Thread: 220's in the 30-06

Default 220's in the 30-06

Going to try loading the 220's Noslers in my Remington 30-06 doubles to see how they shoot.
    Anyone have any recommendations for powders? What velocities are you getting? Barrels are 23.5 inches long.
    Thanks.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Going to try loading the 220's Noslers in my Remington 30-06 doubles to see how they shoot.
    Anyone have any recommendations for powders? What velocities are you getting? Barrels are 23.5 inches long.
    Thanks.

It's been like 20 yrs since I loaded 220gr in the '06, but at the time I was using H4831. Probably still a good powder for that weight bullet. (or IMR4350, IMR4831, H4350, etc) I didn't have a chrono then, but I'd guess the velocity was maybe 2300 or so. My '06 likes RL22, but I haven't tried it with 220gr yet...that one might be good too.

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Maybe it proves Marshall and I are "of a generation," but my experiences reflect his almost to the letter.

One thing worth suggesting. I just checked Midway and they don't have them, but see if you can locate a source of Remington Corelokt 220's. We found them to be superb performers at 06 velocities. Didn't find any woolly mammoths to shoot, but on everything else they penetrated as well as the Noslers and appeared to give a little more expansion. Effects on game were decidedly quicker, and they were a bunch cheaper to shoot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and propose that Hornady 220's were right up there with the Remingtons. We didn't shoot as much game with them so I'll stop just shy of full endorsement, but they performed extremely well in our limited use, too.

For the guy with a one in ten twist.3006 chambered barrel I would order some 240 grain Woodleigh bullets and try them, but the 180 grains have done everything I ever asked them to do. I stay with 4350 powder but have burned many pounds of 4831.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

What you guys getting for velocity with those 220-grainers in your 30-06?

My velocities were most certainly "anomalous" in the face of loadings popular today. The rifle I used most for them had an 18" barrel and I was loading them to a chronoed 2300 fps. Coulda gone a little higher, but that was plenty stiff in a light, peep sighted rifle. In fact, I might say "Ouch." The book sezz you can get 2500 or so out of longer barrels, but I'd want to do that with a rifle that weighed over 7 pounds instead of one weighing just under 6 pounds.

I was also launching them right at 2000 fps with another load using faster powder in the same rifle, duplicating what I was getting (and very happy with) out of a 30-40 Krag. Still have the Krag, but the little 06 has been gone a good 30 years. Still don't mourn its passing however, handy as it was to pack.

My first bolt rifle was a Win 54 carbine in 30-06 which digested 200s and 220s like a champ, to the detriment of my brain 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    My first bolt rifle was a Win 54 carbine in 30-06 which digested 200s and 220s like a champ, to the detriment of my brain 30 years later.
    In light of this new information your posts are beginning to make more sense!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I resemble that remark!