Thread: What 9.3 bullet?

Default What 9.3 bullet?

Hi folks - I'd like some opinions on what bullet would be your choice for hunting moose and walking through bear country in a 9.3x62? I get great accuracy with the Speer Hot Cor in 270 grain (under an inch) at around 2,450ft/sec and a little over an inch with the Nosler 250 grain Accubond at 2,500 ft/sec. I haven't tried any other bullets in this as of yet such as 286 grain partition, Barnes, Swift, etc.

Default 9.3 bullet

combined with reloader 15 my cz 9.3 carbine becomes a target rifle with the 270 speer. another good bullet to try is the privi partizan 286 grain, again with rel 15. i'm not sure you need the big dollar bullets here in alaska as nothing takes the place of proper shot placement at acceptable ranges. excellent article on the subject in rifle/handloader magazines by an african writer with much experience at culling buffalo....he liked the 308 in a semi auto rifle and the 9.3 with a norma ornx (sic) bullet...a good read.

Thumbs up 9.3 bullet

I have used several weights and names, but for both of my 9.3's, I've settled on the 286 Nosler Partition - it's performance is amazing from pronghorns to whitetails to caribou to moose to bears. It just kills the snot out of stuff.

I would definately go with the 286gr Nosler partition. As stated above it is an excellent bullet. I woudn't shoot anything too large with the 270gr speer. IT is a very accurate bullet but not nearly as tough as the nosler or woodlieghs. I shot a spike fork moose in the neck with a 270gr speer at 15 yards and didn't get an exit. WHen I opened up the neck I found that the bullet had come completely apart. Since I wasn't looking to limit pelt damage on a moose bullet I won't be using the speer for big game again.

The Lapua Mega if you are financially challenged, the Lapua Naturalis oif you are not

I don't hunt Bear nor have I killed anything with my 93 yet(new rig). But upon sighting it in on a dead tree, my 202/293gr RWS UNI combo sure did make a mess

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    The Lapua Mega if you are financially challenged, the Lapua Naturalis oif you are not

I agree.. Mega is a fine bullet at 9.3x62 velocity. I've used them in several calibers and they are less money than most. The Partitions are good also or the bonded Kodiaks but the 9.3 doesn't need the tougher Barnes or A-frames.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    Hi folks - I'd like some opinions on what bullet would be your choice for hunting moose and walking through bear country in a 9.3x62? I get great accuracy with the Speer Hot Cor in 270 grain (under an inch) at around 2,450ft/sec and a little over an inch with the Nosler 250 grain Accubond at 2,500 ft/sec. I haven't tried any other bullets in this as of yet such as 286 grain partition, Barnes, Swift, etc.
    this is an excellent thread! thanks for starting this thread. I like to see that forum members are actually using the 9.3. I too have a 9.3 CZ carbine and I have two boxes of the old barnes x bullets. (286 grain). Don't really care for barnes bullets but will be giving em a try this season.

What I like about the 9.3 also is the shootability of it. I suffered an injury that limits me to rifles that aren't as punishing in the recoil dept. I hesitated about a year mulling over if the 9.3 would work for me, finally took the plunge and have really enjoyed it. Loaded at max she's a bit stout but still manageable. 30 rounds at one range session and I can still talk! or type! Bullet/powder combination just doesn't seem to be finicky at all. Any one out there have any pics from the field with their 9.3?

No field pic as yet as it's new. But my son seems to love my 93

Comparison pic with a 338WM HE. The HE is a fine solid rifle but, that 202 puts everything into perspective. It's all class!

18.5" barrel & a joy to shoot. A big BOOOOOOOOM rather than a sharp crack. It's not bad at all on the ears.
    Taken it out twice so far. A joy to carry 'all day up steep mountains'! And certainly one of my finer rifle purchases.

nice set up there it look great with the short barrel and all weather stock