Thread: Favorite Hardwater Lakes

Thumbs up Favorite Hardwater Lakes

Lets hear your favorite lake or river, and your reason why. An ample debate is sure to follow.

I'll start...

Quartz - Not too bad of a drive from fairbanks, I grew up in Delta, so have spent considerable time on Quartz ice. The fishing action is steady, but have noticed is has slowed down in the last three or four years. Overfishing? I think so. It is still fairly pristine, unlike Harding with all of the cabins visible on the shore. It can be windy, but the portable huts have cut that out of the picture. Enforcement has checked me several times, so there is that bother, but I assume it keeps others honest as well.

What do you think?

Having been to busy to fish around the Valley Lakes down here, I would have to agree with you on Quartz. As long as your are fishing the lake in November or December, later in the winter it definitely gets verrry slow. I have had alot of good times fishing out there, I don't think I'm going to make it up this year to fish it though...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I like to fish this lake where I catch 18-20" rainbows almost everytime I icefish it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I like to fish this lake where I catch 18-20" rainbows almost everytime I icefish it.
    I like this lake too....If I only knew where it was....

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    I like this lake too....If I only knew where it was....
    With an occasional 40"+ pike thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    With an occasional 40"+ pike thrown in.
    Still looking for that one.... but I'll get it. Don't you worry.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My favorite ice fishing lake would have to be one of the lakes off of Swanson River Road - Swan Lake Road. Why? For starters there are hundreds of lakes to choose from and depending on the conditions I can either drive right up to one or venture a ways off of the beaten path. There is this one lake in particular that is about a 30 - 40 minute walk that I find myself going to more often than not when I am in this area. Over the years I have only seen ONE person on this lake while I was there although I know there are a few folks that fish here every once in awhile as I have seen the old ice holes around the lake every winter.
    I've seen moose, black bear, brown bear, lynx, coyote, beaver, eagles, rabbit, grouse, and loons while hiking or fishing here. Oh, and the fishing, I have caught numerous rainbows over 20 inches with one hog that stands out that was in the upper 20 inch range and this is not even mentioning the fact that there are some really nice char (dollies) here as well.
    Solitude, close to home, good fishing, and it is on the Kenai National Refuge so I know that no one will ever build a house here!

Quartz Lake is my favorite lake too. The best time is from about mid april till the ice melts. There are alot of 2 foot plus rainbows and arctic char in there. I have caught my fair share of them.