Thread: As much as I like Alaska Fishing Magazine....

Default As much as I like Alaska Fishing Magazine....

Familyman got robbed!

His Saffron sauce is the bomb! Steve, I was honored to sample your expertise last year and all I can say was that I was priviledged and surprizingly titilated by your mastership in the kitchen. I have to say thank you for offering your fine tablefare by the campfire last fall. If you weren't there, you'd be amazed by all of the eyebrows raised and the smiles on people's faces! This man is gifted with a cooking talent and all that know him are humbled by his generosity. I know I am!

I'm sure that you will whip up something that will knock their socks off this year!

PS. If you need some tasting judges.... I know one guy that would find time out of his day to give you an honest opinion!

Which issue talked about Steve's recipe? I subscribe to that mag as well. Carrie is in this month's issue holding a nice dolly. I am with John, the safron butter was incredible. Can't wait to try it again sometime soon.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Which issue talked about Steve's recipe? I subscribe to that mag as well. Carrie is in this month's issue holding a nice dolly. I am with John, the safron butter was incredible. Can't wait to try it again sometime soon.
    He wasn't in the issue. That's why I was chastising the magazine (not seriously). I thought he should have won based on his saffron sauce alone!

Yes, I posted in the fishing site a while back about Carrie being a celebrity. That was one huge Dolly!

The real secret to Steve's cooking is that his wife actually does the cooking incognito.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    That was one huge Dolly!

Let me know when you want one and we will take a trip.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Below is the pic from Fish Alaska mag in case anyone is curious. Not our biggest, but it was the nicest picture...

Below is the biggest, a 14 pounder I got on the fly rod. Used the Boga Grip for the first time on this trip. Thought it would protect the fish. Later thought (and criticism) guided me away from using it. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The Boga Grip is the reason this pic was not used. Nice fish though. Now I have my sights set on a 15+ lb dolly.

Dan, have you figured out if you and Carrie can make the trip in late July? Chuck, June, Wendy and I have Ebbtide's boat on the 23rd and we'd love you guys to join in on the fun!

We would of course love to be there. Waiting on work contracts for the summer. Should know more in the coming weeks. If we can swing it, you best bet we will be there. With bells on

Default Thanks John

Familyman got robbed!

His Saffron sauce is the bomb!
    You are one of the very few people in the world that have made it. It is of my own design, and I spent well over a year honing it. I cook for the appreciation of others, mainly my family (one of the very few things I do for this goal, as you have evidence of ) so thank you for yours.

I look forward to this next summer on KP to see you again, along with the others. Fun time last year, I just didn't know to put enough time into it. Now I know better.

This next year its smoked pork butt - enough for everyone. I've been looking forward to it.

Pork butt??

Hell yeah man. That will boost morale around camp. Not that anyone needed it. Ha ha..

Looking forward to it Steve

Why I am all of a suddenly hungry...

Default more about the magazine

Hey John,

I really laughed when I got a complementary copy of their March edition just today.... and guess what recipe it has in it?

Nope, wrong. Not mine.

YOURS. Meaning, the really nice one you just posted a couple weeks ago. They dumbed theirs down a bit and they added one thing that likely will make an improvement (zest from one orange) but clearly its the same recipe.

Too funny, isn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Hey John,

I really laughed when I got a complementary copy of their March edition just today.... and guess what recipe it has in it?

Nope, wrong. Not mine.

YOURS. Meaning, the really nice one you just posted a couple weeks ago. They dumbed theirs down a bit and they added one thing that likely will make an improvement (zest from one orange) but clearly its the same recipe.

Too funny, isn't it???

Why those dirty, rotten.... LOL! My wife got it from an internet recipe site and I have to say it's an awesome recipe! Obviously not my own, but quite good and I'm sure a little orange zest wouldn't hurt it a bit!

I'm looking forward to my copy of the March edition!

Default zest

John,

I tried adding zest of one orange to my regular blackened salmon recipe, and though my wife usually shoos me away from fixin' what ain't broke, she liked it better.

I still have some extra spice mix from the recipe you posted, and got another orange today; I plan on mixing the two with good results on a nice sockeye fillet tomorrow night; I'll let you know.

Oh yeah; I was in walmart today and saw this tired old looking red that said it had been frozen... it was more palest orange than than anything reddish... and they wanted almost 11 bucks a pound for it! I couldn't believe it. What are they charging down in AZ? Or Dan, chime in with what they charge in NC or on the rock?

Bought some red salmon just the other week here on Nantucket. It was a tad over a pound if I recall and cost $15 +/-. It was red "Alaskan" salmon that had previously been frozen. Honestly, that is as good as it gets here man, so I jumped on it. I found some a few months back and got over a $100 worth of it when I saw it. Most often, they have the orangish salmon that doesn't even tell the type of salmon, and surely not from Alaska. Just says "salmon". I shet you not. The red I got recently was fairly, well... red. But it cost an arm and a leg. Crazy what good food cost, eh? If I can make it happen, Carrie and I will be in Alaska with Chuck and John in late July. I would be happy to pay $3-4 per pound to have my fresh caught fish filleted, vacuum sealed, and flash frozen for my return trip. That will cost a hell of a lot less than my alcohol for the week, I assure you

Default fine Alaskan Salmon

We're spoiled here, compared to what you have there Dan.

In addition to the normal rod & reel limits, we have a snagging season early in the summer plus dipnetting in July. And the fee for residents is virtually nothing (the cost of 2-3 pounds of salmon?) for all those opportunities.

Just this dipnetting opportunity is 75 fish limit for my family here. Multiply that times each fish being between 5 and 11 pounds. Of course that also involves a couple hundred invested in nets and the commitment to go spend some great days camping on the beach on the ocean in July; so after the nets are bought the real expenditures come down to gas, ice, and barley pops.

I'd hate to multiply that result (375 to 825 pounds of salmon) by 15 bucks a pound. We couldn't afford to eat much salmon at that cost.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Bought some red salmon just the other week here on Nantucket. It was a tad over a pound if I recall and cost $15 +/-. It was red "Alaskan" salmon that had previously been frozen. Honestly, that is as good as it gets here man, so I jumped on it. I found some a few months back and got over a $100 worth of it when I saw it. Most often, they have the orangish salmon that doesn't even tell the type of salmon, and surely not from Alaska. Just says "salmon". I shet you not. The red I got recently was fairly, well... red. But it cost an arm and a leg. Crazy what good food cost, eh? If I can make it happen, Carrie and I will be in Alaska with Chuck and John in late July. I would be happy to pay $3-4 per pound to have my fresh caught fish filleted, vacuum sealed, and flash frozen for my return trip. That will cost a hell of a lot less than my alcohol for the week, I assure you

June and I would be more than happy so share our reds with you Dan. I have been gifting the JohnSWA house with fish for a while now. It took him a year but he got the red "fishing" figured out last year. So I got to drink beer and watch instead of having to fill the cooler "disclaimer" My legal limit only. I would never ever ever help fill another mans Limit
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

June and I would be more than happy so share our reds with you Dan. I have been gifting the JohnSWA house with fish for a while now. It took him a year but he got the red "fishing" figured out last year. So I got to drink beer and watch instead of having to fill the cooler "disclaimer" My legal limit only. I would never ever ever help fill another mans Limit of fish!

There, fixed it for ya. I don't want to know about you and other men and pushing limits! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

June and I would be more than happy so share our reds with you Dan. I have been gifting the JohnSWA house with fish for a while now. It took him a year but he got the red "fishing" figured out last year. So I got to drink beer and watch instead of having to fill the cooler "disclaimer" My legal limit only. I would never ever ever help fill another mans Limit

Thanks bud. But I would rather come up and get some myself. With you there and a bunch of beer involved. I do appreciate the offer man. I will take you up on it, just in a different fashion.

There, fixed it for ya. I don't want to know about you and other men and pushing limits! LOL!
    Ha ha ha

Nice fix man!