Thread: New Willie Predator

Default New Willie Predator

I bought a new Willie predator yesterday. It has the 5 degree tunnel hull design, T-50 Yamaha with a CMC vertical lift, and V.T.S. Trolling control. I had most of the options put on it, like anchor guard plate, wash down pump, Uni-rail. I didn't put a depth sounder on it, I'm not sure which one works good in the river. I guess my question is for you guys who have Kenai River boats, what depth sounder do you use?
    The wife and I are very excited about this boat and looking forward to spring even more now.

I tried running a finder on the river for a while but gave up on it.All you can tell is the depth of the river.You can't see any fish, the cone on the sonar is so small you are looking at a 6" spot on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    I tried running a finder on the river for a while but gave up on it.All you can tell is the depth of the river.You can't see any fish, the cone on the sonar is so small you are looking at a 6" spot on the bottom.
    I thought that may be happening. That's why I didn't have them put one on. Plus they wanted to put on a $900 unit. I didn't think I would need one that bad. I have a HewesCraft for the ocean so it's not like I will be taking this boat on the salt.

the deepest spot I found on the river was 15'

Congratulations on the new boat. As for the fish finder, I have an older one and still find it useful. I am not an expert, but I think there are different cone widths for the river vs. deeper water. I know when I anchor up in a hole mine returns fish when there are fish in the river. It is also helpful when running to know how close to tapping your prop you are.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Did you get the removable front wind shield?I seen the wind shield at the Puyallup show and it is a killer idea.

Did you get the removable front wind shield?I seen the wind shield at the Puyallup show and it is a killer idea.
    I did see those windshields, That was very cool option. The only place I will be using this boat is on the Kenai. I have a Hewescraft HT that I use on the Salt. So I don't think I need one.

This thread is worthless without PICTURES!!!

I saw a Willie at Lake Louise last summer. It looked very capable, thought out and built very well.

Congrats on your purchase. Tight lines.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    This thread is worthless without PICTURES!!!
    Mike

I have fished many a day on that river that I would have given just about any thing to stop the wind and rain.

if you don't mind, what are they getting for a new boat now?

if you don't mind, what are they getting for a new boat now?
    It was a little over 32k.

I would definitely recommend using a depth finder! You want to know that you are in the channel when back-trolling. You also want peace of mind in knowing that you are in water deep enough for the skeg. I have used a cheap Eagle 300 for years. It is accurate and shows depth even when I'm on plane in my Predator.

Default Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    I would definitely recommend using a depth finder! You want to know that you are in the channel when back-trolling. You also want peace of mind in knowing that you are in water deep enough for the skeg. I have used a cheap Eagle 300 for years. It is accurate and shows depth even when I'm on plane in my Predator.
    I agree with kenaiphisher 100%

My depth finder serves two purposes on my Kenai boat. 1) to let me know the depth while running up river on step 2) to help me stay in the slot while backtrolling

I use a Vexilar flasher that I bought for Ice Fishing, you can get a high speed transducer for the ice fishing unit so you can mount on your boat console as well. The flasher gives me instant readings on the bottom with no delay. No delay! This is priceless while on step.

A third reason to have a depth finder on your kenai boat, is for when your drifting the river for trout or whatever, you can learn the holes and slots as you drift over them.

I was digging through some boxes and I came across a Garmin 160 Blue, I forgot I won it at a wild game fund raiser a few years back. I think I will put it on.
    I think your right, it will help me learn the river faster. I'm ready, winter can end now. LOL

Sonar a good idea on the Kenai, you can learn the river that way going slow but it really pays off during silver season when you find the deep spot of large flat area they are holding in. I always wondered why the boat upstream of me was doing better than I was. I think this is definately one of the reasons.