Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Out doors Advisory Council?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Alaska Out doors Advisory Council?

1 is there interest?
    2 is it possible?
    3 would it work?
    4 if so how many members?
    5 would forum members allow other to represent their views?
    6 would popular vote on this forum work? what would the the time frame for decision making?

7 would various members be willing to represent various groups EVEN IF id did not represent that members view?

this is a brewing idea. there are many opinionated members active here. though view points differ, many are the same at heart and interest.

with 5000-10000 active folks ( varies through the year) multiple positions could and prolly WOULD have to be stated and agreed to.

Fairbanks has the BOG in 21 days... any one from here willing to start a working group with me to set several folks ready to testify to important issues? as members of the public, most can not be met in the five minutes of alloted time. 15-20-30-50 folks lined up for 5 min talks can get a lot done?

curious at this moment? my office is open for disscussion... 3rd and steece. ( 331 third st suite a )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I would if I could but I'm pretty much stuck in the boonies.
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    I would if I could but I'm pretty much stuck in the boonies.
    but your here....

would it work here and now in a sub group or forum.. visible to all. no hidden doors or agendas?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It could work I think the biggest thing you group leaders with people skills. If you can't keep people focused it can turn into free for all. Even a mild mannered guy like me has his moments. What exactly are you thinking?
    Chuck

In a way I think it would work for people like me, but in the end I think it would end up being caught up in an argument like the rest of the threads.

Would it be for those that are interested in mang. and posted in that thread? OR only the people that posted in the hunting and fishing thread's? OR all?

But I'm all for it.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Nope

I for one would not like to see AOD become a political site and that is what would happen. I hate politics and the reason I joined this forum was to get away from it. But, it seems there are a few people who want to change this forum. NO! NO! NO!

Hey Hiline, did you ever go to my pics to see where I am in relation to your cabin? I posted a Google pic of your cabin from mine.

I believe thats what Vince was talking about. Keeping it on level that only the people that wanted to talk about the issue's would have acsess.

The rest of the forum would remain the same, and you would'nt even know it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    I for one would not like to see AOD become a political site and that is what would happen. I hate politics and the reason I joined this forum was to get away from it. But, it seems there are a few people who want to change this forum. NO! NO! NO!
    nope not change the forum.. use its voice in a sub forum or a group room that this place as the ability to make. separate of the main forum... any member can view and or participate...

my idea would be to select various folks from each region to stand as the committee?

then during years the BOG was in ANCH.... or FBK.... NOME...
    members of the forum from those communities willing to participate in the BOG meetings would be selected to speak to certain issues.

for instance 150 people speak up about cow hunts... 75 for.... 75 against... Both sides would have their speaker... regardless of the speakers view... you know... LOBBIEST ( sput sput spit hack cough cough.)cant believe i just said that word...
    most the time we all agree on some things. some are not privy to the understanding as they are region specific... BUT. some things affect us all and we all hate it.... like props that ask to have exemptions for diseased meat... ( thank god that one failed this time)

people to speak our voice as a unit we are?

meet on face book here

I don't see why you couldn't have a sub forum or whatever. No one is forcing you to read or respond to every sub forum or thread on this site.

Unless your head is buried in the sand, a lot of the sub forums now boil down to politics or religeous beliefs.

I say I hate politics, but you have to play within the rules. Personally, I would rather just keep to myself and do my thing and let others do their thing. But if others get organized and get laws passed and I don't say anything, it is too late for me. It is much easier to get a law on the books than to get one removed. If you don't stand up for your rights you will lose them.

The more you can bring like minded people together the stonger you will be. Find another similar minded organization with a lobbyist and do a joint deal until you can afford one exclusively. Send a few people every year to some leadership training courses paid by the group or find a business to sponsor them. It can make a world of difference.

if you truely believe in how our system of managing game and fish in this state is run..then by all means!

I am not happy with our system! I will not take part in it!!! I WILL take part in changing it should that opportunity come again!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    if you truely believe in how our system of managing game and fish in this state is run..then by all means!

I am not happy with our system! I will not take part in it!!! I WILL take part in changing it should that opportunity come again!!!!!!
    well isn't that the crux of the entire issue?

have we not over a dozen threads currently with issue of complaint or disdain?

or, is it like was said by that Anchorage AC member, people would rather vent about it on line then actually make an appearance and give solid input.

WHAT would you like changed?

imagine your new friend just dropped and cracked your old bow, and in your stewage of frustrations you decide to explain to him the exact detail and process you need to repair it

here is the biggest difference we have over any other state...

ALASKA IS THE ONLY ONE WITH PUBLIC INPUT... it may not be perfect but it is a start

meet on face book here

I like the idea, I have an opinion on everything, but my public speaking skills make George W Bush sound articulate.

George might notta been articulate....but he could count.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    George might notta been articulate....but he could count.
    Roger that, I hear Obama is still looking for states 50 through 57

Thumbs up

Ballot Box Biology.

I'm IN. We need to have a poll on every matter though, that way we have the numbers that will substantiate our views of just how the resources will be managed. I like it, folks in Mexico and Germany will finally have a say in the silly things/ways we do things up here.

This has been a long time coming, but I am proud that now it is becoming a reality. Gotta love the internet, it will shape our lives in oh so many ways, we can't even imagine.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up Possible

I see the chance of putting a positive voice out there that reflects our general views. Members of this would have to be carefully picked to make sure the right voice gets out into the community. While I agree with many of the stongly opinionated voices on here, I don't think thier voice would be the best one leading point. If it was started, and became extreme right away, we'd lose any politcal power we may gain in making decisions regarding fish and game in our great state.

Members could be voted on by the folks in here, but the final decision of who makes the board should be left with Mike and the admin's on here. Since this is Mike's site, he should make all the calls on even if it was decided to organize, of course.

There is great power in numbers, and we have numbers here for sure!

Just my .02....

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Support a Sportsman's Org - Pick and Choose

Vince, seems what your basically advocating is to form a kind of AOD sportsman's org to collectively weigh in on issues.

Right now there are sportsman's orgs up here in Alaska that vary somewhat in mission and agendas. And depending on one's personal views, some look good and some may not. And right now, really, it's those orgs doing what Vince is suggesting here.

So whether it's AOC or SFW or ABA, or Alaska Backcountry Hunters, find out what those orgs are doing, talk to their chairs, and if you like what you see for the most part, support them with membership. They all do have one thing in common...they support hunting and trapping.

In closing, I'll also say again that no one org, or group, such as one formed here, is gonna be one that every member agrees with 100% of the time. Also, Vince, just a minor correction; Alaska isn't the only state with public input. Far from it.
    Cheers,

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Vince, seems what your basically advocating is to form a kind of AOD sportsman's org to collectively weigh in on issues.

Right now there are sportsman's orgs up here in Alaska that vary somewhat in mission and agendas. And depending on one's personal views, some look good and some may not. And right now, really, it's those orgs doing what Vince is suggesting here.

So whether it's AOC or SFW or ABA, or Alaska Backcountry Hunters, find out what those orgs are doing, talk to their chairs, and if you like what you see for the most part, support them with membership. They all do have one thing in common...they support hunting and trapping.

In closing, I'll also say again that no one org, or group, such as one formed here, is gonna be one that every member agrees with 100% of the time. Also, Vince, just a minor correction; Alaska isn't the only state with public input. Far from it.
    Cheers,
    That's why I say NO! NO! NO!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Cheers,

Support and org, loose your voice and you know it.... how many of the orgs mentioned give their members a chance to vote on a subject of any kind? NONE

how many orgs ask you for financial support and speak for you?
    all of them...

how many of the orgs listed have some political agenda OUT SIDE the management of our fish and game resource...

you know the NRA at least send out member ballots on issues... none of the others do.

and NO Mark.. there is no other state with a process like Alaska in fact you can sit with any of the board members and discuss the issues as they come up in discussion forum, you can testify and submit written props. that was ONE OF the big points at the State wide BOG meeting... THAT Most were not at. Alaska is one of the last with any form of public input and the only one with this process...

support an org LOOSE YOUR VOICE, support that org and have your vote counted to something that MAY NOT sit well with you but ..... YA went along cause the rest of the herd did...

I am asking if there are a group here that want to participate, and could it work... Every ONE agree? LOL

thats too funny NONE of the planning and staging committees, Advisory committees, or state boards agree 100 with each other.. but popular vote is what they have agree will be the deciding factor.

Could a group of people come together discuss the props and elect one or a few people to VOICE a collective opinion to the BOG / BOF in an organized fashion?

and on issues like cow hunts?

wanton waste?

sheep sealing?

non resident hunts?

et c etc etc....

i think you could find a majority of those willing to participate ... and if you don't go read some where else.

heck i might was well join the APHA

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast