Thread: Bunk Glide Ons

Default Bunk Glide Ons

Thinking about adding these to my trailer for easier launching - anyone have anything positive or negative to say about these?

I have a 26 ft. Kingfisher - no problem launching, but boat does seem to stick a bit - perhaps putting these just on the front bunk boards would make it easier. Also interested in making it easier to crank the last 6" or so when putting the boat on the trailer.

Do you have a picture or link to a web site that'll show the product you're talking about?

They attach to the trailer bunk boards to minimize friction when releasing / retrieving the boat.

See http://www.tiedown.com/abunks.html

There are other brands as well. Most marine / trailer outfits carry something simliar, including Cabelas and West Marine.

They worked good for me on my 14' jet skiff trailer. It really helped crank the boat on when I couldn't get the trailer all the way down in the water. Make sure your tied down tight though because the boat will want to slide off while bouncing down the road.

If you decide to not get them and want to make your boat slide more easily, try spraying the bunks with silicon spray. You can either pay lots of money at West Marine (liquid rollers is the name), or just go to someplace like Wal-Mart I think. Worth a try maybe.

Thanks for the info - I'll give the spray option a try first. I may end up installing the slides on the front bunk boards only. We'll see how it goes.

With your kingfisher, you may consider a bow roller mounted between the trailer main beams so it sits just a bit off your bow. I added one last fall on a recommendation from another Kingfisher owner and it improved the entire process.

Default slide-ons

I installed those on my 22' searunner 2 years ago and it makes loading so much easier. No messing with spraying bunks any more. Just don't release the winch until you get to the water, they do slide easy, When you get on top of the ramp you can even crank up the last coupele of inches if needed. Just get them and be done with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I have installed a roller under the boat, about 7 feet from the bow, to stop the anchor bracket on the bow from dropping onto the trailer winch - this has worked absolutely perfect.

It does seem that I still have to put my back truck tires in about 2" of water to push the boat off the trailer. I think the bunk glides would eliminate my tires from touching the water altogether.

Another option is to simply install the glides on half the bunk boards and then see how she handles. Just looking for ways to make the loading / unloading process go a little more smooth.

Love the Kingfisher boat - handles extremely well, efficient, trailers well, and comforts of home on board. Still in the "shake-down" mode - only about 100 hours so far.

Kodiak Hunter, you might consider setting up your profile so you can receive PM's. I was going to send you one, which is how I found out I couldn't. I'm in Kodiak with a Kingfisher too.....w/an Evinrude 250 Etec. I was gonna see if I knew you and compare some notes. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Mike

New members can't PM until they hit a certain post count or time in grade or they can contact one of the Mods to have their account opened up manually. It is a new anti-spam measure that was put in place last month.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Not sure how keeping new members from receiving PMs keeps SPAM down. Restricting newbees from sending PM's would seem reasonable, but ok. Thanks for the info Joat. I had missed that change.

Guess I'll have to wait for him to "come of age" before I can send him a PM. Guess the other alternative would be to post a visitor message in his profile page that other's will see, but that's not really appropriate for a "hey, are you....." message.

Mike