Thread: .22 pistol

Default .22 pistol

I am looking at buying a .22 pistol for small stuff; spruce hen, ptarmigan, hairs. I just need something small because I've been doing most of my travel on MT bike and its tough on the rifle when the bike slips out and I end up sprawled out on the Ice. Hoping to get some suggestions for an accurate durable .22 pistol that operates well in the cold.

I love my S&W 617! Accurate, easy to shoot, and very durable.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default gunboot

i just really wanna see pics of a gun boot strapped to a mountain bike
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thumbs up Mark III

I just bought a new a Mark III ruger Hunter ( 6 7/8 inch fluted barrel) .22 and I love it. Accurate, reliable, fits my hand just right and did I mention, accurate? Can't go wrong with this gun.

Diamond D leather has a shoulder holster that is just right also, that would make a nice combination.

JMHO

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the ruger Mark II, III and also the browning buck marks... No gun boot on the bike just a shoulder strap. A barrel to the back of the head never feels good.

Default steel vs skull

yeah that never feels good....one of my rifles doesn't fit into a gunboot so it gets shouldered on the snow machine.....i normally dont wear a helmet...but i think there is a permanent dent in the back of my skull from it rubberbanding off a branch and into my cranium...those mark IIIs are nice
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I could slide you into a S&W Model 17 for $599.00 about 1/2 of new price. It has 8 3/8" Barrel.

I've got one of the Browning .22 pistols. I have abused that thing something awful, and it has never let me down. Very dependable, more accurate than me, and plenty packable and affordable.

I second the Buckmark. I liked it lots better than my Ruger. Much better trigger and very accurate.

Default I'd suggest the Ruger convertable

22lr/22mag ,using a chest pack.
    Mine has served me very well through the years ,and being a wheel gun extreemly versatle.
    Because I lived in the desert for a while I always chambered the first two rounds of snake shot, which came in handy a lot.If you have the moment , it is always easy to rotate the cytlinder to regular ammo ,or pop the pin and swap cylinder preloaded with mags.
    I have the semi auto as well but I like the advantage of versatility over the clip. If you are making your shots count and don't rely on peppering the target area, to get it , the convertable is my choice.

Default Buck mark then

Ya the trigger is a big deal to me, if I can get a lighter pull on a NIB buck mark Ill go with that. I know there durable, one of my buddies has one that he has trashed. Its taped togather but still shoots strait and cycles well.

Quote Originally Posted by Illie View Post
    Ya the trigger is a big deal to me, if I can get a lighter pull on a NIB buck mark Ill go with that. I know there durable, one of my buddies has one that he has trashed. Its taped togather but still shoots strait and cycles well.

S&W Target Master has a perfect trigger........