Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD's you need!

Default PFD's you need!

Guys check out the deals on inflateable PFD's. these things rock and are super comfortable. Now there is no reason not to wear one.
    http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...439&id=1383608

That's a great deal.
    I wear an inflatable myself, very comfortable and you don't even know you have it on.

Default But the real question Dave...

Did you find a PFD that had a pocket for a one pound block of cheese
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am not trying to sell anything! I am not connected with them in any way shape or form. I would just like everyone to have one when they are out on the ocean or fishing a river where a fall in would be bad. I dont wear one when fishing knee deep rivers but i do Halibut fishing as well as wading the lower Kenai when it moving like last year. I swim like a fish, scuba dive and snorkle a lot. Its also great for hunting when on a river or duck hunting. this never gets in the way and its comforting to know i have it on. I would like you guys to be around for a while as i have a ton more questons for you LOL

Thumbs up thanks

just bought one for myself and another for my buddy. thanks for the heads up! Very good price, no reason not to have one.

Has anyone ever had their hands on one of those automatic inflating ones? I've thought about such a setup for packrafting, as I want something packable and lightweight. If anyone has actually tried one out, what is the weight of one of those?

Default Only On issue

They can not help you when you knock your-self out. Limited applications IMO. Still Smoken Price but it will not save your life if you can not get it inflated. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    They can not help you when you knock your-self out. Limited applications IMO. Still Smoken Price but it will not save your life if you can not get it inflated. Just saying.
    They inflate automatically, Blue. If you're knocked out, they should still work.

The self inflates work very well. The only draw back is they can inflate when not needed at times. its rare but it does happen. you can also auto inflate them if needed. Acording to something i read from the coast guard it is very rare that some one would get knocked out before entering the water. That said it does happen. My point is most people wont wear a PFD because of the bulk. Any PFD is better than none at all. I have personaly seen two people drown in my life and there was nothing to do to help them. One i was in 1969 and i was 10 and he was 100yrds away and the other got swept down a river like the Kenai when we were smelting. Not a good thing to see. Both would have been saved with one of these. I just hate to see anyone die because they did not have one on. If i knew when i was going to get in a situation where i needed one thats the only time i would wear one. since i dont i try and wear one any time i think i may possibly need one. Big, cold or fast water and its on.

Smokin' deal. Thanks for posting.... picked up 4.

Two for me and two for a buddy.

Feel better now with a full complement of 6 inflatable PFD's on my boat.

My two youngest have been wearing bulky youth life vests. They are growing so fast that they'll need full sized ones soon. These are the perfect answer!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

In addition to packrafting, I've been giving more and more thought to wearing an inflatable vest while longlining. Bulk doesn't work when working a boat, but something like this might be the ticket.

Default Might still need the auto....

You don't have to be knocked out to need the auto inflate. Won't tell the whole story here, but when I went into the ocean it was such a shock to realize I was in and so freakin cold, it never crossed my mind to pull the manual inflate cord on the one I have now...I did manage to get back in the boat then back in the kayak that flipped, and make it to shore...

So, thanks for the tip, I now have 2 auto/manual inflatibles if it happens again, and I'll use them in rivers too since they are so comfortable to wear.

Default Um Now I have read thanks

Interesting auto inflate. I can I'm just old school and stuck in 1990 :-) Will have to test one in warm water. :-)

Default shiipping

Has anyone is Alaska ordered from this site? The inflatable vests show that they ship by ground only, and they don't ship to Alaska or Hawaii. Any input?

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

They ship surface only due to the compressed gas cylinders.

I have some friends who ordered from them and they said you can choose USPS for shipping as well as UPS.

Try going through the checkout process and see what happens.

Default shipping

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    They ship surface only due to the compressed gas cylinders.

I have some friends who ordered from them and they said you can choose USPS for shipping as well as UPS.

Try going through the checkout process and see what happens.
    I figured the CO2 cartridge was the problem for shipping to alaska, I wonder if they can ship without it, then just pick one up once it gets here.
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Defender and they informed me that they will not ship to Alaska, and that they are in the process of cancelling about 150 orders from over the weekend that went through over their website. The lady working there told me that it was due to the CO2 cartridges, and that they are unable to remove them prior to shipping. I still bought 3 of the H/H CAT II Deluxe PFD's, but elected to have them shipped to my dad's house in California and I'll just pick them up when I'm down there in April. Shipping cost to most any address in the lower 48 is $11-12. Just thought I'd pass this info along for anybody that really wants these! It'd suck to think you had your hands on them only to find out later that your order got cancelled.

Also, on a side-note, if you plan on using these on the ocean or any body of water with a moving current, you need to be buying a USCG CAT II PFD at a minimum. CAT III's are referred to as "flotation aids", and are only intended for calm waters where a rescue would be quickly accomplished.

A co-worker accidently activated his inflatable pfd while we were fishing together. I was somewhat underwelmed at how long it takes to inflate. They may be more comfortable to fish in, but after seeing one in action, I won't be getting any for myself or my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A co-worker accidently activated his inflatable pfd while we were fishing together. I was somewhat underwelmed at how long it takes to inflate. They may be more comfortable to fish in, but after seeing one in action, I won't be getting any for myself or my family.
    His may have been loaded improperly or lost pressure over time. I have personally witnessed one go off and it was instantly inflated, similar to a baloon on a helium tank. The nice thing about these H/H's is that they have a service indicator on the front that shows green for good air pressure and red for bad. This feature makes me comfortable knowing that it will be ready if the need should arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Defender and they informed me that they will not ship to Alaska, and that they are in the process of cancelling about 150 orders from over the weekend that went through over their website. The lady working there told me that it was due to the CO2 cartridges, and that they are unable to remove them prior to shipping. I still bought 3 of the H/H CAT II Deluxe PFD's, but elected to have them shipped to my dad's house in California and I'll just pick them up when I'm down there in April. Shipping cost to most any address in the lower 48 is $11-12. Just thought I'd pass this info along for anybody that really wants these! It'd suck to think you had your hands on them only to find out later that your order got cancelled.

Also, on a side-note, if you plan on using these on the ocean or any body of water with a moving current, you need to be buying a USCG CAT II PFD at a minimum. CAT III's are referred to as "flotation aids", and are only intended for calm waters where a rescue would be quickly accomplished.
    I got them to ship mine to the barge line in Seattle, but it will cost about another $30 to ship it that way to Ketchikan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast