Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a new gun

Default Opinions on a new gun

I have been shooting a ruger M77 MKII 7mm-08 (compact) since i was about 14 and I am looking to get a new gun. I was looking at a kimber montana in .300 win or wsm but was kinda scared away from that with all the negative experiences people have had with it. I am currently looking at the Weatherby Accumark. Can anyone tell me if the Accumark is worth the money, and how it performs? I want something that I can shoot accurately at longer distances for sheep and goat and also something with the umpf to take down a brown or grizzly bear. What Makes and models do you recommend as well as calibers.
    Thanks

Don't forget to look at the back in new production in the US Winchester Model 70. Iím not a bolt gun man but if I was to get one it would be the Model 70, a Weatherby, or for good using value a Savage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

FWIW I've had no problems with my Kimber MT 325wsm.

Default .325 wsm

The .325 is a very good caliber for alaska hunting, big enough to take down a brownie and able to fit it into a compact mountain rifle. I just ordered a browning x-bolt stainless stalker in the .325, should be a pretty decent mountain gun for under $1000.

Default Kimber Montana,

in .338 WM! I have had zero problems with mine. The Kimber MT is a pleasure to carry in the field too, compared to my old Ruger.

Get a 450 Searcy!

Default Chalk another one up for Kimber

I've had zero problems and great performance with my Kimber Montana 325 wsm as well. Very accurate hard working rifle. Not quite the snuff of a 338 win mag, but a nice balance of power, recoil, and fairly flat shooting with a 200 gr Accubond.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

GNG has two Remingtons on sale in .300 wsm right now. Hard to beat those and a good price.

I had a .325 WSM Montana and traded it. I never could get it to hold a group. I tried different rounds and different scopes. I love the gun though and as noted above, some have had no problems. I will get another one in a different caliber one day. It was light, but I didn't think the recoil was bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    in .338 WM! I have had zero problems with mine. The Kimber MT is a pleasure to carry in the field too, compared to my old Ruger.
    I may have bought a 338 Kimber MT but they didn't chamber it in 338 when I bought my 325. How much does that gun weigh? Is it a 26 inch barrel?

How does the trajectory of the .325 compare to a .300? And is there even much of a difference in .300 win mag vs 300 wsm when it comes to ballistics and trajectory?

Default 300

the 300 wsm and 300 wm are close enough to the same ballistics that you wont know the difference. Both are great all around guns too. The wsm of course is a short action and some like that. because of the fat cartridges some have feeding problems that the older 300 wm is not prone to. (mine did)
    I like rugers, they are tough as nails not expensive and the new ones I have shot are very accurate. If i shot right handed I would have one in 358 winchester its a sleeper of a caliber and not the brush gun it was labeled as. good luck!

+1 for the new Winchester model 70's. If you are a gambling man go for the Kimber. I have had too much bad luck with that brand to ever consider buying another.

The several Mark V Weatherby's I have are accurate and reliable. I also have two vanguards that shoot great. I personally have never had a problem with a Weatherby. I just like the Winchesters more.

Default Kimber MT

My MT in .338 weighs in at 6lbs 13oz. with a 26" barrel.
    Topped off with the Leupold Boone & Crockett

Weatherby Mark V Synthetic. Accurate and can take a beating. Weatherby stocks really soak up the recoil. Less than a thousand bucks new!

Default clubs

Try the gun out first if you can, see if it feels good and fits you well. The gun thats fits me the best and feels like a custom gun is my tikka t3. It handles and points like a rifle worth twice as much! paid just over 700 for it. To me the weatherbys feel like clubs! Surprisingly when Im guiding now days we dont see many weatherbys anymore at least not like 20 years ago.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Everybody has their own ideas and preferences, and peeves. AND, we all love to recommend accordingly.

I think the VERY BEST value for your money, is the Weatherby Vanguard. You can get it in 300 WM, too.

I too, would avoid the WSMs, even the 325. I never did like Mdl. 70s, and I wouldn't risk one of the newer ones. But, thatís personal.

IMHO, The synthetic stocks on most rifles, are not nearly the quality, of the Vanguards. (See how hard it is to move the forend away from the barrel.) And, as has already been mentioned the Weatherby stock design works great for most people and looks zoomie too.

You can get a VERY NICE wood stock too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Blaser

I have yet to go to the store and see how these rifles feel. I've looked at (on the internet) and like the looks of the wetherby accumark (kinda spendy though)I also have been looking at a few other weatherbys, the kimber montana(heard alot of pros aswell as cons), The Remington Model 700 Sendero sf II, and Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather ss. I also saw on another thread something about a model 700 alaskan ti but I cant find it on remingtons website. I will go to the store and handle these to see how they feel and hopefully it narrows the list down.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Weatherby Magnum, (My favorite Magnum Cartridge) that I purchased at a Gun Show. It is SS, and has a synthetic Stock. It is the cheaper (Injection Molded???) stock.

It's a great rifle, and I've used it for Caribou Hunting at least 3 times.

It's rugged, accurate with my handloads, and very well made. I like the long 26 inch barrel, because the noise is not close to my ears. I can manage the recoil easily too. I think, because the stock design works for me. The shorter bolt lift is good, but not a huge advanage IMO.

It weighs 10 lbs., complete with 3 rounds in the magazine, Scope, Mounts, and Sling, That weight is from a Food Scale, and should be accurate. Some people might find the weight an issue, particularly for sheep hunting.

Ammo for Weatherby Cartridges is Expensive. So is Brass for reloading, but Handloading makes the difference for me. If you're talkin 300 Winchester Mag, that's not an issue, of course.

The downsides of the Accumark are probably weight and/or Cost.

It's a good rifle

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am highly considering a .300 wby mag because my dad has shot one for years and has TONS of brass and I'm comfortable shooting his. But like you said the weight is a down side because I do plan on using it on sheep and goat hunts and dont want to kill my shoulder luggin it around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast