Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Bonker?

Default Fish Bonker?

I realize that this is a frivolous and completely inane thread but it is winter and I am bored. I was just outside removing ice from my boat cover and found myself using my fish bonker for the task. I have a segment of a fiberglass handle from a splitting maul. I have had this for years and it is very durable seems to work well (even on the small fish I catch here). My cousin used an oosik for a while, but it was not as durable as was needed. What do others have and use as a fish bonker?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

While guiding for Kings on the Naknek River one of the boats had a moose leg bone that had spent time in a tanic creek and looked fossilized. Some clients liked it so much they dubbed it the "Hammer". Once a fish came on board they would yell "Get the Hammer, get the Hammer"

Ah, good times,

George

Talking Dimond Willow

I use a short peice of Dimond Willow that I hand carved, sanded and covered with polyurathane. It's a nice thick peice with a "pistol grip"!

Drilled a hole through the handle and have a loop of leather lanyard.

Kinda slick...and the visiting relatives love it.

Effective yet beautiful in it's delivery!

A few years back walmart was clearing out some kid sized aluminum baseball bats for $5, works well enough. I had one of those all plastic ones that I'd use dipnetting. They aren't that strong, as I broke it last year. I've also taken a section of closet rod and glued ~4 oz of lead in the end.

Often times on rockfish and salmon I'll just cut a gil and drop it head down in a 5 gal bucket to bleed out instead of bonking. Ling cod and halibut get the attitude adjustment.

Default Lathe

My high school students make them on the lathe all the time. Oak, maple......

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use the handle of my filet knife. There is quite a bit of pop if using a thin blade and more than one pop is seldom necessary.

Halibut are a different story.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

my fist
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I use an aluminum Calcutta fish whacking bat. It makes a great ping when you hit the fish in the sweet spot. My client love it... the sound of success! The only better thing is the shotgun, and the smell of gunpowder, and pulling a Dick Cheney.... shooting the fish right in the face (just behind the top eye)

Some of you who enjoy baseball may recognize the novelty miniature bats. Those are perfect for fish whacking. So much, my 5 year old only goes fishing for the mere ability to use said fish whacker. 198 reds last year, I was hit in the face once. Total wash.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I realize that this is a frivolous and completely inane thread but it is winter and I am bored. I was just outside removing ice from my boat cover and found myself using my fish bonker for the task. I have a segment of a fiberglass handle from a splitting maul. I have had this for years and it is very durable seems to work well (even on the small fish I catch here). My cousin used an oosik for a while, but it was not as durable as was needed. What do others have and use as a fish bonker?

...that would be a hoot to see a picture of your cousin clubbing a fish with his(I mean an) oosik!-lol-
    -do you have one to post, by any chance?

-those police batons are great...

I use a miniature wilson baseball bat (24 inches) long drilled out and filled with lead. DEADLY!

I keep a bowling pin in my boat. Works great and the looks I get are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    [/COLOR]

...that would be a hoot to see a picture of your cousin clubbing a fish with his(I mean an) oosik!-lol-
    -do you have one to post, by any chance?
    No pictures, and even if there were I would be obligated to tell you there weren’t because of the repercussions from posting one
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I use a Glock 29 (10mm) with 200g fmj rounds...shuts `em down fast!

Most of the time just a shorty baseball bat.

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    While guiding for Kings on the Naknek River one of the boats had a moose leg bone that had spent time in a tanic creek and looked fossilized. Some clients liked it so much they dubbed it the "Hammer". Once a fish came on board they would yell "Get the Hammer, get the Hammer"

Ah, good times,

George
    Dang George,

I always knew there was something about you... Now I think I am understanding more...:?

Some creative suggestions. I use a 2 foot long, 1.5 inch diameter piece of oak dowel called the "Ugly Stick". I think someone left it in my other boat 20 years ago and it has stayed. That sucker has wacked a lot of fish.

Default I just use

wooden Closet rods that are about 2 inches thick, they float, cheap at any lumber yard and easy to replace.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default I inherited.....

A whacker with my last boat made from a lathe-turned old wringer from a 1950's wringer washer, dense heavy and effective!

For a spare, you can't beat the big plastic fish whacker from FinestKind.com, great shape, weighting and grip...

I also use an old plastic ax handle - works great. I heard of a guy that uses a black bear femur and i'll probably try that as soon as i get a black bear!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    ME? i grab it by the tail after hauling it across the top of the water with my 100lb tough line in my Alaska special fly rod...swing it over my head and beat it against a rock with a swift sharp flick of my wrist to make sure the air snaps as it swings by.......once.... twice... three. times.... then if it still folps... and if every one is watching... i will kiss it and let it go
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast