Thread: Bullets and loads for 416 Rem (350gr) for Alaska

Collbran, Colorado/Western Slope

Default Bullets and loads for 416 Rem (350gr) for Alaska

I've got my 416 Rem built this winter and ready to go! I want to work up some 350 gr loads this spring. I have two boxes of Speer MagTips and a box of Barnes TXS. I thought I'd try RL-15 at about 76-78 gr for about 2450 fps, I need to run them across the crony, then head to the range. I want a "mild" load but still OK for anything in North America. Is that a reasonable load to start with...perhaps there's better ones.

Has anyone tried BearTooth 335 or 350 gr gas check lead bullets in the 416 at around 2400 fps?? They could be a great alternative to jacketed or copper bullets...Thanks,

Silver Tip

God is good!!!!!
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

As a side note, do you have any 416 remington brass? I heard that remington quit making it. Let me know if you find any, I have been trying to find some for mine.

I'd be really surprised if Remington quit making 416 REMINGTON brass. Anything's possible, I guess.

Love the 350 MagTip over Re-15.

Dillingham, AK

I've had success with the 350 Mag Tip in my 416 RM, but it is not the most accurate bullet IME. I think this stems from their diameter running .415 (& smaller) instead of .416. I've found this to be true with several lot numbers from Speer. They perform well on game, but I prefer a little heavier bullet. RL 15 works well but I have gotten excellent performance from IMR 4064 with the 350 grain bullets in my rifle.

I can't comment on Remington's production of brass. I bought a supply last year, so I'm set for the foreseeable future and of course H&H brass is available, inexpensive and easy to fireform so it's not an insurmountable issue--though it is inconvenient.

Default 416 loads

I have shot my 416 Rem mags around 2600-3000 times.I had 6 of them at one time.I am now down to 3 .I load the 350 gr mag tip to 2400 fps with 76 grains of reloader 15.I love this load.We shot 150 of them in one day once for fun.