Thread: Kongakut

Default Kongakut

Looking for photos, videos etc...

I did do a search and read some info, but I am sure there has to be more.

Flying into drain creek on the 6th and being picked up on the 18th at caribou pass. I am planning on taking a pro pioneer on this trip. Two people and sheep hunting gear.

Also plan on fishing, so if you have any fishing advice I will take it also.

Thanks

Troy Vincent

Which month of the year?

Depending on the answer, the dolly fishing could be good. I have spent lots of time fishing for dollies and could make some suggestions. Flyfishing or spinning gear? Shoot me a PM if you want some tips on fishing for dollies.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Aug.

Hunt will take place in Aug.

Another question. Any need for a water purifier? Bear fence? How are the bugs during this time period?

Troy

Default Kongakut

Bugs are not a problem in August. I'd take a water filter just to be sure. Humans use the river corridor, so there's always a chance of impure water. I recommend taking a small metal trash lid or metal oil changing pan to use as a fire pan. One of the worst impacts on northern rivers is fire-scarred rocks and piles of ashes left by unthinking campers. If you plan to have a fire, build it on a gravel bar in the pan. Camp on the gravel bars, too, and you'll leave less impact.

Default Any pictures

I've been hoping to find some pictures on this forum. I plan to go rafting in Alaska soon. I just want to get a visual from somewhere.

Thanks

KG

Everyone needs an internet fax service.

PM on its way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by watergrl View Post
    Bugs are not a problem in August. I'd take a water filter just to be sure. Humans use the river corridor, so there's always a chance of impure water. I recommend taking a small metal trash lid or metal oil changing pan to use as a fire pan. One of the worst impacts on northern rivers is fire-scarred rocks and piles of ashes left by unthinking campers. If you plan to have a fire, build it on a gravel bar in the pan. Camp on the gravel bars, too, and you'll leave less impact.
    That's a good tip on the fire pan. I had heard a few years ago that the Kongakut was getting hammered pretty hard during the summer and there was lots of human waste and such. This came to me from a wildlife biologist assigned to the refuge. Any opinions on that issue, or is it still a problem on the Kongakut?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The bugs probably won't be bad in August, but an excellent rule of thumb in Alaska, except for midwinter, is to bring along some bug dope "just in case." I've gotten fooled in August more than once! Personally, as a giardia "survivor" I'm a believer in treating water, and my current favorite method is with Aqua Mira drops. Especially on a boat trip you could treat five gallons at a time if you wanted. I like the fire pan idea. And "Leave no trace" principles in general.

Never would have thought of the trash can lid, great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    That's a good tip on the fire pan. I had heard a few years ago that the Kongakut was getting hammered pretty hard during the summer and there was lots of human waste and such. This came to me from a wildlife biologist assigned to the refuge. Any opinions on that issue, or is it still a problem on the Kongakut?

-Mike
    I floated it in 2000, I believe. We spent around 18 days along the river in mid August. We saw a camp at Drain Creek,one camp along the river, and several at the takeout. We saw very little sign along the way but quite a lot at the start and finish. It is a trip that I would like to repeat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.