Thread: Northstar GPS Sonar

Default Northstar GPS Sonar

Anyone have experience with the Northstar line of chartplotters/sonar units? I am looking for a chartplotter for spring....

I will be putting it on a small inflatable, but would like it to be good enough to put it on a larger boat in the future...

They have a 2 year warranty vs. Garmin's 1 year. Prices are a littel lower for same type of resolution.

I haven't heard much about the C-map software packages. Anyone use this software in the sound?

I am a little bit worried about the waterproofness since the unit will be fully exposed all of the time.

Looking to spend up to 1200.00 - but if I can find something for half that then all the better.

http://www.getfeetwet.com/products/S...-3__28751.aspx

I've run one of their larger units, and thought it was pretty good. Fairly intuitive, like Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Northstar line of chartplotters/sonar units? I am looking for a chartplotter for spring....

I will be putting it on a small inflatable, but would like it to be good enough to put it on a larger boat in the future...

They have a 2 year warranty vs. Garmin's 1 year. Prices are a littel lower for same type of resolution.

I haven't heard much about the C-map software packages. Anyone use this software in the sound?

I am a little bit worried about the waterproofness since the unit will be fully exposed all of the time.

Looking to spend up to 1200.00 - but if I can find something for half that then all the better.

http://www.getfeetwet.com/products/S...-3__28751.aspx
    I've got a Northstar 951XD gps/plotter on my bowpicker, had it for quite a few years and it has played flawlessly, C-map charts have all the info i need. The thing i like about it most is the ease of use and it has never let me down. The only thing i would worry about is that NS was bought out by a large company a few years ago so maybe they ain't making the units like they used to??? That unit your looking at sure seems inexpensive i think i paid over $2500 for mine when i bought it but it has been money well spent as far as i am concerned.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692