Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom 340wby - is finished will ship soon

Default Custom 340wby - is finished will ship soon

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY CUSTOM 340WBY - I CALL IT THOR'S HAMMER

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking setup. Are you going to stick with the 210 Partition Bullet for this gun?

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    Nice looking setup. Are you going to stick with the 210 Partition Bullet for this gun?

I will be testing the 210gr Partition, 210gr Scirocco, 225gr Accubond, 225gr North Fork, 250gr Partition, Accubond, Sierra SBT and 240gr North Fork
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A few more pictures

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What is that McMillan stock called? It looks very similiar to the stock on my Weatherby Ultralight. Do you know how much lighter it is than the Weatherby issue?

Oh yea, cool rifle. Interested to hear your report on recoil versus your Ruger 338. My Sako in 338 thumps me bad enough, not sure I could handle much more!

Also interested to see how true the Swift Scirocco's fly for you. I have a box of 210's I haven't loaded yet and am planning on trying them in my 338Winnie and 338-06. The other two calibers I have loaded with Scirocco's did not shoot near as good as other premium bullets, so hoping that was just a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    What is that McMillan stock called? It looks very similiar to the stock on my Weatherby Ultralight. Do you know how much lighter it is than the Weatherby issue?

Oh yea, cool rifle. Interested to hear your report on recoil versus your Ruger 338. My Sako in 338 thumps me bad enough, not sure I could handle much more!

Also interested to see how true the Swift Scirocco's fly for you. I have a box of 210's I haven't loaded yet and am planning on trying them in my 338Winnie and 338-06. The other two calibers I have loaded with Scirocco's did not shoot near as good as other premium bullets, so hoping that was just a fluke.
    It is a McMillian that is used on the Weatherby rifle not sure of weight of rifle yet, have not received it yet, should next week. The Scirocco's do not perform well unless your rifle likes them a whole lot. I will see if mine does. I have had the same experience with them that you have had, that they do not shoot as accurate as other bullets. But we will see.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking rifle, but I'm betting that 1/2" pad is going to suck. What's the rifle weigh as it sits and what scope you going with? And is that cerakote finish on the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice looking rifle, but I'm betting that 1/2" pad is going to suck. What's the rifle weigh as it sits and what scope you going with? And is that cerakote finish on the barrel?
    The pad is the same one I had on my 375Wby and I did fine with it. Rifle weight with out scope is just at 8 pounds. Yes to finish on receiver.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

No muzzle brake!!!! Tooth you da man! Iffen the 375 didn't hurt ya none this en ort not to neither! Whatcha fixen to kill with it.......I recon anything what walks in front of it. What I mean is did you do this build with a specific purpose....a planned upcoming hunt?

It looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    No muzzle brake!!!! Tooth you da man! Iffen the 375 didn't hurt ya none this en ort not to neither! Whatcha fixen to kill with it.......I recon anything what walks in front of it. What I mean is did you do this build with a specific purpose....a planned upcoming hunt?

It looks sweet!
    I built it for anything and also some specifics. I have one friend who is a one gun man from deer to hog to bigger game and dangerous game and it is a 340Wby.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default muzzle BREAK

I have 2 W 340's, one is magna ported and one has a break similar to a BOSS. They sure help reduce the recoil in case a second shot is needed, I have shot an antelope in MT at 602 yards, and a moose in Canada at 658 yards, using the 225 grain bullets. Nosler partition or Swift A Frame. My 350 Jamison really likes the 250 grain Swift A Frame. Gerberman

BT, very, very nice looking thunderstick you got there! I'll bet it shoots great and am looking forward to the load development reports? I hear tell there is a new magnum powder being put out by the same makers as RL17. I believe it goes by the handle Power Pro 4000 MR. I'm looking forward to giving it a go in the 300 RUM.

Sweet rifle, keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    BT, very, very nice looking thunderstick you got there! I'll bet it shoots great and am looking forward to the load development reports? I hear tell there is a new magnum powder being put out by the same makers as RL17. I believe it goes by the handle Power Pro 4000 MR. I'm looking forward to giving it a go in the 300 RUM.

Sweet rifle, keep us posted
    Thanks MontanaRifleman, I will keep folks posted.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Thanks MontanaRifleman, I will keep folks posted.
    That rifle looks nice beartooth.

Are you considering loading any bullets heavier than 250gr--such as the 275gr A-Frame?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    That rifle looks nice beartooth.

Are you considering loading any bullets heavier than 250gr--such as the 275gr A-Frame?
    Not for the present. Only if I get to go back to Tanzania will I work on those load. The 250 is enough of this continent.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I really like how my 340Wby turned out. I am not a bench man but a hunter and I wanted a good looking medium bore rifle, chambered in a cartridge that had a lot of authority but would also allow me to build a rifle dedicated to the hunt. I am putting a Zeiss Conquest on it but I don't want a long heavy scope. I know most shooting in the field will be under 400 and maybe on occasion at 600yds. I like to get close but sometimes the terrain won't allow an approach. I feel a variable in the power range from 2-10 or 3-9 or even 1.5-6 power with 40mm or less is more than enough. In fact when I go to Africa again (Tanzania) if things shake out and also to Alaska, I will want lots of eye relief and the ability to have quick acquisition of my target so the 3-9x40mm with #4 reticle is my choice.

I have a brand new scope and it is a Zeiss 3-9x40mm, #4 reticle, mounted with Leupold PRW rings.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's nice Beartooth.

Did you really shoot that tree?

That's nice Beartooth.

Did you really shoot that tree?
    Yes, killed it and it fell over with one shot right in it's tracks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, killed it and it fell over with one shot right in it's tracks.
    Good shooting. I'm sure it was self defense.

Good shooting. I'm sure it was self defense.
    It was!!! That tree was Blocking the sun
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast