Thread: Pssst Powderhounds.

Default Pssst Powderhounds.

With the new snow in Anchorage, and more predicted for the night.......Arctic Valley Ski Area is going to be amazing tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for low winds, and more snow. Rumors are that Chair Two will open!! There is a new Bar there that sells local Anchorage and Alaskan beer too. Just a Friendly FYI!!

more info

http://www.skiarctic.net/

Dude, let's keep that a secret

I'm heading out in the morning for a little lift serviced lazy pow turning.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'd be there, but I agreed to chaperone an elementary school group to Alyeska tomorrow. I get tomorrow free and two more tickets for future use, so it's not a complete loss. Still, I'd rather be at Alpenglow tomorrow.

Girdwood should be good tomorrow, though too crowded for my taste.

I avoid that particular hill like the plague on weekends.

When are you going to catch the white room sniffles and play hookey?

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

When are you going to catch the white room sniffles and play hookey?
    More than one teacher has been fired from ASD for being "sick" at Alyeska. I could take a personal leave day to do it, but those things are like gold and are saved for hunting season.

We didn't end up going today because of the winds. I'm not sure who made the cancellation decision, but I got a call at 6am. My brother is now frantically trying to find his misplaced boots, and if he is successful we will be hitting the backcountry for some ptarmigan and turns.

That means you can take half day turns at arctic valley!! We could use the money! (arctic valley is a non-profit org). Plus you can get beer now! I'm waxing up the skis now, sucking down coffee, and getting cloth layers on!! Stuff some oatmeal down, and it's First Tracks at Arctic Valley!!!

Alas, I'll be in the backcountry. I'd love to hit Arctic some time this winter, but I haven't skied with my brother in a couple years, so when he suggests we go chase birds and make turns together, I jump at the chance.

You guys are killing me! We are having the 2nd lowest snow year on record here in Fairbanks. May have to head your direction over spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You guys are killing me! We are having the 2nd lowest snow year on record here in Fairbanks. May have to head your direction over spring break.
    We've had a pretty dismal year here too, Perry. Thankfully these last two days we've gotten 3-4" per day. That alone has made a huge difference in our snow pack. The snow was surprisingly nice in the backcountry yesterday, though we didn't find any birds.

I thought Arctic Valley wasn't opening this year? That's good news as I prefer to drive to Arctic valley from Eagle River over Girdwood.

But, we did go down to Alyeska yesterday, and the skiing was pretty good. I took my two oldest kids down the North Face, and they did really well. The powder was pretty heavy so we ended up tumpbling quite a few times.

Default Arctic Valley is open.

Hi Paul! I wanted to reply to you sooner, but kept forgetting. Arctic Valley is open and going strong at the moment. Things were touch and go in Novermber, but at an emergency meeting people stepped up and helped keep it open. At a meeting where it looked like Arctic Vallye was closing 120 people showed up. 105 voted to pay $250 each to keep it open. Things are still tight, but look a lot better.
    Chair 2 opened up last weekend. It was awesome. Visibility sucked, but the snow was soft and deep (2 foot easy). I barely hit any rocks. lol.
    We also have a bar now, so not only are we open you can get a good beer after a day of skiing. The bar is called the Afterglow.
    I am thinking this saturday will be amazing. If it snows before then, then without a doubt. Even if not, with the warm weather settling the snowpack, and winds filling in old tracks it will be great. We'll see!!

Arctic Valley is my new weekend hangout. Saturday was really nice. The weather station was in the sun and the first few faceshots were in sunlight. Chair 2 is definately more ski friendly than snowboard friendly. When I left, almost everyone was gut shooting the run and leaving fresh tracks to anyone willing to traverse for 45 seconds. Unbelievable....

Nice folks, nice conditions, good beer on tap.

If we could talk you guys into opening the Preglow by the weather station with a decent IPA on tap, we would be in business

We'll have to try and make it up Sunday. What are their hours? Their webite isn't working for me. Are they going to be open Monday for presidents day?

Thumbs down So lucky...

you guys gettin' all the snow, & we're stuck out here, with solid ice below the wind blown packed snow...(big sigh!)

Good morning!!! Our hours are 10:30 to 5pm. When daylight lets us we may stay open later/open somewhat earlier. We need volunteers though. I know we are short today (sat.), but I'm going up to the mountain soon to pitch in. Looks like it will be a bluebird day, and ther will be some fresh tracks around. We'll see what this weeks weather did to the snow!!
    I doubt we will be open monday. I haven't heard about it anyway. To many people have to work that day. I'll find out today when I'm up!! Stop by and say hi!!

Default Sat, Feb 20

Pssst, good to great conditions exist on the mountain. I drove up last night to look at the mountain. Slight snowfall and winds have left an untracked mountain!!! It was also pretty soft at the parking lot. So if it's sunny and warm today (it's early still)..............well, maybe a fantastic day.
    Chair 2 is PLANNED to open at 1pm or so. Some problems from last week were fixed. That will mean plenty of fresh tracks for everyone even if you want to do a half day.
    C'mon up!! It's your snow, ride it.

Default Well ok conditions.......

Ok, the conditions were not bad. (but not soft and deep either). Carvable sluff with some bumps. The well skied areas were really nice later in the day. Chair 2 didn't run as some electical isssue is messing up a tansisitor (any electricians want a free day of skiing?). The clouds never actually cleared up, but it was warm. All in all it was a great day at the mountain really. Tomorrow will be ok, with hardpacked sluff. I'd say if it warms up again it will be pretty fun again.

Default Well, the conditions in Marshall...

Crappy, with gettin'g crappier by 2mrrw, & even crappier still by Monday...tune in tomorrow for the best & most accurate weather reports...

Seriously...I highly doubt the season will ever start here in Marshall...this has just been on plain crappy season...

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    With the new snow in Anchorage, and more predicted for the night.......Arctic Valley Ski Area is going to be amazing tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for low winds, and more snow. Rumors are that Chair Two will open!! There is a new Bar there that sells local Anchorage and Alaskan beer too. Just a Friendly FYI!!

more info

http://www.skiarctic.net/
    What a great day that was, first tracks once chair two opened was awsome!