, I should not kill any animal, since the purpose of hunting is just to enjoy the outdoors, and I am a hunter, not a killer.

- If a life and death situation arises and I am starving , and I find a wolf killed caribou, I should leave it for the wolf since he “belongs here” and I do not.

-Trapping, baiting, and use of dogs are out. This method is highly un-ethical because everybody knows that these methods guarantee success each and every time.

- Always assume “other” hunters are unethical, immoral, lazy, and more than likely hunting illegally, after all, they aren’t me right?

Ryan
    Pretty much right on the mark - so - STANDBY! The keyboards will be "ablazen" with grumblings from those seeing too much of them selves in some of your points!
    Thanks for posting

What's ironic, is the only thing you are allowed to criticize on a hunting forum is methods of hunting and the people who do it.

Ryan

Here are a few:

Ryan
    Sadly, this is what the board has turned into. Lots of "members" slink along these threads saying nothing until they find something to pounce on.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I guess since the Colts lost, everyone lost their sense of humor. Good one.

Default I could see the truth and the sarcasum there

The anti hunting crowd complain that Back east they(the hunters) have been feeding the deer causing the populations to increase, making the deer a pest. If that is true , why not do the same things where you hunt?
    Hunters have redefigned their activity as a harvest , so prove it ,invest some food into the animals you Harvest. your in the field where they are , plant some seeds, it is not rocket science. The only reason men fight over hunting ground is quantity. The only way to stop the figh is have a surpluss. It also insures future Harvesting for your self as well.
    I just recently learned this valuable principle and already have seed to dispense as I hunt , It's not that expensive an investment, compared to every thing else I spend money on to hunt. How much bait do you throw away fishing and chumming ? What's the difference? If you catch something or nothing but the guy next to you does, yer happy some one lucked out . Insuring people bag their limit perpetuates and justifies the activity, The fewer successful hunters there are, the fewer there are to defend what you love to do.
    you choose.

Hey Arleigh, could you recommend a "moose" feed I could plant out here and would readily grow?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hey Arleigh, could you recommend a "moose" feed I could plant out here and would readily grow?
    Moose always liked my Mom's tulips, of course they hardly ever grew since the moose would dig up the bulbs.

Reading Lost's rant reminded me about the numerous sheep threads from last Aug./Sept. Lotta of armchair quarterbacking on these hunt reports.

Tim

Default Our Own Worst Enemy

I read a pretty long discussion thread in another forum about how we are becoming our own worst enemy. It was started along the lines of how we have taken a turn in the wrong direction and how the ability to remain anonymous via internet has put us in a position where many find it easy to sit back and find criticism and fault in everything another does.

It is pretty said to see us bash and criticize each other, when the future of our sport is so dependant on our shared contribution.

It's not like Green Peace and Peta needs our help!

Ryan, you posted this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost By Choice
    I got an idea, how about two hunting sections. One for all the "real hunters, where they can sit around and criticize everyone else, and talk about how their way is the most righteous way, and a second section for all us non-hunters where we can talk about hunting.

OR,

Everyone just talks about HUNTING on the HUNTING forum instead of criticizing each other, or is that just too crazy of an idea? I half think this topic was brought up to stir the pot. The post doesn't even really make sense, but look at the attention it got. So some guy on some radio made a joke about his buddy cleaning his animal. This is dumb!
    With all due respect, Ryan, I view this snarky thread as the same kind of "pot stirring" you mentioned above. Not really sure what you expect to come of it, other than, perhaps, a desire expressed above that you want absolutely no criticism to occur on this forum at all.

I'm glad that you want to become the most responsible, ethical hunter that you can. I assume that wasn't just sarcasm (?) I think that is a noble goal we should all pursue. Not that any way is the "right" way, but that we all, no matter how we hunt, understand that responsible and ethical hunting and hunters are the continuing future of hunting, but that the opposite threatens hunting.

There are good ways and bad ways of giving advice or offering criticism. That's really the key, and I imagine what you and others are really upset about here. One of the key values I see in this forum is the ability to educate and help other hunters and anglers and outdoors-minded folk. That can't happen without at times offering constructive criticism and the bantering back and forth of opinions and ideas. Just has to be done in the "right way" <grin>.

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Ryan, you posted this in another thread:
    Thanks bushrat for selectively posting a comment I wrote. Just out of curiosity, how many of my posts did you have to weed through to get the right one for your reply. That is much better than being able to see the thread in it's entirety.

With all due respect, Ryan, I view this snarky thread as the same kind of "pot stirring" you mentioned above. Not really sure what you expect to come of it, other than, perhaps, a desire expressed above that you want absolutely no criticism to occur on this forum at all.
    Not even close to what I am saying.

I'm glad that you want to become the most responsible, ethical hunter that you can. I assume that wasn't just sarcasm (?) I think that is a noble goal we should all pursue. Not that any way is the "right" way, but that we all, no matter how we hunt, understand that responsible and ethical hunting and hunters are the continuing future of hunting, but that the opposite threatens hunting.
    Finally, something we can agree on! Wanton waste, illegal means of hunting, needless destruction of our resources, unsafe practices, are all bad juju and should be addressed accordingly. I do not support or defend these actions or the people who do it.

"No matter how we hunt"

That right there is the point of this thread....and to piggy back

"No matter why we hunt"

There are good ways and bad ways of giving advice or offering criticism. That's really the key, and I imagine what you and others are really upset about here. One of the key values I see in this forum is the ability to educate and help other hunters and anglers and outdoors-minded folk. That can't happen without at times offering constructive criticism and the bantering back and forth of opinions and ideas. Just has to be done in the "right way" <grin>.
    How does a bowhunter condemning rifle hunting as un-sporting help the future of hunting? How is that informing anyone on bowhunting? How is that ensuring responsible and ethical hunting practices?

How is feeding on the stereotype that many hunters are irresponsible and unethical helping? Is that how we educate?

It's easy to fall back and claim"I am just promoting responsible hunting" but in reality, the things I am pointing out have nothing to do with responsibile hunting. It isn't even construtive criticism, what it is, is people talking bad about other people to make themselves look better. And what it is doing is dividing hunters into "clicks", and to me, that is bad.

If you get bored sometime, surf a anti-hunting forum, very little bantering going on there, it is very much a unified front.

All be it, this post was a bit sarcastic, but it is not a rant, or a pot-stirrer, or flaming. What it is, is a collective of ideals that are expressed regularly and what would be left if everyone got their way. If anyone on here thinks their way is the best way, great! do tell, quite honestly I will more than likely be fascinated to hear about it. I love the whys and the hows, but belittling other methods or reasons helps nothing.

Ryan

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Reading Lost's rant reminded me about the numerous sheep threads from last Aug./Sept. Lotta of armchair quarterbacking on these hunt reports.

Tim
    Yup Lotta of negative feed back from lots of people... not only for hunting or fishing but all of it.. bout sick of it myself, if you don't like something shut the hell up...

just about it for me.. you want information on how to do it? or where to go? or whats going on with the BOG or AC meetings? pm me or show up... i am about done here...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ryan,

You missed my point, apparently, about their being good and bad ways of offering advice or criticism. I agree with points you make on some of it being on the bad side.

For example, I certainly don't view a bowhunter condemning all rifle-hunting as being unsportsmanlike as a good thing.

And Vince, sorry to see that comment from you. About being done here. I'm just not seeing all the negatives to the degree you guys are.

Anywho, maybe we all just need to get out more...I'm sure enjoying it lately:

Cheers to all,

Talking What about guides???

Lost By Choice,

Why do you like guides?
    You completely left guides and commercial hunting services off your stinging list of "right way" complaints.
    By not exhibiting some delusional and illogical divisive prejudice against the guide commmunity you have completely sacrificed the credibility of your entire post. (wink, wink)
    Again, why have you choose to not discriminate equally against the guide-outfitter community????

...just something to ponder....dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Lost By Choice,

Why do you like guides.
    You completely left guides and commercial hunting services off your list of complaints.
    By not exhibiting some delusional and illogical divisive prejudice against the guide commmunity you have completely sacrificed the credibility of your entire post.
    Again, why have you choose to not discriminate equally against the guide-outfitter community????

My bad , cut me some slack though, I am new at this taking on the world thing I will try to do a more thourough job in the future..........Guides, non-res, fishing(ooh that's a whole nother can of worms), salvage requirements, etc. Will all be judged and defended in the future!!!

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast