Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing halibut found ?

Exclamation Missing halibut found ?

htpp://alaskacafe.blogspot.com/

htpp://tholepin.blogspot.com/

This obviously is an issue that both longliners, charter operators, and recreational sportfishermen can unite on. Plenty of halibut in the ocean for all responsible user groups. 100 million pounds of unreported waste should call for a very thorough investigation of what exactly is really going on. I have a feeling it would be shocking.

Kinda makes you wonder how many Kings were caught and under reported as well.
    And more importantly where those Kings were from?

It's an absolute mess. Many of us have long suspected that the trawl fleet was responsible for low king salmon abundance and declining halibut stocks.

How many years will longliners/charterfishermen/recreational fishermen have to suffer through poor fishing and limit cuts because of the trawl fishery?

Default "live in harmony"

I have been told many times that the commercial guys are well regulated and "live in harmony" with the fishery.

Perhaps someone lied?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I have been told many times that the commercial guys are well regulated and "live in harmony" with the fishery.

Perhaps someone lied?
    This is all about the trawl fleet. Let us not drag other commercial fishermen into this.

Default over the top ?????

O.K I read the blog and typical of blogs it was one person told another person and all of a sudden this becomes fact and then is posted on this forum with everyone getting excited. Where are the real data on this? Where is the ADF&G on this issue? Is everyone so jaded that any blog with I was told by a processor comments a valid source?

I do not know if this is true or not but God help us if we rely on blogs as fact.

Default Facts

nobody called it documented facts and you will note I premised my original post with ???

News is news and that letter WAS sent to Commisioner Denby. Now people know of it and may learn something they did not know before. Its food for thought and discussion.
    We are not all as on top of it as Nerk lighten up watch where it goes

Welcome to 2010. (grin) Blogs often break news before the msm. I personally already emailed Denby Lloyd to see if he will issue a statement on this.

If Steven Hare did say what it is being reported that he did say, then things will get interesting. Either way, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes.

I'll email a link of this to Steven Hare. Maybe he'll register on here and set the record straight.

The web address I found for Hare is: http://www.iphc.washington.edu/staff/hare/hare.htm

Default follow up is fine

I was commenting on some of the posts about this not the first post. Tvfink carried it to all commercial fisherman and was corrected. But others went on about king salmon which had nothing to do with the topic. Still others took this as fact.

I do not mind following up and posting the factual information. While blogs serve a purpose they have no journalistic standards to follow. Therefore, even if they are correct some of the time I find them less than useful except to highlight an issue.

But bact to the subject. Yesterday a charter boat operator who is a friend of mine was making duplicates of his log book to send in to NMFS. He got his email with his records from the State, that was sent to NMFS, for the permit program. He compared them and half of his trips were not recorded. I listened to his call to some lady at the federal agency and she reported they are having this problem more frequently than they anticipated. She advised him to send his original log book with the pink sheets (making copies for his records) to her via certified mail. They will compare them to what the State provided and get back to him.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and whether the harvest is reported correctly if half the trips are missing. We did not get into that because he was focused on the trip days for the permit system.

Nerka,

It seems that the comment was made last week. Got blogged about on Saturday. We are talking about it on Sunday. We'll see if ADN or another news outlet runs with it next week. The internet sure changed the way information is passed on. One thing interesting I read on that blog is that Parnell is going to run for reelection with "minimizing bycatch" as a platform. That could be interesting.

It seems they really didn't start checking logbooks until the last few years. In 04-05 I never got any feedback on my logbook pages, and I know I missed filling in a few things because I fished so many days those years. In 08-09 they would call us on the phone for any little reason, within a week of turning in the pages.
    Last edited by 270ti; 02-07-2010 at 13:47. Reason: My time line was off

Steven Hare responded to my email. (I took out my personal info)

Hello Mr. xxxxx,
    I just wanted to send you an email now acknowledging receipt of your email. I will provide a fuller response tomorrow, but I do not anticipate registering or visiting the blog you referenced. As I want to sit down and enjoy the Super Bowl, I will say only this for now:

The "report" that I said "100 million pounds of halibut bycatch was unreported for the last 4 years by the trawl fleet" is 100% categorically FALSE. I said no such thing and I believe no such thing. My guess is that someone has taken various bits of mis-information, misunderstanding and Annual Meeting soundbites and constructed some statement and claimed I said this. I did not.

Sincerely,
    Steven Hare

Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 11:58 AM
    To: Steven Hare
    Subject: Blog Reports about Halibut bycatch

Dear Mr Hare,

It is being reported on several blogs that you said that 100 million pounds of halibut bycatch was unreported for the last 4 years by the trawl fleet. Is this true? It is currently being discussed on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. You might need to register to see the thread. If you have a statement, you can either post there or email me and I'll post it for you. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...986#post665986

Default Misreported or, whatever, IT'S BAD

All I can say after a lifetime of Comm Fishing with lots of friends who are Trawlers as well as many experiences with results of fishing close to them is:

If more people knew what Trawlers, Draggers are doing out there with bycatch and wasteful targeting strategies,

YOU WOULD ABSOLUTELY FREAK OUT

But they do have a lot of money and influence ......... and so we tolerate

There is a thread on here somewhere with a link to a youtube video of the waste that goes on on trawlers/draggers. It was pretty bad. I am sure if you did a search, it would pop up again.

I think this is the one you are looking for.

http://tholepin.blogspot.com/2009/10...but-waste.html

Default Thanks for the video of Halibut Waste

Thanks for sharing link to that, As bad as that is, it gets a LOT worse. Have personal reliable friends tell me of "Shoveling over 20,000 pounds of Pacific Cod in a two day trip" Some have told of similar numbers in as few as two several hour tows of the net!! "Whoops, sure glad the observer was inside seasick as a dog that time."

Don't fall for the observer coverage MYTH either, just mention 24 hour cameras mounted on deck and monitored by NMFS to a Dragger and watch their reaction to that option !!!!!!!!!!!

In my area, it's usually the high school kids with loose lips that spill the beans about what really goes on out there while crewing on commercial fishing boats during the summers.. We can only hope they are exaggerating.

Thanks for posting this, but it was brought to the NPFMC's attention several months ago, I believe.

The key question is: does the observer program and subsequent estimates of halibut bycatch mortality adequately cover the fleet(s) to incorporate hauls like this? I don't know. Halibut mortality via trawl bycatch is estimated and accounted for...whether it's accurage or not is another question. However, going by one (egregious) video doesn't really get to the bottom of things...there are lots of videos of cleaner fishing out there, too.
    Art.

My own experience. I crewed on a dragger once for 6 weeks. 12 years ago. Western gulf area, targeting P.cod. We made the exact same tow back and forth, day after day, all by ourselves away from the rest of the fleet. Bycatch was very little. About 50 pingpong paddles a day, but also 6 to 8 small king salmon a day. One day we went out to where the rest of the fleet was working and tried it. One tow and about 1000# small halibut, so everyone else was probably doing the same. Every boat fishes different and I think kodiakrain is right, though I don't know many guys that work on trawlers. It's the biggest issue we need to work on IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast