Thread: Denali Doubles Sled Dog Race - Denali Highway

Default Denali Doubles Sled Dog Race - Denali Highway

The Denali Doubles Sled Dog Race is getting close! The race officials are out looking at the trail today, and the temps are 28 at the lodge right now! Alpine Creek Lodge is the first and last checkpoint on this race! We have rooms available, and we need some more volunteers, so get ahold of us. We will do a forum member discount of $40 per night, and that does include all meals! Duties will be helping check in the mushers as they come and go, help with feeding the mushers and dishes, keep the area lit up with gens and lights, keep the fires going, and overall just have a good time!

Even I get to go out for this, as my wife, son and I are heading in on Wedensday afternoon, and then we are coming out on Thursday morning to attend the mushers luncheon at noon and meeting. The race starts on Thursday evening at 5PM, so I need to be leaving Cantwell via snow machine before they get started down the trail.

Note there will be mushers all the way from Cantwell to Paxson starting Thursday night. We expect them to be out of Alpine by early Friday morning, and coming back through Alpine starting Saturday morning, early. Careful out there and keep an eye out for them.

Here's the latest list of race info and mushers registered: http://www.huskyhomestead.com/Denali...d_Dog_Race.htm

Hope to see you there!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I just got back last night from working Mile 101 checkpoint for the Quest. We had a great crew. Best time I ever had working my butt off lol. I'd love to come work the Denali Double. It would be especially meaningful since it is the first one. But my budget wont allow it. Have fun.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

So, have any stories to tell?

Default Tons of stories!!

The Denali Doubles was a huge success, according to all the mushers and Jeff King. The race was super exciting, and I ended up with about 4 hours of sleep from Thursday morning to Saturday night. The 20 dog teams with 2 mushers was amazing to see! They looked like snakes coming down the trail. Really incredible! We had a barrel of hot water ready for the mushers, served them halibut casserol and king crab, and took care of the drop dogs for the return trip by. The mushers were great to deal with and we really enjoyed watching them take care of the dogs each way. It was incredibly fast going back toward Cantwell on thier final leg. The top mushers were really running around getting water and food ready and hitting the trail quickly. It was very exciting! I'll get some pic's up here soon. One thing for sure next year is we need more volunteers!

More to follow!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Oh I hear you on the no sleep. I got less then 6 hours in 3 days. I've seen Sebastian's picture and those long sleds/lots of dogs looked awesome! Can't wait to see your pictures.