Thread: hBN bullet coating

Default hBN bullet coating

Hey all,

I was thinking of doing some hexagon Boron Nitrate (hBN) bullet coating. I've posted a link below, for those who are interested, and www.6mmbr.com has a few posts in the reloading section of the shooter's forum with good links and info too, in case you are interested in reading more. Basically it's similar to moly, and just as easy to apply (using a tumbler) only it's not as messy and it won't react with moisture to corrode your bore. There's also some evidence to say it's even slicker than moly and builds up less in the barrel.

(http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html)

I was wondering if any of you (in the Anchorage area) would be interested in going in on a pound of hBN? The place I found that has it sells a pound for $90, and from what the three or four articles I've read say, you only need about 3 grains (not grams!) for every hundred .30 caliber bullets. I figure I can afford the $100 to get a pound, but it's more than I could ever use! PM me if you are interested.

Right now I'm assuming the shipping won't be outrageous, but I can't say for sure. It's a Canadian company, but I assume shipping it to Alaska wouldn't be too expensive. If it turns out to cost too much to ship, we'll just not buy it!

Default got a pound

I ended up getting a pound of 5 micron hBN, which was the smallest quantity they sell. This is more than I'll ever use (2.5 grains is enough to coat 100 30 caliber bullets) so I'll be selling it off in smaller amounts if anyone is interested. 250 grains, enough to coat 10,000 bullets, for $8. PM me if interested.

Coating bullets with hBN requires little more than some steel BB's, a peanut butter jar, and a vibratory tumbler (same thing used to clean brass). Check out the articles I linked above for more detailed information!

Oh, by the way, I mistyped in my first post on this subject. It's hexagonal Boron Nitrite, not nitrate, just in case there are any chemists reading this!

AKArcherdaddy - do you have any hBN left for sale?

I have been moly-coating my bullets for nearly 20 years now - More recently I was told / heard about the moisture trouble with CM barrels but that it didn't affect SS, I personally have not had an issue but most of my rifles are SS barrelled - I just use corn cob in a vibratory polisher and a little moly and run for a couple of hours, the more bullets in the batch the better (but it is messy to get the bullets out AND you don't want to mix bullet weights or close caliber !!) I then just dump them in a terrycloth towel and rub around for a few seconds and they come out all nice and coated, won't rub off unless you put in your pocket and carry for a day or more - I did pick up on the "health hazard" comment but no more info and I am wondering if I've been damaging myself with the dust while sorting bullets, I found long ago that you definitely want to do that outside and wear goggles or at least safety glasses and be aware of the dust (it will make you eyes scratchy for sure !) I think I want to try the hBN method too ! where is the best place to purchase some of this stuff and how spendy is it ?

I just ordered 1# of hBN online for $70.60 shipped - Now, we'll see ....

Still have some hBN to sell?