Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Hope judge convicts 3 men in caribou slaughter case, imposes no fine

Default Point Hope judge convicts 3 men in caribou slaughter case, imposes no fine

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Too harsh man!

Wonder if giant moose quarters, 2 miles from camp, could come down with that same disease

Unhappy Gray

It was a little more dramatic than that. Judge Erlich made a mockery of the situation bu swooning over how proud and noble the hunters were by not bring these sick animals into the village and potentially making all of Point Hope sick..... Lots of sicky sweet comments about traditional hunting practices ect..

I am left with out words guys. I know the Judge as I taught and coached many of his grand kids while in Kotzebue. I don't know what to even think about all of this??

His handling of this case will make it very hard for any law enforcement officer to do his job from now on! If a Korean, German, Mexican or ???? hunter were to shoot and leave 125-165 animals in the field claiming that his culture prevented him from harvesting the “Sick” animals we all (including the Judge) would all laugh our as@s off. I have hunted WACH for years and shot many animals, never shot a sick animal ever! I have outfitted many hunting groups as well and never a sick animal, ever! I have seen sick or injured individual animals a few times but never 165 of them, some with calves at side, and never in the early fall when they are thew fattest!!

Wow, what do you say?

Walt
    Gulkana River Rentals
    northwestalaska@yahoo.com
    DYI salmon fishing trips

Obviously not justice. Wonder what kind of precedence this will set?

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Obviously not justice. Wonder what kind of precedence this will set?

Tim
    WHAT????? it is already 100 times more sever then all the other times.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    It was a little more dramatic than that. Judge Erlich made a mockery of the situation bu swooning over how proud and noble the hunters were by not bring these sick animals into the village and potentially making all of Point Hope sick..... Lots of sicky sweet comments about traditional hunting practices ect..

I am left with out words guys. I know the Judge as I taught and coached many of his grand kids while in Kotzebue. I don't know what to even think about all of this??

His handling of this case will make it very hard for any law enforcement officer to do his job from now on! If a Korean, German, Mexican or ???? hunter were to shoot and leave 125-165 animals in the field claiming that his culture prevented him from harvesting the “Sick” animals we all (including the Judge) would all laugh our as@s off. I have hunted WACH for years and shot many animals, never shot a sick animal ever! I have outfitted many hunting groups as well and never a sick animal, ever! I have seen sick or injured individual animals a few times but never 165 of them, some with calves at side, and never in the early fall when they are thew fattest!!

Wow, what do you say?

Walt
    Gulkana River Rentals
    northwestalaska@yahoo.com
    DYI salmon fishing trips
    if you read the same story? 125-165 animals?

Point Hope judge convicts 3 men in caribou slaughter case, imposes no fine

by The Associated Press
    Friday, February 5, 2010

POINT HOPE, Alaska -- Three men have been convicted of wasting meat from two animals in the Point Hope caribou slaughter case.
    The men were found guilty Thursday, three days after their trial before Alaska Superior Court Judge Richard Erlich began.
    The case involved just two animals shot and left on the tundra in July 2008.
    Eight men were charged in the case in which authorities said meat from 37 animals had been wasted. The hunters said the animals were diseased.
    Most of the men pleaded guilty and received fines. But Aqquilluk Hank, Chester Koonuk and Roy Miller decided to take their chances in court.
    The judge did not issue any fines, community service or education.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post

i guess you missed the original artical... that said up to 160 or so animals.

the media slowly dwindled it down...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's not that beeg of a surprise to me, (That little was done) but it's much more disgusting than I could have imagined.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

sooo they recieved fines....but...the judge didn't hand out any fines...man if i ever screw up its gonna be in point hope!!

this little arcticle is confusing...but its a no wonder theres a little racial tension on some of these issues....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Question

Guilty with no penalty just a little judicial sarcasm? What a deal.
    Chuck

No fines or community service??? Why even bother holding a trial? Heck I have been to traffic court, been convicted, and still had to pay the %$%##@ fine and take the points hit.

I have followed this case and with all the "what have yous" and "wherefors" along the way, this comes as no surprise. Still, really really rubs me the wrong way! It will be interesting to see how future cases like this are handled. I'll bet a month's pay this is the last time the Troopers will pursue a case in this area (of course they likely will never get another opertunity since this is for sure the first, and probably last, time this will ever happen). I was surprised and applauded the Troopers when they investigated this and pursued charges, even against fierce opposition from the community leadership which included at least one cry for help to the governor.

I guess one good outcome, to look on the bright side, is that there was a lot of media attention spotlighting something that is horrendous and really got the public stirred up. Unfortunately, it probably won't change the way things are done by some individuals.

Point Hope judge convicts 3 men in caribou slaughter case, imposes no fine

by The Associated Press
    Friday, February 5, 2010

POINT HOPE, Alaska -- Three men have been convicted of wasting meat from two animals in the Point Hope caribou slaughter case.
    The men were found guilty Thursday, three days after their trial before Alaska Superior Court Judge Richard Erlich began.
    The case involved just two animals shot and left on the tundra in July 2008.
    Eight men were charged in the case in which authorities said meat from 37 animals had been wasted. The hunters said the animals were diseased.
    Most of the men pleaded guilty and received fines. But Aqquilluk Hank, Chester Koonuk and Roy Miller decided to take their chances in court.
    The judge did not issue any fines, community service or education.
    The two animals referenced in this article refer to only the two that the defendants admitted to. There were over 100 killed by the group overall, but the prosecuters were essentially unable to tie those caribou killings directly to any one of the hunters. They know they were killed by the group, but there was no way to know which of any specific animals were killed by which shooter.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default The troopers say they found 37

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The two animals referenced in this article refer to only the two that the defendants admitted to. There were over 100 killed by the group overall, but the prosecuters were essentially unable to tie those caribou killings directly to any one of the hunters. They know they were killed by the group, but there was no way to know which of any specific animals were killed by which shooter.

Caribou-killing trial is moved to February

Anchorage Daily News
    Published: November 13th, 2009 10:05 PM
    Last Modified: November 13th, 2009 10:06 PM
    KOTZEBUE -- The trial of the men accused of wasting caribou during a hunt near Point Hope, scheduled to begin this month, has been pushed back, according to court records.
    Assistant Attorney General Andrew Peterson last week filed an unopposed motion to delay the trial until February because of a medical matter that presents a scheduling conflict. At a hearing this week, a Kotzebue judge granted the request.

Eight men have been charged with wanton waste, failure to salvage edible meat, or both after troopers say they found at least 37 caribou rotting on the tundra outside Point Hope in the summer of 2008.
    One of them, Randy John Oktollik, 26, is set to change his plea at a hearing next week, according to court records. An attorney for another of the accused, Lazarus C. Killigvuk, 26, has indicated Killigvuk is also considering a change of plea.
    The others will face a jury in Point Hope. The new trial date will be set at a status hearing next week

Caribou-killing trial is moved to February

Anchorage Daily News
    Published: November 13th, 2009 10:05 PM
    Last Modified: November 13th, 2009 10:06 PM
    KOTZEBUE -- The trial of the men accused of wasting caribou during a hunt near Point Hope, scheduled to begin this month, has been pushed back, according to court records.
    Assistant Attorney General Andrew Peterson last week filed an unopposed motion to delay the trial until February because of a medical matter that presents a scheduling conflict. At a hearing this week, a Kotzebue judge granted the request.

Eight men have been charged with wanton waste, failure to salvage edible meat, or both after troopers say they found at least 37 caribou rotting on the tundra outside Point Hope in the summer of 2008.
    One of them, Randy John Oktollik, 26, is set to change his plea at a hearing next week, according to court records. An attorney for another of the accused, Lazarus C. Killigvuk, 26, has indicated Killigvuk is also considering a change of plea.
    The others will face a jury in Point Hope. The new trial date will be set at a status hearing next week
    Those were just the ones they could find that were left out there. Many more were actually salvaged as they were supposed to.

I call Bravo Sierra! What a mockery of our judicial system.
    Paul

Thumbs up

At least the school kids got a chance to learn the lesson first hand. Nothing beats being able to be taken out of school, sit in the courtroom and watch your breathren "beat the system". Yep, that tough judge showed 'em, real good. Much to celebrate today in Point Hope. Probably going to have a Potlatch.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs down

Point hopeless

taylor

Note to every slob hunter and poacher planning on hunting Alaska next Year: Bone up on possible caribou diseases and carry a copy of the Point Hope case at all times for precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorswithdon View Post
    Note to every slob hunter and poacher planning on hunting Alaska next Year: Bone up on possible caribou diseases and carry a copy of the Point Hope case at all times for precedent.
    well fortunaltly for the rest of us. the BOG voted to Fail the prop that allowed the diseased animal to be excluded from wanton waste. the message was sent just a few days late i guess.

meet on face book here

Talking Back to "Normal"

Well, everything is back to "normal" in Point Hope. Excerpt from the Alaska Dispatch today:

" less than four hours after the judge handed down his guilty verdict and many of the hearing's main players had caught flights home, the white board was repositioned, the scoreboard turned on, and bingo was back."

"It takes a Village........"
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast