Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pro pioneer

Default pro pioneer

just bought one (used) and don't know much about these. Anyone want to share the pro's/con's? How about some must haves for it?

Thanks

troy

Default PP con's

Con's I didn't think it had any

Talking Get a bailing bucket

If your running anything fun i.e. heavy water purchase some form of bailing pump or plastic buckets to unload the water at the bottom of your boat.

Thanks for the info so far.

I was hoping to get info as to what type of storage bags works best, tiedowns etc..... I seen in a video some type of yellow cargo net.

Yes this boat is not the self bailing type. Understand Larry might be able to make these holes for me. Left a message with Larry and will hopefully be hearing back from him.

Again just getting things ready for my upcoming sheep hunt.

troy

Default holes

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    If your running anything fun i.e. heavy water purchase some form of bailing pump or plastic buckets to unload the water at the bottom of your boat.

The holes are there if one would like to make it a self bailer; however, this would render the load carrying capacity from that of super raft status, to that of merely an aire traveler.

I have never had much of a water problem, but I often empty the boat at the end of the day.

Did a class III and got overflow in the boat, ended up taking a quick break and bailing the water. No big deal. I was looking at making some type of fly for the front to keep water out but it was not too much trouble. Great Boat, handles well and easy to drag over rocks (if needed) no issues with two rentals so I bought one myself. The only thing I thought of adding were handles on the top of the tubes and some type of foot cup on the floor so when you need the extra oomp you could lean into the oars.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

I know two guys that ran the Kongakut a few years ago in a PP and got swamped in the class III canyon. One guy was thrown from the boat and swam about half a mile. Not pooping on your parade. These guys were WAY overloaded from what I could see. I am not suggesting the PP is not a cabable boat for such a river, it certainly is in the proper hands and when properly loaded. Point is, I will put you in contact with them if you want to email them. Shoot me a PM if applicable. These guys made a dvd set on the Kongakut that you can buy from Amazon. Nice guys and well traveled. However, the Kongakut didn't know that. Ha ha..

Below is the dvd set. They did a book as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Kongakut-River...5673192&sr=8-3
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Talking LOL

Touche eh! Better get them Sparties playing better B-ball man! Sorry my Nooks took 4 of six points in hockey last weekend Rick C. and Brian were not happy campers.

It could never be an A.T. it would need a better warranty and a stiff spine.

Larry Labada is another good source for Soar information he is the man when it comes to the product here is his web site.

http://www.adventuresports.com/kayak.../sec_canoe.htm

Default Soar

I own a few and they work great on hunting trips. I like them because they hold a ton of wt. And float high and dry! I rent them out to groups flying in for Moose hunts. They are much lighter than a 14 raft and have a capacity at about 1000 pounds, the inflated floor is a real +. I suggest getting Oar saddles through because paddling them like a canoe can be a pain in the As## if the wind blows!

Good craft@!

Walt

Default Actaully

If you were comparing the P.P. against the NRS llivery Series None Bailing 14ft Boat your looking at about 10 LBS and about 7 lbs if you take the thawrts out they do not weight that much less than a similar 14ft none bailing boat if we are to compare apples to apples.

That being said not digging on the boat they have their place and application.

Just Saying :-)

So should I bring the oar system with me on the Kongakut?

Far less work, and better control with oars, rather than paddles. But that's assuming you know what you're doing with oars. Paddles are easier for most people to learn. They just don't have near the power to move a heavy boat when you need to. If the boats are loaded lightly with a couple strong paddlers this can work fine.

Walt mentioned the Oar Saddles that are available for the Soar PP. That's what I would use if I had a PP. I would also opt for Cataract composite oars to save weight, increase durability and make life easier.

Default Spot on Jim

Sound Advise eh!

Default PP

I own one and also recommend the saddles with composite oars AND oar-rites.

as far as cargo nets, i bought one from Larry at PV that suspends gear (in my case i use it for meat) above the floor, so it is very sweet...add a rope between the inside, lower D-rings to "push" your feet against when you really need to dig with the oars, plus few good dry bags with backpack-style straps, an extra air pump, and away you go!

i flew in and floated a remote river for 8 days w/o a problem. loaded my PP with 2 guys and 4 bou before it was all said and done...granted by the 3rd bou the PP was a bit slow to respond to the oars, and by the 4th it handled like a tank with 2 broken tracks, but my partner and i knew this would happen so we waited until 400 yds short of the take-out to take our 4th animal

enjoy and best of luck on your sheep!

Berto
    Why would you recommend the composite oars over the regular oars? I know they are lighter but are they stronger? Plus the blades are made onto the shaft if I remember correctly which would mean you have to buy a whole new oar instead of just replacing the blade. Just asking questions before I buy new oars for my set up. Thanks

Smile Larry Bartlett

TV321, e-mail Larry Bartlett, it's his design and he will give you some great tips on the PP.

Default 450Hunter

the composite oars are lighter AND strong (enough), pure and simple.

As far as replacing oar blades, the wear on an oar blade is typically minimal unless it is A) part of a rental package and gets truly abused, or B) owned by someone who truly does many many float-miles each year. Also, if the oarsman is careful, the oar blade does not make contact with anything but water.

I should add my oar saddles are the former design, which are made of aluminum. I cannot speak to the new, plastic oar saddles; I have seen the new saddles, touched them, but not used them.

I've floated the Kongakut, twice in late august sheep hunting. We didn't see any class 3 water, but the water is lower at that time than in early summer too!

You won't have any trouble with PP, We floated in little rubber ducky rafts and were fine!

Dave

You need a padded seat, but, even at that your butt will become sore if you spend too much time rafting.
    Water-proof bags are a lifesaver. especially a water-proof rifle case-mine floats too.And its bright yellow so I can see it!
    Buy a wilderness repair kit from Larry.
    2 years ago I floated about 75 miles in west central Alaska in a PP. I have had my right shoulder repaired twice so I was a bit concerned. Instead of rowing backwards and pulling, I rowed frontwards and pushed the oars instead as if doing push-ups. No sore back and I saw everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast