Thread: Trouble finding Winchester Model 70 WSM bases

Default Trouble finding Winchester Model 70 WSM bases

I have a Winchester model 70 300 WSM. I want Leupold bases. I've only seen WSSM, standard, long, short, and magnum action mounts. Gander mountain, Sportman's warehouse and the local stores don't have the correct mounts. Gander mtn said the standard will work. They match up, but when I open my bolt it doesn't open all the way and therefor doesn't allow the action to cycle. I tried the WSSM and the forward mount hangs over alot over the bolt. I'd be willing to try the burris mounts too, I really like the Leupold and Burris style of bases with the cam front and the windage adjustable rear. If anyone has the correct part number or can tell me whicjh one will work on a WSM action it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Billy Jack

I just ordered a set of Talleys for my new model 70 325WSM. I can give you the part number if you want. FYI, when mounting bases, the screws can be different lengths. If you use a screw that is too long, it can protrude down into the action and the bolt can make contact preventing the bolt from moving freely.

Talley is an awesome company and if you call them and tell them what scope you are using on what rifle, they will send you the correct set up.

I always check with my eyes or fingers and make sure that the screws are clear of the bolt.

I have had problems with leupold rings and bases. The last set rusted between the rings and the scope, and they allowed the scope to move in the rings with them properly tightened.

Steve

+1 for checking the screws. I have had to file off a couple of threads before to make some mounts work.

I usually install the bases with the bolt removed. Then you can look in the receiver and see if the screws are too long. The last wsm model 70 I put a scope on used standard bases.

I got a bunch laying around that will work for you. I think they are all Leupold. Stainless or blued, your choice. You can have a set free.

This is my New Winchester Extreme SS with a set of Talley quick detach rings.

Here is a photo of the Leupold rings that I removed from my wife's Remington.