Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone book test: 45-70 and 44 mag (part 1)

Post Phone book test: 45-70 and 44 mag (part 1)

In these photos i made my test block by lining a card board box with a trash bag ,filling with phone books and adding water over the last 3 days. the block could have taken more water as they were more damp than wet. In the 2nd photo u can see the 45-70 hole shot at 15 yds and the top left hole is the .44 mag
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Post Phone book test, part 2

From these u can see that the 45-70 350gr speer hot core bullet @ a hair over 2300fps went a little over 12" deep, into the block.

Post Phone book test, part 3

In this photo the 270 gr speer hot core .44 mag @ 1103fps (thru a 7.5 in blackhawk) went a little over 5" in. and in the 2nd photo u can see the org rounds and what the recovered bullet looks like.

Post Phone book test part 4, the end.

In this photo i turned the two fired bullets around. The before and after wts are: 350gr came out @ 296.5 and the 270 gr @232.4. I think next time I Will wet the phone books more,to improve the "mushroom" look.(but than again @.458 dia on the 45-70 its 3, 30 cailber bullets in a pile to start.) The jackets stayed on! Which is what i like in a bullet,that .44 slug at half the speed did pettery good.

Ha, that is Fun I did that like 30 yr,s ago Still have those bag of bullets. We snuck thin piece of plywood in there about 2 down like a shoulder blade of a critter, And yes the wetter the prettier the bullets will mushroom.Carefull 30 cal. noslar 300. win mag we almost shot though the other side Enjoy!

Default interesting

very interesting, it would be neat to see how a 30/06 180 would compare in the same media, or a 405 hardcast.

Very interesting thread.

Thumbs up i will go home tonight and have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    very interesting, it would be neat to see how a 30/06 180 would compare in the same media, or a 405 hardcast.
    and post the pics ....

Atv, acouple of year's ago my brother and I had a test with his 45-70, and my 338.

We put a spot on this concrete kinda 4' culvert that we had,( there were 2 of them really, one behind the other)

He shot first, went through both side's of the first one and bounced off the outside of the secound one, I believe he was shooting 300 gr.

I shot the 338, 258 gr. at the same distance, about 100 yard's, not only went through the first one, but went into the other one on one side and if it did'nt hit on the rounded side it probably would've gone through that too.

It's an interesting thread that you have going on here.

Try a 12 gague slug on that same box, I think all here would like to see those results. I tried one on a planter box that was filled with dirt, and it did'nt make it through a 2x6 at 30 feet.

To think I gave up on phone book testing when I remembered I never ate any phone books. To each his own I guess.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Talking what!!

i just got done with the 06' and u want a slug rock skipper!!! i even looked at the 12 before i shot these.!!!..and thanks BIG AL for all your support. (btw:AL i belive I could bbq a phone book so well,no one would know the differnce)

Smile ok part? with a o6' and a .30 carbine ..well cause thats always ready to go!

this is the box and holes ,and this is a TBBC 165gr next to one of the 270gr .44 slugs i took apart my last fed-TBBC to see what it was amade of put,an it back together........my last one and at 2+bucks a shot ..hell i'm tight

Post part?2

ok these are what they did 3006 at 13 ! and the .30carbine @8!

Post part?

this is the way they look after!.oh yea i did not weight them.i was busy...

Thumbs up part?

these are the books pulled from the deck at about the point, were i would not run over the other.. the 45-70 and the "06" burn thur ! From the looks it will hurt( THE YELLOW on the top rite 2nd pic is the .44)

Great thread! Whether practical in the real world or not this is good data that many of us are interested in seeing. I'm not going to eat a phone book either, but I am curious to see the different "gel" ballistics outcome. Thanks atvalaska for the effort and results.

I still don't see the slug results. J/K

Inspiring thread! I might have to play myself. Let's see - 12 gauge with slugs compared to 450 Marlin w/ hardcast, 300 win mag, 460 S&W, .54 cal. muzzle loader - this could get interesting!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 375 H&H still going

I fired my 375 H&H with 300 gn hard lead at three feet of soggy phone books and it went clear through, it's still going I thlnk. I ate two of the books Al, it tasted like $#!t

Post well me a the dog are headed down the parks..

to see what needs a wacking....will toss the block/whats left of it, in the pick up and the 12ga..now to find some slugs in my ammo cans,i think there at the cabin(btw the tax folks have been out in the steese back woods,cause my tax assement sayz so..)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast