Thread: Thin Ice.....

Default Thin Ice.....

Thin Ice gets the best of 'em......Maby 1inch thick and stable, but not good for Caribou......it also helps to have snowshoes

So why not stroll up (DO NOT stop moving) and pop a couple??

Then a rope about the neck, all the while walking circles around, get about 90 feet away, or as long as your rope allows, and pull 'em slow and low.......ease 'em up and out.
    took 'em both, one at a time to the sled, which was parked on landfast ice and skinned, gutted , butcher'd.
    Tossed the rockhard skins, and heads and the stripped backbones, but the meat had fat...was awsome "Chicken fried"

'Bout 1-1/2 hours from Chilled to frozen...and onto the short trail home.....

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Smile Caribou

Hey stranger nice vittles there. What's the name of that highway? Lots of traffic going to and fro.

Thats the Reilly Channle mouth of Kobuk River, I was South of there, about 20 miles. Its the "Express way" from Kotz to all points East and North....... when you hit that Hard pack highway, you know your gonna be OK.
    Hard pack saves on gas, wear and taer, and with a a used clutch trying its best, I was really wondering if I would make it home. I'm still looking for another clutch, that baby is weak......But now I have meat, so I have time. I was scouting Muskox, and saw a bunch, so's when I get it together, Ill go back, with the wife, and Ox will be "Chicken Fried", according to the wife.....

To think folks say there is no hunting in the winter.

That ain't huntin'....that's harvesting!!

This isn't hunting. This is shopping for soon to be frozen caribou meat in the slightly frozen section.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Well, from the looks of it , they were "Dead Meat".......poor gals....
    You can see the one pooped out quick, while the other made an "S", rather long but alot is outta view, quite a trail for the 20 or so minutes they were in there. It took me awhile to walk out there, they must have thought I was a Caribou, for sure, joining them.
    Might add too, this isnt the first time Ive come across such, either.

I was actually thinking of the post with the Moose in the River when I was there.

....great find!
    -congratulations on the meat-I'll bet your wife was thrilled!
    -wonderful pictures, too!...

nice work! heading down that trail tuesday...going to stop and see hy and then heading out east of there for a couple of days to a buddys camp. hopefully we see some bou'. i haven't seen any thin ice around here its all 4ft thick the stuff ive been on the ice on your pics are kinda scary. were you down in bkl bay? stay safe out there.
    ~justin

Looked like the ice broke off and moved away from shore, from ubove , on the pennensula. I was a bit north west of Escholts Bay, on the Sound on the opposit side of a Lake called "Aakluk" thats on Kobuk Lake side. This was young thin ice, but being salty, it bends insted of shatters.
    I poked it, and it held me, besides, the Caribou were testing it for me ~~LOL!!~~
    Being as cold as its been, Id say the ice was only a night old. A bit of snow was blown over already as well.
    I did pull a bit of a cold n wet trick; I got my knees wet while skinning and they froze hard, and since I had two pairs of socks on, I took my boots off, and with the tip of my knife, popped the stiches out of the toes of the longer pair and pulled them up , over my knees, and kept the now frozen snow pants knees from frost biting my knees on the ride home.

Im trying the lakes North of the short ORV-OTZ trail for Caribou tomarrow. Might see ya!

CRAP!!

trying to get from "Hyper-link" to full size'd pictures on Boto*****it.......Looks like I killed the post........

lemme try again, but since almost 600 have seen 'em, maby ill just get on to the next one...

Shucks......

Broken links, fix them up so I can see. You got me wanting to go up your way and get some, predator control would be a must as well. Hmm, maybe when more daylight comes.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Nothing special, MARV1, just some more pix of Caribou.

I was trying to get a couple Caribou today, and with an empty sled and an English speaking Irishman along, I looked at the sons gas tank gauge, reading 3/4ths full.....nice, and about 1/4th more of a tank than needed for the area I was a hunting, and the circle I was planing.
    17 winding, stalking, hunting miles West of town, -17 below sunny and still, looking among the willows for Rabbits and Lynx, Fox or otters, across the tundra for Caribou.....soon, we were onto 6 fresh sets of tracks from a lake side. We cruized among the lakes and where they met, trying to "Jump" Caribopu around the corners of about 8 lakes, all interconnected and all lined with moss that was barley coverd and plentyfull for the grazing ones. Found where they made land leaving a trail a couple hours old, with a moseey to their stride and alot of where they ahsd stopped to snack. We fiound a drift up a high bank and got up and stopped for a look. When I sat again after figuring a good sneak, I just, by chance, look'd under my travle bag and at the Gauge....on "E".
    Well a snow go gets about 10 miles to the gallon and might have been lucky to have that.
    Screw hunting, were going STRAIGHT home, straightening all curves, flattening all hills, filling thedales, crushing willows and flying over the creeks we rejoind the sweet hard packed trail about where we hd left it, about 6 miles outta town, and soon enough in the yard on fumes and sputters

Freeekin' stupid of me to trust and gauge....I figure the float was stuck, cause I was running normal, and fairly light.

The time of year for Chasing Fur is just getting started.....plenty of light for good days out