Thread: ranger vs. arctic cat

Default ranger vs. arctic cat

any thoughts/opinions? I have used a 6x6 ranger (both the 500 and 700) for the last 7 years. Just wondering how these might stack up to the AC side by side. While I do like the Ranger i'm just wondering if there is a better product out there?

depends on your uses for it,,

I like to use my SS (rzr) for fun as well as hunting, and getting into and out of tight spots.. the RngR is a too large a vehicle for my needs, but it all depends on the places your travelling, the speed you wanna get there, and what you wanna take with you.

I'll check out the ac

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

my uses are strictly utilitarian. Mainly hunting and fishing transport as well as chores around the property. I've had a little experience in a Rhino as well and that doesn't seem to compare to the prowler or ranger. Any thoughts on what to look for if trying to pick up a used rig?

We looked at all the UTV's when shopping for one this fall. Eagle River Polaris sell both AC and Polaris. The owner drives a Ranger, so that told me something. I/we looked long and hard at the 2010 Ranger 6X6 when my wife wanted a new machine. That thing is a beast. Just a wee bit big for her. Only reason we decided on the Ranger XP LE was the turn radius, maneuverability and trailering it was easier. We have been impressed to say the least with its performance. All though we will get some better tires this spring for it. She added the hardtop, real windshield, extra battery, and front hitch receiver with a 3500 lb removable winch to use in the front or back. We love the warm seat!!!
    Last edited by chico99645; 02-06-2010 at 18:09. Reason: Added a word.

Default Ranger 6X6 no questions

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post
    any thoughts/opinions? I have used a 6x6 ranger (both the 500 and 700) for the last 7 years. Just wondering how these might stack up to the AC side by side. While I do like the Ranger i'm just wondering if there is a better product out there?

IMO you cannot even compare the Ranger 6X6 to any other side by side its just not fair. The 2010 Ranger 6X6 is a HUGE difference over the 6X6's that you have used over the last 7 years. Just to list a few things; 6 wheel independent suspension, and 12" stock ground clearance bumper to bumper.

As mentioned the length can be a problem. You'll need at least a 12ft trailer and the 2010 6X6 weighs 1551 lbs dry so most aluminum single axle trailers would be maxed out.

The turning radius on the 6X6 is not bad IMO. Nothing a 3 point turn can't handle, but for some it might be an issue. Many people think because of it's overall length that it will have problems high centering, but I want to point out that when you go look at the Ranger 4X4 and the 6X6 you'll notice that the wheelbase is the same from front tires to the center tires of the 6X6 as the wheelbase on the 4X4.

So, IMO and I own a 2010 6X6, if 4 wheels is good, 6 is better.

Now, Prowler vs. Ranger. IMO you can look at the spec sheets on a Prowler and Ranger and see that the Ranger beats the Prowler in almost every category. The Ranger is generally bigger and can haul more gear and passengers. Also, I'm a fan of the Polaris AWD system over a diff lock system, but that is for another discussion on another thread.

So, if you're going to compare side by sides I suggest you compare the Prowler to the Ranger 4X4. It's just not fair comparing the 6X6 to a 4X4.

Good points guys. I haven't been in a Ranger 4x4 just the 6x6. As I said I have been impressed with the 6x6 but do have a school of thought that adding the extra wheels,axle,etc. is also asking for more potential problems down the line. My experience with the AC has been basically parking lot scenarios. Might we have some discussion on the differential lock versus the AWD?

Default comparison

I've been on trips with guys who have the 6x6 and the arctic cat Prowler. I had considered buying either a prowler or a rhino prior to these trips. The Prowler was a POS in my opinion, broke CV's, got stuck more often, dynamited the tranny, etcc... I like most AC products but I will never buy a Prowler.
    The 6x6 rocks, wish I could afford one. In the meantime I'll just keep on riding my 2000 Suzuki quadrunner with a solid rear axle.... anyone want to trade me a side by side for the suzuki?

1551????? WOW, so it is illegal in some areas of the state! That sux!
    For my family we are to independant, everyone wants their own rig, so I own 5 reglar ole wheelers (1 each, AC,Polaris,Yammi, and 2 Suzuki's)

When I bought my Ranger 4X4 I did alot of research first. The Prowler was in pieces on the show room floor. only held two people. The Rino and RZR were also two seaters. The Ranger had better towing capacity, more seating and could hold more in the bed. I have a family of four so seating is important. I also instaled a rear seat. I use mine for play, hunting, plowing and lots of choirs and wood hauling. I feel the ranger is the best option for this. The new 6x6 is pretty sick. It should be comftorable to ride but will never be able to be as fun as the 4x4 for playing.
    I do recommend that you upgrade tires and maybe a 2" lift to help in the swamps and nasty mud and don't skimp on the winch, get atleast a 4K# or the 4500. My 4K# warn has never let me down, but it was close.

Default Winch

To piggy back on Alaskabliss's comment. You can get the biggest winch in the world and if you don't have the amps to run it then it's worthless. If you get a big winch like 4K or bigger do yourself a favor and get either two atv batteries or one truck battery.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking around today I saw that the ranger is now made (10) in a 400 model. Actually a 450 CC or something. My initial thought is this may be underpowered but would it really be that different than the 500 HO? I reviewed the two and there are obviously differences. Anyone been in the 400? Anyone know if they seat three? The pics are a little hard to tell but it looks like a 2 seater. The main differece is pricing. It looks like I could get a new 400 2010 (MSRP 7900) for around the same price as a used 500 or 800

They have one at Eagle River Polaris, go sit in it and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    To piggy back on Alaskabliss's comment. You can get the biggest winch in the world and if you don't have the amps to run it then it's worthless. If you get a big winch like 4K or bigger do yourself a favor and get either two atv batteries or one truck battery.
    I forgot to mention that I added another battery. You are very right about the batterys. When I plow, one battery last about an hour with all my lights on before the battery light comes on. With two I never have a problem and lots more power with the winch

I just joined but i have been looking at upgrading my 6x6 single for the new 6x6 ranger double wide double long, but I am also afraid of the size. How about the 4x4 ranger and tracks has anyone had any experience with those hunting? Maybe that would give me the same floatation as the extra axle, it would be hard to go back to 4 wheels after having the 6x6 and I agree if it is utility you are after it would be hard to beat the Ranger.

If you add a second battery, I suggest a battery switch. I had one put on my wifes machine when we got it at eagleriver polaris. They installed it on the top of the dash board using a red colored switch so it matches the machine. When we turn it off, we turn the switch off. No pull starter like my other machines so we are little leary of draining the batteries out on the trail and having to worry about a jump. Just a little peace of mind.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    1551????? WOW, so it is illegal in some areas of the state! That sux!
    For my family we are to independant, everyone wants their own rig, so I own 5 reglar ole wheelers (1 each, AC,Polaris,Yammi, and 2 Suzuki's)
    some areas? read the DNR regs. 1500 or less or get a permit
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As the owner of a Prowler and frequent user of a Ranger I have a lot of experience in both rigs. My prowler unfortunately has been in the shop more than its been in my garage. I have about one more trip to the dealer for the same problem and I believe I will qualify to use Alaska's new recreational vehicle lemon law. The rangers have a great reputation for a reason. I'm not a big fan of the Polaris ATV, but I think their rangers are the best all round deal out there.