Thread: A Story about Hunting Alaska written 1891

Default A Story about Hunting Alaska written 1891

I ran across this written account of one mans travel trough Alaska Circa 1890. I found it an amazing read. Many of his accounts still ring true in modern times. Worth the read.
    I would be curious to hear your thoughts about the authors comments.
    The title is Bear Hunting the White Mountains.

The book is public domain.
    http://www.archive.org/stream/bearhu...e/n16/mode/1up

Steve

Default Thanks for sharing

That was a cool Thread amazing indeed.

I was fascinated by his account of the game densities along the Yukon river corridor, the effect alcohol and firearms had on the native peoples. He also describes a Point Hope type event!!!!

It would seem that many of his fears have come to true.
    Last edited by stid2677; 02-06-2010 at 22:15.

Good read of my old stomping grounds. I do believe during that time frame it was the Tlingit selling the Hooch which is a Tlinkit word now known around the world. Many have never realy heard of the Chilkat (Dawson)trail which was about as busy as the Chilkoot but no Jack London.

Thumbs up

...I really enjoyed reading this!
    (well, I haven't read all of it yet)...

-we are always looking for old accounts and literature from early Alaska-
    -just fascinating...-

thanks for posting this Steve-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default Interesting Book

That was a cool find Steve - thanks for sharing. When you referred to the caribou kill off at the Point it reminds me of a book I have called Cold Summer Wind II. It is about a modern day chap that canoe'd all over northern Canada and AK. In the final pages it talks of trading posts and interesting people that were encountered along the travels. One story tells of a trading post that was run by whites - many winters the local Eskimo's would kill caribou by the hundreds when they came thru and left them - at the most they would claim some hind quarters for dog food. Then in harsh winters these same indians would come to this guy starving to death because they had not prepared and ended up eating caribou he had preserverd. This guy said at times there would be miles of river banks covered with dead caribou that were shot just for fun. The way it was described they did not care much for the taste of bou meat? That was something I really did not expect to read about these wilderness peoples...
    Randy

an amazing story of earlier times, little known or interested by the general public, I love the real accounts of the past, not some over adjusted accounting of what really happened back then......very much like the story of the french/russian man who collected all of the masks while they were all being destroyed. 100 years later they are preserved and intact........Thats a story in its self which I think you all know more about than I.....