Thread: Alaska DRSS/AR shoot pictures!

Default Alaska DRSS/AR shoot pictures!

Several Double Rifle Shooters Society/Accurate Reloading guys got together this morning for a double rifle/big bore shoot. It was a blast. Litterally!!!! Here's some pictures.

Here's the guns .30-06, .318WR, 9.3x73Rs, .450-400NE, .450NE, 10 bore, 8 bores, 4 bore:

A 4 bore load:

4 bore and target:

Loading an 8 bore:

Default Very impressive!

I just wonder if a rifle of that caliber could handle bunny rabbitts
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

....continued

8 bore in full recoil:

4 bore in full recoil!!!!:

The wads in the reloads had oil on them. It was cold enough to freeze the soft wad solid. The Chrony took a beating!!!:

A recoil comparison for fun:

An average .30-06 recoil for a 180 grain bullet at 2800fps is 20.5ft/lbs at 12.5fps. An average .375H&H recoil for a 300 grain bullet at 2600fps is 37ft/lbs at 17fps. The 4 bore in the picture with full recoil is with a 10 dram black powder handload. The recoil of the 10 dram black powder load is 178ft/lbs of recoil at 26fps!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I just wonder if a rifle of that caliber could handle bunny rabbitts
    Is it wounded and charging?

Brett

Default Extremely Cool Photos!!

Literally, AND figuratively!!!
    My pain threshold keeps me shooting the 16 ga. with 1 1/8 oz. loads at pheasants!

It was alot of fun playing with those big bores of Bob's. That Biakal/Remmy DR that Snowwolfe had was extremely accurate, but the triggers and the auto-safety sucked. I had the taller front sights for my 450 NE sitting in the mail box when I got home.. Next time it should shoot alot lower! And I got the word that my dies and brass are here for the other one.. It'll be interesting to see what that one does!

We'll have to do the next shoot on a week end so the other guys can show up.

Brett, can you show the pic with the 4 bore shells next to the 450 NE and the 30-06? Then the other guys can see just how big that beast is.

Sounds like a plan Mike. Here's a picture of a 4 bore next to a .450NE 3.25", then 9.3x74R, then .30-06:

Brett

Just an update for anyone interested in double rifles;
    We're having another shoot on Saturday the 20th at Issac Walton/ Birchwood starting at noon. If you've got a DR or are twin tube dreaming about them stop by.

With a bit more powder in the 4 bore you would have a good anti tank round

you people might be touched in the head

but I want to come and watch so do me a favor and bump this thread on the 19 so I don't forget about the 20th when yall shoot these cannons again

Quote Originally Posted by michael wascom View Post
    you people might be touched in the head
    You say that like it's a bad thing??? Why???

If it don't heart you didn't do it right!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Never saw a 4 bore before. Can you give a little more information about it. Would be interesting to know weight of bullet, grains and type powder, and what primer to set off such a load? Thanks!

It's not mine I just touched it off a bit. IIRC it tosses out a 12-1300 grn round ball just over 1 inch diameter(with a conical mold being made now.) It uses blue dot or BP to send it down range using 209 shotgun primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Never saw a 4 bore before. Can you give a little more information about it. Would be interesting to know weight of bullet, grains and type powder, and what primer to set off such a load? Thanks!
    It depends on what load you shoot, but the bore diameter is just over 1". The load I shot last time was 10 dram black powder load. The full power load is 14 drams. The 10 dram load had a 2000 grain bullet at 1000fps. This produces 178ft/lbs of recoil at 26fps. They were originally used by professional elephant hunters/poachers during the 1880s and 1890s. With the advent of nitrocellulos (smokeless powder) in the late 1890 speeds were significantly increased which allowed for adequite penetration from much smaller diameter and weight projectiles. The .303 and .450NE were some of the first smokeless cartridges to replace the bore rifles like the 4,6,7, and 8 bores.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Several Double Rifle Shooters Society/Accurate Reloading guys got together this morning for a double rifle/big bore shoot. It was a blast. Litterally!!!! Here's some pictures.

Here's the guns .30-06, .318WR, 9.3x73Rs, .450-400NE, .450NE, 10 bore, 8 bores, 4 bore:

A 4 bore load:

4 bore and target:

Loading an 8 bore:

would hate to be shoot with a 4 bore round my god it scarely thing to see that round comes past and inpact on the animal

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Sounds like a plan Mike. Here's a picture of a 4 bore next to a .450NE 3.25", then 9.3x74R, then .30-06:

Brett
    that is a really big round and it scarely look just next to a regular 30.06 round .