Thread: Are these things any good?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Are these things any good?

Have any of you guys, er gals, tried the Quick-measure, powder meters????

Are they as advertised, etc.?
    Are they worth the price?
    Are they better than other measures?

http://www.quick-measure.com/qm.htm

I'd appreciate any info you can give.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've never tried one. My redding BR measure has worked fine for my needs, I never trickle up to weight just dump from the measure to the case then seat the bullet.

Looks too rich for my blood at $160. I guess if a guy loads a bunch of stick powders maybe but I have never had any problems with my $50 RCBS or even with my $30 Lee. If you go for it keep us posted, I ainít adverse to learning new tricks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AD:
    The cost does make me hesitate, and ask if others have used them.

For, example the optional stand, costs $40.00.

I like the idea of leaving the tubes adjusted, and switching them. Those cost $8.00 each.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use the RCBS Uniflow powder measure most of the time. I set it just a little lite then trickle the load to where I want it. A few of the powders that I load does not work well with this measure and I use the Lee powder measure kit. It is a bunch of dippers in varing sizes with a chart you can look up your powder load and tell which dipper or dippers to use. Some large cases will have to use two dippers to measure. I use this as a starting point and weigh all loads on a set of scales. I can get the dippers close enough until they will make my scales start going up then it is easy to trickle the rest of the way. The price tag on my lee diper set is $9.50 but I have had them for a while. My RCBS powder measure will weigh most handgun powders close enough to dump in the case with out having to trickle, but most of these still make a trip across the scales.

Concept-wise they remind me of my ancient Bullseye pistol powder measure. It has interchangeable tumblers predrilled for specific weights. Kinda nice when the tumbler happens to fall close to what you need, but drilling required for adjustment. And of course, I never got around to buying all the different tumblers when they were available.

I like the fact that the tubes are adjustable allowing use like my Bullseye measure. But I really choke at those prices. Seems like pretty good wages each time I readjust a Uni-flow.

Sorry Smitty...while I'm definately a collector of various reloader gadgets, I've not used this one before, so can't tell you if that model is any good or not.

One possibly relevant factor is the type of powder that you'll predominantly be using with it. For example, my Dillon set-up meters very consistently/accurately with spherical powders. Being a trickler by nature I was immmediately uncomfortable with the progressive when I first got it, so I tested and retested and tested some more to make sure it was dropping reliable charges...and it did...time and time again. Granted, the Dillon powder measure is a different set-up, using a charging bar that slides back and forth. However, extruded powders are a big-time no-go...they hang-up and meter very poorly with the Dillon rig...even Dillon says not to use extruded powders with their progressives (and I don't).

Hopefully others here will have some first-hand comments for you Smitty.

Doc (Chuck)

I have a friend that buys any and everything. I'll pass the link to him and get back with results if he bites...

I own a dozen or more powders some of them I even use. I read about this powder measure and read all the great claims about this one. Didn't buy it as I have settled down to just a few measures. The only one I ever find myself bragging on is the Harrell's. They go for more than this measure costs so let your conscious be your guide.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson