Thread: Birch Lake

Default Birch Lake

I'm taking a few rookies (fellow grad students at UAF) fishing on Feb 13, and I was hoping for some advice/suggestions on bait, tackle, presentation etc. I've been ice fishing for years in Wisconsin, but this will be my first time in Alaska. We rented one of the DNR shacks, and I'd like to make sure they can get into a fish or two.

- Are the shacks set up in good locations, or will we need to bounce around?
    - What type of species should we target? Numbers are much more important than size.
    - Do folks fish with tip-ups? If so, what do they use for bait?
    - What type of rod action is preferable for interior fishing?

Any advice, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

P.S. - I'm so glad I found this forum. I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for a fishing buddy because sadly none of my friends fish, and one gentleman suggested I check out this site. Thanks "C." I'm looking forward to learning from you all, and I hope I can contribute too.

alright go get yourself some little trout hooks and some of the little shrimp from the store and you will cach stockers all day but if you want anything bigger you will prob have to leave your shack get in some deeper water and try using spoon or jigs i have caught some fair size fish in there but it was always in deep water

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    alright go get yourself some little trout hooks and some of the little shrimp from the store and you will cach stockers all day but if you want anything bigger you will prob have to leave your shack get in some deeper water and try using spoon or jigs i have caught some fair size fish in there but it was always in deep water
    I believe our shack is in 12 FOW. I'm hoping we get a few roving bigger fish.
    How big are the stockers? 12 - 16 inches?

Default stockers

Stockers are more in the range of 6-10 inches. Deeper water will get you larger fish. Fish and game has contour maps to help you find these areas without drilling 500 holes , there is also a road accesible fishing guide available there with decent info in it. There is the quartz lake derby a good way to observe how others do it .

Rough going on Birch today. Fished from 8-5:30. Caught 3 bows: 2 3 inchers and 1 10 incher. Used shrimp, corn, and worms on a variety of jigs, spoons, and hooks. Nothing happening.