Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Tempermant

Default Alaskan Tempermant

So I visited this website called city data.com and went to the Alaska forum for some advice on my move and read over tons of threads of information and noticed a huge trend. The Alaska folks there were not helpful at all, and in fact were rather rude to newbies coming in asking for advice, and asking questions. Thats the whole purpose of the forum lol.

I got bashed simply for being former LEO...according to them all LEO are weight pushing jerks and state troopers are not respected...at least not ones that are young like myself.

I did meet a few nice people, and they are the ones who directed me here. Please tell me all Alaskans are not rude as those folks. I'm trying to find some folks to fit in with to get real information on Alaska before our move.

A lil background on myself.... I love to hunt, fish, shoot guns, and the outdoors. I treat others with respect just as I want to be treated. I'll never attack someone for their beliefs even if I disagree....my mouth will stay shut.

Looking for a friend with something in common with me.
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-06-2010 at 10:02. Reason: politics

You might want to make yourself aware of one of the newer rules on this site

Please refrain from discussions of a political or religious nature. While we respect all views, such discussions are outside the purposes of this website.
    It does seem as tho' you came in with this post doing the very thing you are complaining about, classifying and labeling folks.

Alaskans as a whole, regardless of political affiliation, are an independent lot, more-so the further you get from the urban areas. There are all walks here, and those that do arrive here with too many preconceived notions, or with an over-riding desire to make what this is into what they left, are setting themselves up for a bumpy ride.

That said, the folks on here for the most part are a very helpful bunch. Ask a question, and it will get a response. Good luck with the move.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

opps, my mistake...I'd edit my post if I could. Still I just get a very unfriendly vibe from the folks there. I've met some cool people on here though...just looking for reassurance I reckon

To sum it up as simply as possible... you'll find those "rude" folks in the Anchorage bowl (there are friendly folks in Anchorage also, you just have to be selective). The rest of the state are predominantly decent folks, like those you'll find on this forum.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you get out in the rural areas, you will definitely encounter the anti-LEO and anti-government types and they are from both ends of the political spectrum. It is not a democrat/liberal thing. Alaskans are a very independent breed (especially in the bush) and do not warm to authority whatever the form. If there is one thing that unites bush Alaskans, it is bashing the government or any other form of authority.

There are a lot of gun-shooting, Reagan-loving, conservatives up here. There is also a lot of tree-hugging, Obama bumper-sticker, liberals up here as well. In the lower-48, you can pretty much ignore each other and keep to circles that are similar in your beliefs. Up here, at least in the rural areas, that is not an option. That pot-smoking hippy next door might be the only neighbor around that helps you unfreeze your water pipes after a -60F cold snap, or the only person that drives down the Tok Cut-off for hours on a cold winters night after you put your car into the ditch.

People here (at least in the rural areas) have learned for the most part to put aside their personal religious, political, ideological, sexual orientation beliefs a long time ago in order to coexist together. Those that are real vocal about their beliefs, regardless of what they are, make enemies real quick up here and life that follows is generally a bit rougher than if they had been more neutral and less outspoken.

From my experience, many of the people in Anchorage are great people too. Yes, there are greater odds that you will run into some "difficult" charactors. This is due to the large population here. Politics in urban areas is usually more diverse and heated due to the large difference in demographics. Smaller towns have fewer people and they usually are more "like minded". That said, there are more jobs in Anchorage, so people either commute or live near these rude people.

Mike

I love this thread,

1. I'm a bad ass that you don't want to confront, I hunt griz with a knife.
    2. I hate confertation's of any kind.
    3. In my world you either lead or get out of the ####### way.
    4. If you ask to buy me a cup of coffe and here me grunt, I might accept, a shot might be better.

I'll leave that to the rest of the guy's to fill in.

Really tho welcome I'm sure you'll fit right in. ( after a year or two)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

What a bunch of lier's!!!!

Tell all your neighbors friends family, every one you meet...

ALASKANS SUCK!!! we are the worst, arrogant, mean, spiteful, bad driving, red light running. drinking, swearing, sex with your sister bunch of people in the world!!!! and we cheat at cards! let our dogs sleep on the wifes side of the bed, and make our kids do dishes once a year!

tell every one thinking of moving here... to RUN RUN RUN the OTHER direction!!!...

if you don't all those well wishers will surely be waiting to get a taste of the new guy.... ever see, " THE HILLS HAVE EYES" 1 & 2? or how about WRONG TURN? west Virgina got nuttin on us brutha
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Holy crap - Vince has a TV!!!

5. The sign say No Tress... ::BOOM:: ::BOOM:: ::BOOM::

Mike

P.S. I do not cheat at cards, but I will remember that you might.

Having come from Michigan I can tell you about rude people, most people I've met the last 3 years in Alaska including Anchorage have been really good people and very helpful.
    Paul

Out of curiosity, why do you call yourself trooper kyle if you aren't a trooper?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you call yourself trooper kyle if you aren't a trooper?
    I'm a former one here who left for the gas/oil industry and am getting back into LE to be closer to my family. I'm applied to become an Alaska State Trooper.

Thanks for the replies folks...

Vince- did you really have sex with your sister?
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Smaller towns have fewer people and they usually are more "like minded".
    Dirt- You need to spend some more time at the cabin I once looked at the voter registration records for Talkeetna and there were more registered Republicans than Democrats..yet the Talkeetna precinct votes overwhelmingly Democrat or Green in every election for the last 10 years.

The one nice thing about this place is that when somebody needs a hand people from all walks of life pitch in...regardless of their political leanings. I've worked side by side with far left liberals (I lean a little bit to the right) on many community projects. The one thing we seem to have in common is beer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Vince- did you really have sex with your sister?
    no but i prolly would yours... got all her teeth?

In alaska you don't loose your women .....

just your turn
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Dirt- You need to spend some more time at the cabin I once looked at the voter registration records for Talkeetna and there were more registered Republicans than Democrats..yet the Talkeetna precinct votes overwhelmingly Democrat or Green in every election for the last 10 years.

The one nice thing about this place is that when somebody needs a hand people from all walks of life pitch in...regardless of their political leanings. I've worked side by side with far left liberals (I lean a little bit to the right) on many community projects. The one thing we seem to have in common is beer.
    You are soooo correct on this one! I just found a way to spent most of my summer at the cabin as necessary for my mental stability and sanity.

If you are comparing community values, you might want to put Talkeetna in the same demographic as Girdwood. Voting records tell the real story. RINO - Republican in Name Only.....may apply.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    no but i prolly would yours... got all her teeth?

WHEW! That's a relief. It would be most un-Member of the Year-like behavior. Enough to give a guy voter remorse
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper_Kyle View Post
    So I visited this website called city data.com and went to the Alaska forum for some advice on my move and read over tons of threads of information and noticed a huge trend. The Alaska folks there were not helpful at all, and in fact were rather rude to newbies coming in asking for advice, and asking questions. Thats the whole purpose of the forum lol.

I got bashed simply for being former LEO...according to them all LEO are weight pushing jerks and state troopers are not respected...at least not ones that are young like myself.

I did meet a few nice people, and they are the ones who directed me here. Please tell me all Alaskans are not rude as those folks. I'm trying to find some folks to fit in with to get real information on Alaska before our move.

A lil background on myself.... I love to hunt, fish, shoot guns, and the outdoors. I treat others with respect just as I want to be treated. I'll never attack someone for their beliefs even if I disagree....my mouth will stay shut.

Looking for a friend with something in common with me.

You get what you give man. One thing, what kind of "Alaskans" would be on a forum like City-Data in the first place. Think for a second. You were likely talking to some 15 year old kid in Iowa. Think more before posting generalizations like above. I lived in NW Alaska for two years and spend a good bit of time in Alaska. Some of the best folks I have met live in Alaska. Being from NC, I know good people. Alaska has more than her fair share. Tread lightly on the land, and its people. In doing so, I assure you that you will be happy with your upcoming move. I take it you enjoyed the "Alaska Troopers" tv show. Ha ha...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

first off alaska ia not for everyone as this was told to me by a person who was saleing the land i bought from them ..along with there some areas that you have to prove yourself to the people up here ..along with everyone has a diff type of tempermant when dealing with new people to alaska

second .. i came up here for two things one is a medical reason and two i have family up here so that part of the main reason i came up .plus the cold weather is better for medical condition than hot weather for i will not get as sick as long there the weather stays under 80 dergrees in summer time..where i got the idea to come back up here was looking at a old photo albums of pictures i had taken from diff places in the world ..i came across the one from alaska and that got me to thinking ..in by it self could be trouble ..

third .. like everywhere in the country of our you have people good and bad and how they treat outsides in the area.. so welcome you with open arms and other stand off at time and wait to see what typle of person you are..

fourth ... my girlfriend up there was born in alaska and raised there and she tough as nails if she need to be and also a lady also she got her ways about her and she tells me i still have my lower 48 ways of thinking at times ..but she was raised diff from most people and she tells you alaska shapes you in diff ways that people can not understand inless they are born here and raised here ..she also hunts and fish with her dad and mom and cleans and baits here own hook ..as mom as me in email when iam comeing home for she tried of cooking for her .. . ..we had a talk me fishing but i do not like to fish so the jury still out on that one if where going fishing or not .i go but i sit on the banks and keep a eye out for bears and read my book and drink tea .

n5 .. it cost a little more to live up here for everything is barge or bought in by plane ..houseing is littlle more that you may be used to ...cost of food is a little more than down in the lower 48 ..so think about that ..

Default Info on Living in Alaska

Well Trooper Kyle, I have been here since the summer of '91. I'm still considered a "Cheechako" ( Tenderfoot, greenhorn, newbie, etc. ) by some. However, I have seen / hunted / fished a lot of the State, lived in some of the absolutely most remote locations, and figure I have a good beginning of a handle on things "Alaskan". If you'd like a little info, ask your questions and I'll see what I can do to give you a straight up answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast