Thread: Super Bowl Sunday Makes For A Good Day Of Calling

Default Super Bowl Sunday Makes For A Good Day Of Calling

Called in with a hare in distress 15 minutes into the stand. My buddy made a great shot and put down the yote in it's tracks. The scorpion is an amazing peice of equipment!

Nice job! I went out yesterday. Swore off predator calling yet again, usually by Thursday I will decide to give it "one last try"

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

AWESOME!!!! Nice job, man. That would've beaten sittin around watching football anytime.

Good picture, too. That one might live on the desktop for a while. Mind if I save it?

I definitely owe ya some rep!

yeah right i went out today and got skunked! seems like the only thing i ever call in re the darn crows.

After looking at it a sec, I see where you had to move the scope in the rings a bit (I think). Doesn't look too bad from here at least....

Default nice coyote...

i wanted to go out today but my usual spot is a swamp right now......so i just hung some more snares in a different place
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

K9 calling has always been a love/hate relationship with me. I've called in wolves and coyotes, but it has taken years to do it. Years to learn the area, the travel patterns of the animals, when to call, what calls they like, and most importantly a healthy dose of luck doesn't hurt. It's all about being in the right place at the right time, that's the hardest part of calling when the pickings are slim.

hunt_ak, sure you can save the photo. You can see the past placement of the scope, really I'm not worried about it. This gun gets beat to death. I can confidentally throw it off a cliff and then shoot a bunny at 100 yards. I'm exaggerating a smidge but you get the idea. We should plan a snowmachine ride and do some calling in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    hunt_ak, sure you can save the photo. You can see the past placement of the scope, really I'm not worried about it. This gun gets beat to death. I can confidentally throw it off a cliff and then shoot a bunny at 100 yards. I'm exaggerating a smidge but you get the idea. We should plan a snowmachine ride and do some calling in the backcountry.
    I cant believe how far off I was on setting that scope!

I'm down with some backcountry callin' for sure! I'm headed out this morning for some calling. I got myself some last minute ghetto 'whites' last night so hopefully I'll be upgrading if these dont work out.

Way to go Gremlin. Beats sitting on the couch for sure......love NFL, but there's always the VCR. Another great Foxpro ad pic. How about some details, always interesting to hear how it unfolded. North or south of Anch, road system or back country, boy or girl? Understand if you feel like holding back info. Good job.

It was snowing on the way to the parking lot and stopped as soon as we unloading the machines, I knew if I saw fresh tracks in the snow an animal was close. I cut some very fresh tracks and saw where the coyote took a trail to a neighboring field. We jumped onto the paralleling trail and called the next open field. I started out with female invite howls off and on for 10 minutes, then ended the set with 5 minutes of off and on snowshoe hare distress. The coyote committed in the last 5 minutes of the stand and came from the neighboring field. Every couple of steps the coyote would stop and jump upwards trying to get a view of what was making the noise. She did not skirt the field or run the trail to the call, she in a generally straight line across the field. The coyote was female roughly 25+lbs.

Sorry this is my new super duper secret spot. That's why you guys didn't get to see the pictures of the surrounding background. I don't want anyone guessing my new honey hole.

Gremlin: Oh, the ole' "new super duper secret spot" place! I totally get it on the secrecy, I wasn't looking for an exact location. Don't ever give up that kind of info. I just try to keep track of how callers are doing around southcentral versus the interior. I call quite a bit and have regular line of stops that I make. I get stoked when I find a new promising one. I rarely give them up, but I do take friends I trust into them. Most times I have more fun when they get the shot instead of me. Curious about the caliber and length of shot. Thanks for the other filled in blanks. Good trip.

Grem do you think something like a jack in the box decoy would've helped her come in sooner, since she was looking for something anyways?

Default Nice

Way to go Water_Gremlin, that's the way to celebrate Super Bowl. I've watched Coyotes come in up here a couple times from a ways out, but they've only stopped and waited, never jumping up. When I've used a decoy, they seem to stop less though, having the hearing and sight covered, they must feel more confident of a meal quickly at hand. Keep those super duper secret spots secret as long as you can, or else they become everyone's favorite spot. Congratulations again.

hunt_ak a decoy would not have made a difference in this scenario. The neighboring field was connected to the field I was calling on by numerous narrow shoots. Therefore a decoy was out of sight. I followed the tracks afterwards and showed the hare call is what brought the coyote in. The coyotes are starting to pair up out there and I thought maybe a female invite would bring in the yote faster than a distress call. This youngen preferred the distress. Maybe she didn't like the sound of a female invite and would have preferred the stud coyote howling for a one night stand.

I've thought about a decoy for a couple of years now. Due to their high cost I've thought long and hard about purchasing such a device. Most of my calling is in areas that have consistant yet sparse K9 populations. My luck comes from being in the right place at the right time and I doubt a decoy would make much of a difference. I'm confident a decoy would not increase my calling success. That's my humble opinion.

On the other hand if I called in vast fields and open valleys where animals were getting hung up 800 yards out I would consider dropping the coin for a decoy. Or if I was calling in a lynx infested drainage a decoy would be high on the list.

Snowcamoman if you are ever in the SC area let me know, I'd enjoy a calling trip with you. Chances of success are low but I'd love to pick your brain.

Water_Gremlin,
    I'd agree exactly with what you said about decoys in the types of areas you hunt. I don't think they'd really provide a payback or major increase from your description of the area. I have a few different decoys, but if I know I'll need one, will usually take a e-caller with a built in decoy like the FoxPro Prairie Blaster or Minaska Ultimate One. I don't like lugging around too many separate things and having the caller/decoy all in one housing is handy at times. Last season, three Coyotes came in to the decoy pretty quick. This season, I've been placing the caller in more "hidden" places so they can't instantly tell where it is and they seem to be trotting in just fine, unaware I'm waiting for them. At the moment I don't have any SC trips planned, but if I do, that'd be great to meet up and hunt and chat calling. I'm not an old "expert" or anything, but I've spend quite a bit of time the past 6 years out in the woods screaming at predators.