Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Alaska in August 2010 - looking for advice

Default Coming to Alaska in August 2010 - looking for advice

Here's the deal.

I'm a fishing guide in Pennsylvania, specializing in Shad, Stripers and Smallmouth Bass.

In mid August of 2010, I'm bringing two families to Alaska for two weeks. The first week will be spent touring Denali and making our way down through Seward to Homer. The second week will be spent in the Homer area.

While we're in Homer, we'll hop on a plane for a day to see bears. Also, we'll spend a day or two on one of the Halibut boats - probably Capt. Sean's "Irish", becuase we've got more folks than a 6 pack can take, and because the folks at North Country seem to be good people.

Now, the meat of the question. I'd like to fish for Silvers and since I'll have kids from ages 8 to 12, I don't want to go the guide route (it would be like herding cats!). Can someone fill me in on the basics of fishing for Silvers in the rivers around Homer during August?

I've already researched the Homer Spit Lagoon and understand that it will be a good "fall back position", in case we can't figure out the rivers.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
    Last edited by Big D RiverGuide; 02-06-2010 at 07:18. Reason: missed some stuff

In mid August the silvers will be hot on the Little Su in Wasilla. I go every year and the fishing is GREAT.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2006.htm

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2007.htm

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default Pink year

If you have younger kids the Kenai next year is going to have a Pink run which happens every other year that will be great as its catching fish every other cast if not every cast around mid Aug and that keeps the young ones entertained. The soldotna bridge is a good place for that and if you want to increase your odds at a silver then just plunk eggs in the same area and let them sit. If you are casting spinners then a good color for silvers is a vibrax spinner with a chartruce body and crome blade. Good places on the kenai to fish from the bank are Eagle rock campground, Cunningham park, Centennial park, and the Soldotna bridge are all good spots and within just a few miles from Soldotna. Mid august you will find better luck below the Soldotna bridge.
    Good luck
    Oh yea when you get here and are in Soldotna if you want to know what to use or where to go then the people at Trustworthy hardware are great and very helpful they can point you in the right direction and will have everything you need there.

I second what ysr racer said. The valley streams can be really good for silvers and are accessable from the highway. Sheep, willow, goose, and montana are just a few options as you make your way down from Denali. Sheep has a nice little camp ground that has access to the mouth of the creek where it meets up with the big susitna river. Can be exceptional fishing here. As you make your way through Anchorage, you could try ship creek in town, but I avoid it at all costs during silver season. Just not worthdealing with the people that fih there, lots of rude people. Plus there are better spots as you head south. Make a stop at Bird creek which is about 30 miles south of anchorage and has some great pink and silver fishing. Keep an eye on the tide levels though, these streams are all tidal and a 30+ foot tide can et dicy sometimes. There are a multitude of streams to fish as you head down he highway from here, all tidal and most have runs of silvers and pinks at this time. Once you get down towards Cooper's Landing and the Kenai you are in fishing Mecca. Just ask some locals where the fish are or look for the crowds. Once you get on the Penn try Ninilchik River, Deep Creek, Anchor River as you head south towards Homer. All of these have runs of silvers, but be sure to check regulations and Emergency Orders of streams you plan to fish. They change and are different on every stream or river you plan to fish. Good Luck!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Go Fish the Anchor or Ninilchik. Mid August they will be starting to come in. Last few years Anchor has been weak but you can still manage a limit on eggs. Float them under an slip bobber.
    Be on the river @ 5am to beat the crowds.

Default More info

The info that you folks are giving is great, and I do appreciate it. I'm thinking that 7.5' to 9' spinning rods with 14# PowerPro and a 10lb. flourocarbon leader would work, but the only thing I've caught is some Steelhead so I could be way off.

Please keep the great posts coming!

Col. - what depth are you fishing the eggs below the slip bobber? Right off the bottom or in the column somewhere.

Raptor - We are already planning on watching the Salmon in Anchorage, at Ship Creek. I'm not into combat fishing though so I won't even start fishing till we're in Seward or Soldotna. The house we may rent is in Anchor Point, so that may work out real well!

Tony - thanks for the tip on Trustworthy, it'll be on my "must visit" list

I would go a little heavier with the line selection. I use 30# power pro and 20# leaders. Prolly over kill for silvers, but they can be really scrapy. Sorry to tell you though man, anywhere you fish on the road system here you are going to be combat fishing. Unless you do a float or are willing to put some prints in the mud and hike a ways, you're not going to escape it. Some rivers are worse than others but they are all going to have crowds. Even in Soldotna where you'd think you'd be away from people, it can still be shoulder to shoulder. Not really a bad thing if everyone around you knows what they are doing and willing to work with you. As far as fishing eggs goes you're gonna wanna fish them right off the bottom. Silvers tend to stay under the pinks and pretty close to the bottom.

There is a book that would be useful to you. Scott Haugen's "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska". Forget that it says flyfishing, this book is the bee's knees for tellling you where to go. It has well over 100 maps, clear directions, etc... The Kenai has it's own section of course and there are great sections on the Anchor, Ninilchik, Deep Creek, etc.. as well. The info in that book should give you more than enough info to target silvers on your trip. Good luck.

"herding cats"?

I like that.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default If yur herding cats...or kids

Make sure you have a life jacket on them fishing the banks. There is no water in good ol' PA that comes close to how cold Alaskan rivers and the ocean are! Where the combat fishing occurs, the banks will be slippery and there will be rookies that get so excited they may knock people in the water...and it's hard to swim when yur too cold to breath!

Default More great advice!

The lifejackets are an excellent idea. I'll pack 3 auto inflatable for the kids (CO2 cartridges removed for the flight, of course).

I'm already looking for the book. "The bee's knees" - I like that!

If you want to go the guide route for a day or at least have the extra hands for the kids, Silverfin guides out of Homer. There aren't many that do the roadsystem. Gary is a nice guy, might cost you $250 for 6hrs. The silver thing is pretty easy to pickup, just gotta make sure the kids are patient with the hook set. It is not like a bass when you feel them bite, you let them eat it. The good thing about the lower Kenai Pen rivers is not to many Pinks, unlike the Kenai river itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    The good thing about the lower Kenai Pen rivers is not to many Pinks, unlike the Kenai river itself.
    That's the exact reason why you should fish the kids where the pinks are. Action, action, action. Spend some time on the Kenai and you won't regret it.

Default Stupid Question

Are you guiding two families or coming up to enjoy Alaska with two families?

The reason I ask is it would make a difference on exact locations and what is allowed.
    As an example if your taking them into a state park and your guiding i.e. for money you may have to be permitted for that park. If you end up on BLM land you will be required to permit for that BLM land no matter if your bear viewing or fishing.

If your just bringing familes for the sake of enjoying Alaska then it is a wash.

Don't forget about the pinks in Hope! The kids will have hours and hours of fun catching thousands of pinks. They're so thick you can practically walk accross the water on their backs.

Default Yikes!

I thought I was clear, but guess I wasn't clear enough.

I'm bringing my wife, daughter and another family with me to Alaska. Fishing is just going to be a part of the trip, not the reason for the trip!

Raptor - tell me more about the fishing for Pinks in Hope, sounds like the kids will have a blast as well as wear themselves out. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

Take the Hope road turnoff as you're heading south towards Homer. It will be a few miles up the Turnagain Pass and on your right side if heading south. There'll be signs for it, it'll be hard to miss. Head into town and grab a spot at the river! You will have more pinks than you know what to do with and the kids will have a blast catching them. Not to mention it is absolutely incredible scenery down there that time of year and the wives will enjoy it too. August should be perfect timing. There's so many pinks it's hard for them NOT to catch a fish every 30 seconds! Be sure to hit some of the silver streams mentioned below for some good table fare also! Pinks do not do so well on the dinner plate but are fun to catch.

The drive from Anchorage down to Seward is probably the most beautiful drive in the world. In August the mountains will be emerald green with snow covered peaks.

Don't miss the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center or Portage Glacier. Both are right on the road to Seward.

www.alaskawildlife.org

http://www.alaskatrekker.com/portage.htm
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Good suggestion on the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and the Portage Glacier, both are well worth a day trip.

Default Another alternative

The Home spit lagoon is a great place for kids, especially when the coho are in. Don't overlook it.

If you go, be there at low tide, stake out a spot directly across the lagoon from where the tide comes in (you won't be alone), and wait for the tide to turn. When it does, cast a double hook rig with cut herring or salmon eggs under a float. It's fun just to watch the action.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast